Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Chatwalk - Off Topic Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

unepetite wrote: »
    Wasn't sure quite where to ask this but don't think it warrants its own post so I thought perhaps here would be appropriate.

Getting a manicure next week in Nails Inc (pre Christmas party treat). I have a nail varnish I'd like applied; but it's not Nails Inc. Just wondering do places who have their own line allow that......I sound like a child but you never know!

Yeh! Couldn't see why they wouldn't unless it's a really cheap nail varnish thats hard to apply.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Ugh the clasp on my pretty birthday shoes (Picture) broke after one wear, so I returned them to the shop. They said they'd send them off and call me when they're ready. That was about FIVE weeks ago, so I popped in yesterday to see what the story was. The sales assistant was so lovely and apologised so much for the delay. She then complained about the owner of the shop being a little unorganised... So she went out the back and my shoes were there, just sitting there, and repaired :rolleyes: No tag on them, no copy of the docket, not even a note. Very annoyed. The girl asked would it be ok if she cleared it with the manager before she gave them to me, as although they're 99% mine, she just wants to make sure. Yeah no problem I said, just ring my as soon as because I really want them back.

Would I have ever gotten them back if I hadn't called in!?

</rant>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭spinandscribble

Thats really bad of them Twee. Obviously don't care about repeat service.

Yeah I pretty pissed off. My mother would be a regular customer there, and you kind of expect better service from a boutique, non-chain store.

Anyway. If they don't call by Monday I'll go in again. It's Christmas party season, I need my party shoes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

Can doing a lot of sport that involves a lot of intense shoulder/arm work change your bra size? I've never done any sport before about 6 months ago and normally I wear a 30D or 30E, but after remeasuring myself there and putting it into one of those calculators I come out as 30B, can it change that drastically? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

Can doing a lot of sport that involves a lot of intense shoulder/arm work change your bra size? I've never done any sport before about 6 months ago and normally I wear a 30D or 30E, but after remeasuring myself there and putting it into one of those calculators I come out as 30B, can it change that drastically? :)

Boobs can change! I was measured almost a year ago and was a B cup and then about 2 weeks ago, I decided to get remeasured and was a D. (Due to a change in Pill, I think) But yeah, losing weight and stuff can affect boob size, so getting measured is a good idea. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭jellie

ugh, neverending search for xmas party dress, not finding anything! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

If anything, it probably would have increased your band size due to muscle development. Can't really see it reducing your cup! If you're comfortable in a 30D/E, stick with that, because a 30B sounds like a recipe for massive overspill of boob.

Also, I have NO idea what I want to get for my Christmas clothes. I can't decide if I want to just get something casual or something fancy, and within that there's a hell of a lot to choose from. I'm also pissed off that the coat I saw and fell in love with in Next yesterday is completely out of stock in the stores and website in a size 12. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I personally love a cute comfy jumper on Christmas! Great for lounging around and eating way too many sweets :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Resi12

I have just recieved my red trilby hat from ASOS :D.. then I opened it and it was squashed in delivery, packed into a small package. Now the front is floppy and the sides are moulded into an odd form.

Anyone know a way to get it reshaped, it's too gorgeous to return. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

Can't believe they packaged it so carelessly!!

You could maybe heat it with a hairdryer, stuff it immediately afterwards and leave it for a few days to let it take shape?? Dunno what you could do to the sides; flatten them using books as weights or something?? I realise that advice might sound daft; but it might just work???

I stupidly put my gorgeous, limited edition MAC Gel blush into my suitcase(checked luggage) at the weekend and when I opened it at my destination, air pressure had played nasty tricks with it, and it had completely curdled and become a lumpy, liquidy mess. But I LOVE it; and as I said, it was a limited edition and can't be bought anymore. I don't know what to do with it. I was thinking if I could perhaps heat it up, mix it thru again and let it set it might be ok; I suppose it's worth trying anyway; thoughts??

