Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Chatwalk - Off Topic Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭ams

For Sapsparrow I thought you might like to see this:
    http://greenweddingshoes.com/real-wedding-annie-jared%e2%80%99s-barn-wedding/

The bride rejigged a Vintage Gunne Sax dress for her wedding gown - pretty!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Sapsorrow

ams wrote: »
    For Sapsparrow I thought you might like to see this:
    http://greenweddingshoes.com/real-wedding-annie-jared%e2%80%99s-barn-wedding/

The bride rejigged a Vintage Gunne Sax dress for her wedding gown - pretty!

Oooh lovely thanks for that! That has to be the most sylish wedding party ever, seriously inspirational all of it. I loved the decoration on the tables and the photography was really excellent! Now all I need to do is get married hmmm....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭Dotcomdolly

Sapsorrow, my mum ragged my hair for my 1st communion :)

Sapsorrow, my mum ragged my hair for my 1st communion :)

Aw that's so sweet, I'm well and truly hooked on ragging now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

Was sitting cross legged tonight on my bed painting my nails. Got up, came back and shook the bottle without realizing I never secured the lid. Now theres nail polish splattered all over my duvet!!

How can I get it out? Yikes! I think there might be stain devils in the press. It'll have to wait until morning though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭lindtee

Was sitting cross legged tonight on my bed painting my nails. Got up, came back and shook the bottle without realizing I never secured the lid. Now theres nail polish splattered all over my duvet!!

How can I get it out? Yikes! I think there might be stain devils in the press. It'll have to wait until morning though.

Nail varnish remover? Although that might be harsh on fabric, I don't know:(

Love sapsorrow's latest pics on WDYWT thread. So pretty. And moonflowers make-up is lovely in the picture, perchance she might post a tutorial. I'm useless at applying make-up, eye make-up especially.

Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World- Awesome.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

LOVED it! So many nerd jokes :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭Pandoras Twist

Same here! My inner geek was chuffed!!

• Advertisement

I didn't know what to expect, but yes it was brilliant! Couldn't recommend it enough!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭fonpokno

I'm dying to see that film! Although I think the girl will annoy me for some reason!

Saw it today AMAZING!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Was looking forward to seeing it, was recommended to go and see it by people whose opinions I respect...utterly disappointed. Got one or two quiet laughs but overall, not impressed. Felt it was one of those 'trying to be funny, geely and cool'..with a nerdy, awkward music boy and multi coloured haired, mysterious girl... anyone with me in the Yawn camp??

For the record, I was so looking forward to it, and spent a fortune going to see it in a cute cinema with couches and cushions and wine :) Those three were the best part.

Ams; that wedding looked so adorable! I want!

Was looking forward to seeing it, was recommended to go and see it by people whose opinions I respect...utterly disappointed. Got one or two quiet laughs but overall, not impressed. Felt it was one of those 'trying to be funny, geely and cool'..with a nerdy, awkward music boy and multi coloured haired, mysterious girl... anyone with me in the Yawn camp??

For the record, I was so looking forward to it, and spent a fortune going to see it in a cute cinema with couches and cushions and wine :) Those three were the best part.

Ams; that wedding looked so adorable! I want!

My view may not be impartial MaryBelle as I am in lesbians with the film but it rocked;)

Loved the 1 up reference from mario.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

My view may not be impartial MaryBelle as I am in lesbians with the film but it rocked;)

Loved the 1 up reference from mario.

In lesbians...yup I laughed at that bit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭Jwacqui

Was at the scott pilgrim premiere, heres some footage of the cast my friend got for anybody that is interested. Seems to be a few fans here.

Has anyone seen TK Maxx's new "luxury'' line? It's amazing! Still really expensive, but half their usual price. They have Versace, D&G, Calvin Klein, Jil Sander, Costume National, Missoni, Moschino, Chloe and even Pucci! For men they have loads of Aquascutum and Calvin Klein suits. Average prices seem to be €350.

Lol was on Liveline today discussing this:

sisleyfallcampaign3.jpg

It caused a bit of controversy because it was in Gloss magazine today.

