Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Chatwalk - Off Topic Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭Pandoras Twist

Not my style at all but maybe these: Wedge will be easier to walk in than normal heels

http://www.newlook.com/shop/womens/shoes/metallic-strappy-wedge_208372595?icSort=%2BsortDisplayPrice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Going shopping in Dublin on Thursday! This is a big deal for me. I live in Kerry.

Any recommendations on places to go? I know my way around pretty well. Haven't been to Dublin in about a year and a half though.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

What are you looking for Lia, any things in particular?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

I need a new coat! A nice warm winter coat. And boots. I know the big high street stores, but are there any nice little shops around the place I probably don't know about? Thanks :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Lia_lia wrote: »
    I need a new coat! A nice warm winter coat. And boots. I know the big high street stores, but are there any nice little shops around the place I probably don't know about? Thanks :)

Well apart from the main ones, New Look and Forever 21 are brand new so gwan in there! As for coats, Zara is fairly awesome for winter line. My sisters shop there a lot and they're always dressed lovely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭Hermione*

Lia_lia wrote: »
    I've seen some lovely coats in Penney's over the last few weeks. Surprisingly well cut and with a high wool content. I bought a grey, military style, Marc Jacobs-esque coat there the other day for €40!
    There's some lovely boutiques around Drury St/ Clarendon St/ Wicklow St (in or around Grafton St) worth browsing, if you've time, but they mostly tend to be a little pricey.

River Island delivering to Ireland via Asos? Linko

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Good spot Twee!

My mate just rang me from Forever 21 and basically gave me a tour over the phone :p We'd chat for a minute then she'd stop and say "Here Twee, right. Looking at a shirt here, it's really nice, maybe I will buy it. Hmm but how much? €17. SEVENTEEN EURO TWEE!!!" I think she has found her new favourite spot... I can't go near the place until payday!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭fonpokno

I'm avoiding Forever 21 until I have better funds! Although I should probably go while I can't afford anything. I love that shop so much.

• Advertisement

Went in to Forever 21 today and tbh I wasn't impressed at all. It was like a cross between penneys and swamp in Stephens Green. Awfully cheap materials, sequins on everything. Couldn't find anything apart from basics that I would bother picking up.

I must be missing something!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Have to say that I walked through today too with an overwhelming sense of Meh.

Mind you I also felt the same in Lippies, Warehouse, Mango, Topshop, H&M, yadda yadda yadda.

Des anyone actually wear those furry gilets that seem to be the only thing on the rails everywhere? :rolleyes:

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

Think I'll head into town tomorrow to have a look in New Look and Forever 21! so I'll try it on, will give you a shout for pics if I don't make it :)

thanks!
    No probs, have fun shopping.:D
    Hermione* wrote: »
    Aww, that's sweet of you to post the prices! It's a fab dress! I think I'll check it out when I'm in next week.
    I'm afraid it might be too short though - I'm just over 5' 8". Hopefully, it won't be -It'd be a great Christmas party dress :)

Twee. wrote: »
    River Island delivering to Ireland via Asos? Linko
    You are a total star.

I am dying to get some things in River Island but find their Irish stores very expensive.:(

OldGoat wrote: »

Mind you I also felt the same in Lippies, Warehouse, Mango, Topshop, H&M, yadda yadda yadda.

Des anyone actually wear those furry gilets that seem to be the only thing on the rails everywhere? :rolleyes:

I have a lot of time for warehouse actually. Some well executed elegant tailoring.

We spent most time in Warehouse browsing but still bought nothing. Agree with what you said about the quality there, much better then normal.

What struck me most was that while everywhere else was overcrowded with Christmas shoppers Warehouse remained a little island of peace and quiet. Perhaps I was scaring people away. :cool:

Oh and was sad to discover that the Audrey Hepburn vintage boutique in Arnotts is gone (or moved).

I didn't even know there was one!