Maybe stuff it with newspaper?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Madame Razz, I'd say heating would be your best bet. HATE when my favourite make up gets messed up like that!

RE the hat thing, I got a horribly misshapen hat once too (it was on sale for a euro so I sort of rescued it ;)) and I just stuffed it and let it sit for a few days. Did the trick nicely. That hat is AMAZING btw

Also I got some overtime at work so I don't feel guilty about this week's shopping spree anymore :D

Gap skinny jeans: Size 12 to fit the waist, size 16 to get over my calves.

:mad:

Gap skinny jeans: Size 12 to fit the waist, size 16 to get over my calves.

:mad:

So annoying! I've a Topshop pair on today and they are loose on the waist/hips, but the smaller size wouldn't pull up past my knee! :confused: So now I've a belt on, but they look saggy on the arse :(

• Advertisement

Twee. wrote: »
    So annoying! I've a Topshop pair on today and they are loose on the waist/hips, but the smaller size wouldn't pull up past my knee! :confused: So now I've a belt on, but they look saggy on the arse :(

That always happens to me! I love Topshop jeans, but I get saggy arse all the time in them! :mad: My mam is always sayin' to me, "Will you pull up your jeans!" :(

Novella wrote: »
    That always happens to me! I love Topshop jeans, but I get saggy arse all the time in them! :mad: My mam is always sayin' to me, "Will you pull up your jeans!" :(

It's so sad! The best skinny jeans ever were the Pippa and Lila from Topshop, but they discontinued them. I even made my manager write in the trade report that "lots of customers" were asking for them in a bid to bring them back :p

I like the Jamie's (ones I have on now) but I don't think I'd bother with them again. I need to find a brand with a long zip without being high waisted. I find River Island's are slung too low and don't flatter my figure.

Twee. wrote: »
    It's so sad! The best skinny jeans ever were the Pippa and Lila from Topshop, but they discontinued them. I even made my manager write in the trade report that "lots of customers" were asking for them in a bid to bring them back :p

I like the Jamie's (ones I have on now) but I don't think I'd bother with them again. I need to find a brand with a long zip without being high waisted. I find River Island's are slung too low and don't flatter my figure.

I have two pairs of Jamie's and a pair of Baxter (I think?!) and I waaaay prefer the Jamie's. And Topshop jeans over River Island by loads, even though I have soooo many pairs of RI jeans from working there, never found them as comfy. I like my jeans higher up too, without being high waisted, but that's kinda hard to find. That's why I wear a lot more dresses and tights or leggings than jeans.

I have two pairs of Jamie's and a pair of Baxter (I think?!) and I waaaay prefer the Jamie's. And Topshop jeans over River Island by loads, even though I have soooo many pairs of RI jeans from working there, never found them as comfy. I like my jeans higher up too, without being high waisted, but that's kinda hard to find. That's why I wear a lot more dresses and tights or leggings than jeans.

Yeah I've really found myself in a lot more dresses this year because I can't find good jeans! Hopefully will be on the J1 next year and can get some cheap Levi's :D

I've actually never had any jeans from Topshop, their skinny and straight-leg jeans always looked way too small in my size for the Calfs Of Doom. Love RI boyfit and slouch jeans though. I've taken quite a liking to Gap jeans lately, their bootcut and flared styles fit me really well. I also like A-Wear Fit and Flare jeans. For work I wear dresses quite a bit, mostly because when I was starting in my job it was the easiest way to look a bit smarter when I had feckall money to spend on clothes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

It's good to know that I'm not the only one who hates jean shopping... I need a longer zip to flatter my figure, too low slung just isn't nice :(

Bar Levis what other brands are are highish??

Next have a pair of high-waisted bootcut jeans at the mo, saw them in Dundrum the other night.

@Pembily - this is what I was on about btw :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭moonflower

Pembily wrote: »
    It's good to know that I'm not the only one who hates jean shopping... I need a longer zip to flatter my figure, too low slung just isn't nice :(

Bar Levis what other brands are are highish??