The photograph is by Terry Richardson (I'm not a fan), an erotic photographer infamous for suggestive shots such as this. Whilst I'm personally not a fan of the man or his methods, I think we should give young people credit and assume, or hope that they're sensible enough to make up their own minds. There'll always be young people who engage in distasteful behaviour but its a bit far fetched to suggest that adverts like this would encourage those modes of behaviour in young people. Its an ironic advert, colourful and eye catching. I'm a twenty one year old woman and see no problem with it, I glanced at it, had a laugh and moved on. This sort of styling is very in vogue at the moment, blending high fashion in more domestic settings, such as this city supermarket. The situation itself is out of the ordinary, the girl is modelling for a clothing company, young people know this isn't real life, perhaps if it was a high profile celebrity endorsing the company in this way it might be another matter. But to the average viewer, its an anonymous, nameless model doing her job, which isn't always glamourous.

What do you guys think?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Lol was on Liveline today discussing this:

It caused a bit of controversy because it was in Gloss magazine today.

The photograph is by Terry Richardson (I'm not a fan), an erotic photographer infamous for suggestive shots such as this. Whilst I'm personally not a fan of the man or his methods, I think we should give young people credit and assume, or hope that they're sensible enough to make up their own minds. There'll always be young people who engage in distasteful behaviour but its a bit far fetched to suggest that adverts like this would encourage those modes of behaviour in young people. Its an ironic advert, colourful and eye catching. I'm a twenty one year old woman and see no problem with it, I glanced at it, had a laugh and moved on. This sort of styling is very in vogue at the moment, blending high fashion in more domestic settings, such as this city supermarket. The situation itself is out of the ordinary, the girl is modelling for a clothing company, young people know this isn't real life, perhaps if it was a high profile celebrity endorsing the company in this way it might be another matter. But to the average viewer, its an anonymous, nameless model doing her job, which isn't always glamourous.

What do you guys think?

I'd seen some other photos from the same shoot. I don't really mind it at all. It's no worse than the Hunky Dory ad's or any of the other 'suggestive' ones over the past few months. In fact, I'd say the actual photography is better. I wouldn't be a huge Terry Richardson fan myself - to the point I didn't know he was behind the shoot.

The ad is there to attract attention, and causing controversy is free attention - They even got air time out of it!! Kudos for a good advertising campaign - It probably wouldn't have worked as well in France or Italy.

Edit; Wait - You were on Liveline today??

• Advertisement

I can't see the picture :( What's liveline? (I live in a cave)

Click this, and it should work - There's something funny about the URL;

http://imagesgonerogue.com/2010/08/sisleyfallcampaign3.jpg

Liveline is RTE/Joe Duffy's radio rant show.. You may be better off in the cave :pac:

Edit; That link seems to have gone AWOL - Think 'supermarket' 'model' 'cucumber' :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

There's a thread in the Ladies Lounge with the picture in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

Liveline is a popular phone in radio show hosted by Joe Duffy on RTE Radio one. It's the Holy Grail for the scandalized and outraged. Think whingers and over reacting oul wans on a grand scale.

On a side note I can't see the pic either, but if it caused controversy on Liveline it's most likely the Joe Duffy fuelled tornado in a teacup scenario and in fact not so controversial at all.

Sisley-Fall-2010-Ad-Campaign-220710-6.jpg

That work?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

Can anyone give me their opinions on this dress please?

It looks long on me in photos, but it comes just to me knee (about 1/2 way down my knee lol, I am 5"5).

I am not sure if it looks to 'grown-up' on me though (I am 19). What do you think?

MeResize-1.jpg

MeResize-2.jpg

What would I wear with it?

Btw, that is not a hole in the sleeve lol, it is the design on the sleeve lol.

I like it but it could be more clingy around the tummy and bust, it looks like you have a fantastic figure, but there's too much material in those areas.

Fajitas! wrote: »
    I'd seen some other photos from the same shoot. I don't really mind it at all. It's no worse than the Hunky Dory ad's or any of the other 'suggestive' ones over the past few months. In fact, I'd say the actual photography is better. I wouldn't be a huge Terry Richardson fan myself - to the point I didn't know he was behind the shoot.

The ad is there to attract attention, and causing controversy is free attention - They even got air time out of it!! Kudos for a good advertising campaign - It probably wouldn't have worked as well in France or Italy.

Edit; Wait - You were on Liveline today??

I completely agree, it was mostly people of a certain age ringing in as well, it being Liveline. There was another 19 year old girl on it too, very well spoken. But she was saying that it had Lolita undertones. A lot of Richardson's photos have, but looking at this one I wouldn't agree at all.

Yes, I was on Liveline. Lord above, I've aged twenty years in a day!
    Liveline is a popular phone in radio show hosted by Joe Duffy on RTE Radio one. It's the Holy Grail for the scandalized and outraged. Think whingers and over reacting oul wans on a grand scale.