Yeah warehouse tends to not be as packed, I think its because its that little bit more expensive, and its not trend focused really. Tends to have its own, slightly more classic looks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Sapsorrow

I spent the day browsing round the high street shops today (which I never normally do tbh, I'm usually on more of a charity shop budget) and felt the same way, bored. It's just the same handful of predictable trends in every single shop. Every piece of clothing seems to have an incredibly crappy cut and be made of even crappier materials and I felt virtually nothing was good enough quality to justify the price tag. They're trying to recreate vintage looks so hard and are just churning out such trashy looking tack. Half of the point of vintage (in my opinion) is back in the day things were made in more elegant cuts and more often good quality fabrics, take those elements away and you don't have much left really, so what's the point?

I have to say I absolutely love my furry gilet from the seventies though, although I bought it about five years ago in a Berlin thrift shop so maybe I'm excused? :o
    I have a lot of time for warehouse actually. Some well executed elegant tailoring.

Me too, WAREHOUSE is the only one (apart from maybe monsoon) that really stands out to me, really nice quality compared to the others and the clothes are much classier and elegant. If I were to spend my money on the high street it'd be in one of those two shops, at least a cardi for 80 bucks would be made with real wool if it was from there!

Snobs :p

phasers wrote: »
    Snobs :p

Lol I'm not a snob at all, I'm usually smashed that's why the thought of spending so much money on shoddily made clothes horrifies me so much. If it was 2 quid in Charity shop I wouldn't mind if it was something that looked nice! :D I dunno you get feck all for your money in any of them and anything affordable is just sh*te quality. Although maybe that's the way it should be really, maybe clothes shouldn't be so cheap in the first place!?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Sugar Free

Bought a new suit, sent it to my tailor to get the usual work done. I'm flying abroad tomorrow for work and really wanted to wear this particular suit but she wasn't at home!

There's nothing wrong with my other ones but it's not the same, gah!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭Hermione*

Sapsorrow wrote: »
    If I were to spend my money on the high street, it'd be in one of those two shops: at least a cardi for 80 bucks would be made with real wool if it was from there!
    You can buy a wool cardigan for a lot less than €80, if you look around. It might not be 100% wool, but 90% of the time, it's not pure wool in Monsoon, either.
    You can get a 100% cashmere cardigan in M&S for €80. I bought a coat in Penney's the other week, that's a pure wool-and-cashmere mix, for €50. There's definitely quality to be found on the high street, but you have to be discerning, and you have to know where to look. Mostly, it requires a little patience, no more than the charity shops. It's definitely not all muck, though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭The Cool

Ha, in the woolly jumper shop in Galway where I work the cardigans range from 30 - 65. And those aren't the handmade ones.

Ya I don't think Pennies is the worst at all, and the prices are grand so even if the qualities not great it's at least reflected in the price which can't be said for the likes of Topshop. They've definitely pulled their socks up in the last few years I think, lovely coats this year especially.
    The Cool wrote: »
    Ha, in the woolly jumper shop in Galway where I work the cardigans range from 30 - 65. And those aren't the handmade ones.

Oh do you work in the one on shop street that does really good quality chunky knits aimed at tourists and the likes, just up from Neachtains? I love that shop!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭The Cool

That's the one. Yep, there's loads of lovely knitwear and stuff in. I have a list as long as my arm of what I'm gonna use my staff discount on :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭squeakyduck

Does anyone know where I would go to get a coat relined? I got a gorgeous coat in River Island about 2 years ago but I've worn it so much that the lining is destroyed on it! :)

Also how much would it cost?

Some statistics from the home of the hamsters - where all things Boads.ie works. In the list of Forums by traffic (how much activity there is in each of the 800+ forums ) F&A has been placed at number 20 for the year.

:eek:

On behalf of the mods I'd like to say thanks to the regular posers, say 'Hi' to the occasional visitors and to invite the lurkers to join in.

Thank you one and all for making this little forum such a nice place. :)

Those stats actually made my day! Thanks everyone!

Those stats actually made my day! Thanks everyone!
    I think we ought to Bling up our ModBadges to make them all sparkly.

• Advertisement

Does anyone know if these bra's are any good? I am a 30B and find most strapless bra's tend to fall//slip down, so I'm a bit unsure about these.