Dr. Denim, from Brown Thomas but they're not expensive. High-waisted and straight leg, they're perfect.
    American Apparel does high waist zipper jeans which I really like, they're quite tapered towards the bottom, but they're weirdly flattering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

I don't need any jeans at the minute (just need to fit back into my own jeans :(:(:(:( )but I will look at those brands, thanks a million!!! Will say it to my mom too :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Not owning a hair dryer isn't that bad. I don't own a hair brush. I have no suggestions though obviously!

Best hairdryer would be an ETI or a Parlux, the ETI ones are great and they are a lot cheaper than the Parlux ones; all of the Peter Mark salons stock them; I've been using them for years and can't praise them enough; lovely long lead on them aswell.

For a brush get yourself a big ceramic one like this:

31ParLcM0oL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Heat the brush before you use it, then pull it down your fringe following it with the hairdryer. You can pin back sections of the fringe and dry it piece by piece, or do it all in one if you're in a hurry.

Once you have done that, heat the brush again, put it under the fringe and pull it so that the fringe is curling with the shape of the brush. Hold the hairdryer outside of the fringe whilst doing this. You need to pull pretty firmly on the hair whilst doing this.

I hope that makes sense, I had a dringe like that previously, and that was how my hairdresser showed me how to do it, and honestly his advice was spot on, my fringe always looked good. It's very easy to do aswell:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Sapsorrow

Best hairdryer would be an ETI or a Parlux, the ETI ones are great and they are a lot cheaper than the Parlux ones; all of the Peter Mark salons stock them; I've been using them for years and can't praise them enough; lovely long lead on them aswell.

For a brush get yourself a big ceramic one like this:

31ParLcM0oL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Heat the brush before you use it, then pull it down your fringe following it with the hairdryer. You can pin back sections of the fringe and dry it piece by piece, or do it all in one if you're in a hurry.

Once you have done that, heat the brush again, put it under the fringe and pull it so that the fringe is curling with the shape of the brush. Hold the hairdryer outside of the fringe whilst doing this. You need to pull pretty firmly on the hair whilst doing this.

I hope that makes sense, I had a dringe like that previously, and that was how my hairdresser showed me how to do it, and honestly his advice was spot on, my fringe always looked good. It's very easy to do aswell:)

Legend :D Woman you couldn't be any more useful if you tried! :pac: Thanks so much, I'm pretty excited about having a lovely new fringe now, got my hair done in Marks so will pop back in to see what they have!

Sapsorrow wrote: »
    Legend :D Woman you couldn't be any more useful if you tried! :pac: Thanks so much, I'm pretty excited about having a lovely new fringe now, got my hair done in Marks so will pop back in to see what they have!

Glad it made sense:o

That was Toni and Guy advice too so it MUST be good!! Ah no, seriously, it actually does work, and it's very easy to get the hang of.

This is a link for one of the ETI dryers, Peter Mark actually have them pretty well priced too, and they last years; a good dryer makes a huge difference to styling your hair:)

• Advertisement

This is a link for one of the ETI dryers, Peter Mark actually have them pretty well priced too, and they last years
    Woman you couldn't be any more useful if you tried!

Lol I take that back! What about the Nicki Clarke or Toni and Guy brand ones in Argos? Anyone know if they're any good? They might be a bit closer to my price range... Also are hairdryers essentially all the same? There are so many in Argos (http://www.argos.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?storeId=10152&langId=111&q=HAIR+DRYER&pp=Show+all&s=Relevance&p=1) It's be well hard to pick one, it's just for my fringe like! :confused:

As far as I remember, Peter Mark price the ETI ones at under €50, they are well worth it, honestly. But of those two you linked I'd definately go for the Toni and Guy one.

As far as I remember, Peter Mark price the ETI ones at under €50, they are well worth it, honestly. But of those two you linked I'd definately go for the Toni and Guy one.