On a side note I can't see the pic either, but if it caused controversy on Liveline it's most likely the Joe Duffy fuelled tornado in a teacup scenario and in fact not so controversial at all.

It wasn't Joe hosting it today, its that other fella that fills in for him... my only excuse is that my Dad leaves the radio on in the kitchen. I was in there making lunch today which is when i heard about this 'controversy' and its negative impact on young people yadda yadda. There was wild suggestions that the model was being 'abused' for being portrayed in this way. I consider myself a feminist but this picture doesn't phase me at all, I'm neither for or against it. Its to sell clothes. Theres plenty of 16 year olds on the catwalks in see through outfits, thats the modeling industry for you, its all about your body.

Abused!?! I'm sure she rather enjoyed the shoot and was suitably compensated for it - It is her job!

Y'see, that's the BS that annoys me - there seems to be this mystical preconception by the masses that all models are abused by their agencies, forced to be size 0, shouted at by stylists, lathered in make up by makeup artists, perved on by photographers and sliced, diced and reconstructed by photo editing software... Then presented to the masses to be judged. It's not all extremes. Where's me rolleyes yokey gone...

The whole 'lolita' thing is just amusing though - It's fast becoming code for "PAEDOPHILES!?!?!?!?! THERE'S PAEDOPHILES!???". I'd be more worried about those reading 'lolita'esque thoughts into all these images than the images themselves.

• Advertisement

What's the ad for?

The Sisley Autumn/Winter collection

lindtee wrote: »
    I like it but it could be more clingy around the tummy and bust, it looks like you have a fantastic figure, but there's too much material in those areas.
    Thank you.

Aye, it is slightly loose around the chest, but only at the front, but I have small boobs (32A/32AA :().

I have a slight pot-belly lol so the extra material at the front will help to hide it lol.

The Sisley Autumn/Winter collection

Lol, not that you'd know it, not a lot of fabric to keep you warm!
    Abused!?! I'm sure she rather enjoyed the shoot and was suitably compensated for it - It is her job!

Y'see, that's the BS that annoys me - there seems to be this mystical preconception by the masses that all models are abused by their agencies, forced to be size 0, shouted at by stylists, lathered in make up by makeup artists, perved on by photographers and sliced, diced and reconstructed by photo editing software... Then presented to the masses to be judged. It's not all extremes. Where's me rolleyes yokey gone...

The whole 'lolita' thing is just amusing though - It's fast becoming code for "PAEDOPHILES!?!?!?!?! THERE'S PAEDOPHILES!???". I'd be more worried about those reading 'lolita'esque thoughts into all these images than the images themselves.

Yeah I mean looking at the other photos she looks like she's having a bit of a laugh. Its risqué, but my first thought when I looked at it wasn't "Well this image is condoning the sexual abuse of women." Its in a woman's magazine, the target market is women. Its a bit sloppy and perhaps badly thought out, but Sisley hired Richardson knowing what he was about and they wanted to make a splash. Its clear to me that this picture is aimed at women in their twenties, not teenagers. It is a bit tasteless, like so much of Richardson's portfolio but I think theres worse things to worry about in women's magazines such as air brushing and unrealistic portrayals of women, etc.

That's my two cents.

Lol, not that you'd know it, not a lot of fabric to keep you warm!

Tbh, I think we're just shopping in the wrong places... :(
    Its risqué, but my first thought when I looked at it was "Well this image is condoning the sexual abuse of women."
    Really? I wouldn't have thought sexual abuse really comes into it? Confidence and/in sexuality, maybe, but not abuse.

The sloppyness is a style - The harsh bare bulb lighting and grubby background is all part of an aesthetic that does sell, and tbh, I think they did think it out quite well in hiring who they did to do what they did - As I was saying earlier, look at the hype it's generated, blogs, airtime, forums are all discussing it! It's the old 'any exposure is good exposure' advertising method, and while many won't believe me, it does work!!

Any controversy is great for stirring the masses and generating interest, which equals awareness and €€€!

Tbh, I think we're just shopping in the wrong places... :(

Really? I wouldn't have thought sexual abuse really comes into it? Confidence and/in sexuality, maybe, but not abuse.

The sloppyness is a style - The harsh bare bulb lighting and grubby background is all part of an aesthetic that does sell, and tbh, I think they did think it out quite well in hiring who they did to do what they did - As I was saying earlier, look at the hype it's generated, blogs, airtime, forums are all discussing it! It's the old 'any exposure is good exposure' advertising method, and while many won't believe me, it does work!!