Nu Bra Ultralite Bra and Backless bra

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭ams

Thank you one and all for making this little forum such a nice place. :)

OldGoat I could totally see you enjoying this bike ride::)

http://msbitchcakes.blogspot.com/2010/11/biking-adventures-tweed-ride-autumn.html

ams wrote: »
    OldGoat I could totally see you enjoying this bike ride::)

http://msbitchcakes.blogspot.com/2010/11/biking-adventures-tweed-ride-autumn.html

I've seen that before. Isn't it just magnificent!
    Earlier this year I tried to get my hands on an old style bike from an aquaintance who has it sitting around just rusting away. He said it's a future project for him to do but it breaks my heart every time I see it just laying there. Oh well.
    Have I ever shown you my favourite tweeds? Take a look at this guy. Dashing Tweeds. He blends flourescent threads into the weave for cyclists ( and narcisists like me who like to shine in the lights). The plus fours might not be to everyones tastes but the tailors will make the suits to your specifications. Now if only I could afford a bolt or two of the tweed. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 masha22

Can anyone please tell me where can i get any of this collection? Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Futurecrook

Has anyone else ordered from Asos in the past week and had a problem with their order? My order still says it's 'processing' even though I placed it on Monday. I've never had to wait this long before for them to dispatch an order.

masha22 wrote: »
    Can anyone please tell me where can i get any of this collection? Thanks!

http://www.damirdoma.com/site/stockists.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 masha22

Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

I must not buy any more shoes until the new year

maybe if I say it enough times :p

Just in case anyone wants to know there's a ladieswear sample sale on from Wednesday to Saturday 10-7pm next week in the Citywest Hotel leisure centre. I've gotten some beautiful dresses from these guys in the past so someone might find it useful! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Resi12

Mustard and Camel go together right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Sugar Free

I've given up wearing shoes on my way to and from work. It looks rubbish having a pair of runners on but it's just too damn slippy :mad:

• Advertisement

MediumWell wrote: »
    I've given up wearing shoes on my way to and from work. It looks rubbish having a pair of runners on but it's just too damn slippy :mad:

Wellies! I got a pair for a tenner in Aldi and they're deadly. Warm and tons of grip and dry. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

Right, I need some measurements help!

Thanks to phasers I'm now in love with this beauty:

eBayISAPI.dll?VISuperSize&item=140447343890

From their site their measurements go like this:

137750.JPG

My measurements are:

Bust; 38''
    Waist; 33''
    Hips; 39''

So according to the measurement chart my bust and hips fit in the medium size, but my waist is an inch too big for that and would more fit the large size.. I'm stuck as to which to pick because jackets being too big annoy me, they just look awful, but if its too small I won't be able to move my arms, y'know?

Any help or advice would be most appreciated!

I can't see the pic you posted but if it's a coat you need to add 4 inches to your tape/skin measurements to get a size that would fit comfortably.

Sooooo glad I don't have to go to work today, stupid snow.

Payday tomorrow! :D I have a New Look coupon burning a hole in my pocket

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Lady

^Ah they are so cute!

I've been wearing my real fur out the past week due to the extreme temperatures. Only had one comment so far, courtesy of a drunk lad. Feeling quite lucky :o I hate when people comment, I mean I don't say "Hey you, why are you wearing that ugly shirt?" :D It always seems to be men that comment, men wearing leather shoes, leather belts and probably had a steak for dinner :rolleyes:

The coat is long dead, my grandmother bought it in Switzer's as a 21st present for my auntie. Auntie hated it, but was told "Marie! You are a young lady and young ladies need a fur coat!". I AM against new fur, as there is no need to farm fur because of synthetic fur being so good. But then again, I probably wouldn't give a crap if I lived in Siberia!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Futurecrook

Placed an order with Asos two weeks ago and haven't heard anything about it. Contacted them about it there about it today just wondering if it was the weather that had caused the delay with it being dispatched and they replied to say it's been lost with their feckin carrier. So not impressed. :(

^ Only had one comment so far, courtesy of a drunk lad.
    Supprised he could tell fur from faux. :)

Jeezz Dee! A bit of a posting frenzy this morning. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭unepetite

Wasn't sure quite where to ask this but don't think it warrants its own post so I thought perhaps here would be appropriate.

Getting a manicure next week in Nails Inc (pre Christmas party treat). I have a nail varnish I'd like applied; but it's not Nails Inc. Just wondering do places who have their own line allow that......I sound like a child but you never know!

• Advertisement
Advertisement