Oh 50's not that bad! I'll pop into Marks so tomorrow!

Oh 50's not that bad! I'll pop into Marks so tomorrow!

It's been a while since I bought mine but it was definately under €50 euro at the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭pikachucheeks

This is a long shot ... but is there any way to fix a GHD if you eh ... stand on it? :o

I had mine on my bedroom floor and walked on it ... Gutted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭Pandoras Twist

theres places that do GHD repairs. Just give them a google (and Im sure they were mentioned on boards before)

On the subject of jeans, the baxters were the worst quality pair of jeans I ever bought, and being a student I bought 2 or 3 pairs as my friend worked in Topshop. They all ripped on the thigh, hers ripped in the exact same place, and only after about a month of wear.

In terms of durability I find River Islands to be better than most, but I do hate that they are so low slung.

I got a pair of Dr. Denims in BT2 and they've lasted ages. Good quality denim

Gonna attempt to head out to Blanch now with my mam. Need a pair of low heeled black shoes that are comfortable. Ugh, why is it so hard!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Ooooh look, snow.
    Yummmy.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

Just forked out on some benefit bad gal mascara in black, really hoping it lives up to it's reputation in the morning!

Anyone heard of Goody ceramic brush's? Got one in boots today, wondering if anyone has tried and tested them as I wouldn't be able to tell if it's as good as it could be or not!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

I did find Badlash's good and I've stumpy little lashes!

This is a long shot ... but is there any way to fix a GHD if you eh ... stand on it? :o

I had mine on my bedroom floor and walked on it ... Gutted.

A place in Santry, in industrial estate across down the road from the Swiss Cottage has a sign saying GHD repairs.

Just tried it there, it's good n all but nothing spectacular, I'm a bit disappointed. Good if you're looking for a very natural look, I like something a bit more striking myself. Think I'll go back to Dior Blackout next time.

Anyone heard of Goody ceramic brush's? Got one in boots today, wondering if anyone has tried and tested them as I wouldn't be able to tell if it's as good as it could be or not!

Tbh most ceramic brushes are pretty good; if it's proper ceramic(and if they're stocked in boots they will be) it'll work really well:)

Just tried it there, it's good n all but nothing spectacular, I'm a bit disappointed. Good if you're looking for a very natural look, I like something a bit more striking myself. Think I'll go back to Dior Blackout next time.

You can't beat Dior but it dries out sooo quickly!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

I find the next best to Dior is L'Oreal Telescopic, never saw the fuss with Bad Gal myself!

• Advertisement

Larianne wrote: »
    You can't beat Dior but it dries out sooo quickly!

I noticed that two, it was amazing for the first week or two.
    Dolorous wrote: »
    I find the next best to Dior is L'Oreal Telescopic, never saw the fuss with Bad Gal myself!

Ok will give that a go. The bad gal looked good enough for the first hour or two but it seems to fall off the tips of your lashes as the day goes by and they aren't nearly so long looking then :( It's not very thickening either. Not very happy with it overall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Looking for a bit of fashion advice...I brought this one shoulder dress from Warehouse : http://www.warehouse.co.uk/jewel-dress/Dresses/warehouse/fcp-product/302739 , I want to wear it out over the Christmas but its so cold out there I will need to put something over it to keep warm. What would be best over it??

If you were just going for warmth, I think any knee length black coat would do. You could add a broach to the collar for some sparkle. Or you could add a fur collar , one in Topshop If you were going for glam, maybe a wee fur coat? This one is from Awear and I also saw a nice one in New Look, but it's not online anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭rannerap

Kris kindle at work tomorrow and I have absolutely NO IDEA what to get :(:(:(:(:(

Kris kindle at work tomorrow and I have absolutely NO IDEA what to get :(:(:(:(:(

One of the old reliables - chocolate or wine.

• Advertisement
Advertisement