Any controversy is great for stirring the masses and generating interest, which equals awareness and €€€!

Er, I meant my first thought wasn't - amazing the difference a few letters will make!

Yeah, that kind of gritty photography is very du jour. American Apparel loves that shit.

• Advertisement

Ah, kk! Gotcha! :)

The 'gritty' aesthetic is a bit of a coverall too though - I mean, look at Urban Outfitters newsletters/promo material, where it delves into the gritty, filmesque side of photography, rather than the bare-bulb flashed photos prevalent in AA...

Kk..I'll stop rambling.

Ah, kk! Gotcha! :)

The 'gritty' aesthetic is a bit of a coverall too though - I mean, look at Urban Outfitters newsletters/promo material, where it delves into the gritty, filmesque side of photography, rather than the bare-bulb flashed photos prevalent in AA...

Kk..I'll stop rambling.

Speaking of Urban Outfitters. It's has a really bad selection these days. The American store has better and cheaper stock. Seen a shirt in the one in Templebar for 75 euros and was only 45 dollars in the US online shop.

Oh lordy I need money. I want to buy a lot of things in awear! I bought a few dresses in penneys yesterday that I absolutely love.

Curse this rainy weather making me need new clothes... :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Oh I'm so glad it's raining. This weather suits my clothes much better than the nice weather did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭jellie

fonpokno wrote: »
    Oh lordy I need money. I want to buy a lot of things in awear! I bought a few dresses in penneys yesterday that I absolutely love.

Curse this rainy weather making me need new clothes... :P

there are some lovely clothes in awear at the mo, some pretty dresses :)
    janeybabe wrote: »
    Oh I'm so glad it's raining. This weather suits my clothes much better than the nice weather did.

booo! i have no rain suitable shoes! i always end up with wet feet :(

• Advertisement

jellie wrote: »
    there are some lovely clothes in awear at the mo, some pretty dresses :)

I know, they're beautiful... See I bought boots during the year for the wet weather and just don't have enough dresses and stuff to wear with them!
    jellie wrote: »
    booo! i have no rain suitable shoes! i always end up with wet feet :(
    Buy yourself an awesome pair of boots, I got sick of wearing converse in the rain.

Buy yourself an awesome pair of boots, I got sick of wearing converse in the rain.

my stupid calves are too big for most boots :o i have a heeled pair but never find decent flat ones that fit. i LIVED in my uggs last winter but in my old job i could wear whatever the feck i liked, have a new 1 now and not sure id get away with them now, booo :(

Have you tried duoboots? You can buy boots by calf size!

Have you tried duoboots? You can buy boots by calf size!

yeah have a had a look before, and tried some in evans that were wide fitting but any that have fitted just seem to make them look bigger :rolleyes: im small so i just end up looking stumpy with tree trunk legs :rolleyes::o:(

Does anyone know of anywhere in Dublin City Centre that sell's coats with either Cashmere, wool or some other warms materials in them please? For a reasonable price.

I am 19yo, 5'5 and a size 8-10.

I'm looking for something in Black.

Budget, €200 max.

I'm unsure about buying online as I have long-ish arms and a lot of coat sleeves are too short for me.

I'd like something that's young, but that I can wear with anything.

Thanks.

I'd say head into Arnotts and have a look around. There are loads of high street brands, as well as some more up market designers. Also try Zara. Will try and think of some more.

Twee. wrote: »
    I'd say head into Arnotts and have a look around. There are loads of high street brands, as well as some more up market designers. Also try Zara. Will try and think of some more.
    Thank you!

Have you any idea where abouts in the City Centre I'd find a Zara store please Twee?

The biggest one is on Henry Street, beside the Ilac Centre. It's across from the Arnotts entrance with the make up and Topshop. As in, not the entrance beside the Lusa track.

Twee. wrote: »
    The biggest one is on Henry Street, beside the Ilac Centre. It's across from the Arnotts entrance with the make up and Topshop. As in, not the entrance beside the Lusa track.
    Thanks very much Twee.

I'm in Dublin tomorrow so if I get a chance, I'll pop in there.

Thanks again for your help.

Also, another question:

Anyone know where I'd find a pair of plain black Cashmere tights?

Mmmm Arnotts! They have Aristoc, Wolford and some other brands.

• Advertisement
Advertisement