Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Chatwalk - Off Topic Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

I also hate being approached and asked is everything all right. One of the worst jobs in River Island was being stuck at the front of the store and being told to greet everyone. You were always completely ignored or else scared people off.

+ a million zillion! I worked in RI and my god, that was a nightmare!

Tbh, I hate the, "Hi! Are you okay?" when I'm just wandering around a shop. Greet me or whatever, but if I want something, I'll ask. The hard sale technique drives me up the wall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Sibylla

Becoming addicted to Irregular choice :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Sibylla wrote: »
    Becoming addicted to Irregular choice :o

that's a good thing ;)

Links234 wrote: »
    that's a good thing ;)

I completely agree with you but the credit card doesn't........:D:p

I completely agree with you but the credit card doesn't........:D:p

I guess I'm the same with Dr Martens :p
    really, really want a new pair, but the wallet is hurting

I do plan to get a pair of Irregular Choice some day though, they're really amazing :D

You absolutely should Links. Have you seen their boot collection? :)
    http://shop.irregularchoice.com/womens/view_all/boot/

I have :D

The only thing is, they don't do much in my size

these are gorgeous

2678-6-xl.png

I don't think I'd really be able to pull them off though, I'm really not that fashionable :p

I bet you could, I was wary of trying irregular choice too but it's surprising how many outfits they work with. Those boots are gorgeous you should go for it if they have the size :)

I might at some point :D I'm generally not a fan of heels, but I'll probably make an exception

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

Twee. wrote: »
    Yeah it didn't even look like she was wearing Cos stock, pretty bad IMO. And it's not a stand alone store, it's a concession in BT2, and Brown Thomas is associated with luxury and all that, so you'd except to see it! I could have been the mystery shopper! Not even a nod of existence, let alone a hello. I think after working in retail you really notice things a lot more than before!

Should have asked for the manager :p

EDIT: the last Cos I was in before Dublin was Berlin and the staff were lovely, well dressed and polite.

I was in the Berlin one too, and Paris, I think I spend more time browsing there than buying there! I think if you're of a certain age or dressed a certain way they make assumptions and that's terrible customer service imo.
    Working for so many years in retail means I always hang clothes back perfectly in the changing rooms or if I drop something on the floor. I even straighten shoes on displays.

With regards to service though, its actually made me care less if someone is texting or looks bored or whatever. I've been there a million times and retail is a bloody horrible job. I'm paying for the product, not a smile with it.

I also hate being approached and asked is everything all right. One of the worst jobs in River Island was being stuck at the front of the store and being told to greet everyone. You were always completely ignored or else scared people off.

I'm the exact same but I've encountered many nasty and rude shop assistants that I'm amazed they still have jobs! I feel like I should be privileged to enter their store...

My friend had a 'welcome' job like that in Next. I think its such a jokey position... its a very American attitude to customer service and don't think it translates to Irish/British customers who just want to browse in peace!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

I want to buy soo many things but have little money. Boo.

This will be my next purchase.

image1xl.jpg

Just on this rude staff thing - I was in Tesco tonight (I know this isn't exactly F&A related) but the staff were listening to i-pods! Wtf!

Saw that in my local Tesco a few weeks ago too! Maybe we go to the same! Customer service is definitely changing :rolleyes:

Novella wrote: »
    Just on this rude staff thing - I was in Tesco tonight (I know this isn't exactly F&A related) but the staff were listening to i-pods! Wtf!

Was it when they were on the tills or stacking shelves? I've seen them do it when they were stacking shelves late at night, if its after 11.30 or something in a 24 hour store I don't mind so much, but before then it'd be a bit rude.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

(I know this isn't exactly F&A related)
    It's an on and off thread chat so feel free to go wherever the conversation leads you.

/Worms, can, open :cool:

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

Where they small headphones? Just asking because in my local Tesco they are wearing these stupid intercom headset things to talk to each other. Might have been one of them?

Saw that in my local Tesco a few weeks ago too! Maybe we go to the same! Customer service is definitely changing :rolleyes:

Drogheda was the one I was in.
    Was it when they were on the tills or stacking shelves? I've seen them do it when they were stacking shelves late at night, if its after 11.30 or something in a 24 hour store I don't mind so much, but before then it'd be a bit rude.

They weren't doing either, mostly just wandering around the store and it wasn't that late at night. I dunno, it looked wrong!
    Where they small headphones? Just asking because in my local Tesco they are wearing these stupid intercom headset things to talk to each other. Might have been one of them?

No, they were definitely listening to music!

They weren't doing either, mostly just wandering around the store and it wasn't that late at night. I dunno, it looked wrong!

That is so unprofessional. I understand the job might be boring but come on like, if your working with the public you should have more cop on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭squeakyduck

Get Mary Portas on their asses! :rolleyes: People shouldn't be listening to music doing their jobs unless they are out the back and can't be seen!

I've been reading some of your posts, now I understand that most people wouldn't like to be disturbed in clothes shops myself included but I seem to get the idea that not greeting customers or leaving them to their own devices should be implemented in all sales stores?

I work in sales, and upon greeting people there is a 50-50 mixture of people ignoring me/wanting to be left alone and then people who come straight up to you as they need your assistance and are very happy that you have come to them.

Can anyone win here? In my job we are told to greet the customer and leave them browse for a little while and then ask them are they ok, we are not doing our job properly if we don't. Some old guy acutally told me to **** off when I went to see if he was ok because looked genuinely confused. :confused:

• Advertisement

Yeah, you can't win! I don't mind being greeted and asked am I okay, it's just the hard sell that I hate - Lush for example. In River Island, we were told not to ask, "Are you okay?" but to ask questions that the customer couldn't answer yes or no to, so as to start a conversation and to say things like, "Oh, I see you're looking at that skirt! Let me show you this top, it'd go so well with it!".

I hate that. I'm not unfriendly, and I always chat with the person at the till etc., but jesus, leave me alone when I'm browsing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭ams

Sapsorrow - spotted you on the City Style Cork blog today! Looking good!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭KamiKazeKitten

I want to buy soo many things but have little money. Boo.

This will be my next purchase.

image1xl.jpg

:eek:
    Where's that from? It's gorgeous!

Woah, that's really out of line!! They shouldn't be doing that, its one thing when you're restocking shelves past midnight... I have never worked anywhere that'd let you get away with that!!

:eek:
    Where's that from? It's gorgeous!

It's Lipsy. From ASOS Link

Just discovered Vivienne Holloway dresses thanks to Dolorous post in the purchases thread. They are gorgeous! Does anyone have experience ordering from them in terms of delivery and fit? :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭pikachucheeks

Just discovered Vivienne Holloway dresses thanks to Dolorous post in the purchases thread. They are gorgeous! Does anyone have experience ordering from them in terms of delivery and fit? :)

My debs dress was from there :)

The delivery time is pretty fast, but the sizing tends to be pretty small, or at least, it certainly was four / five years ago.

In my experience, the sizing was roughly two sizes smaller than regular sizing. IE. a 12 fits like an 8.

That might have changed, however.

Thanks very much! :) Will have to get one soon. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Lia_Lia your post in WIWT made me giggle..your outfit is lovely as is your hair but your brother's comment is so typical..in my home house, we don't have any mirrors long enough to see your whole self, so I can never see my shoes, and always have to ask my brothers for their advice; which is always pretty funny, brutally honest and makes me laugh!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Brothers and fashion, oh the memories!

the only full length mirror in the house is in my room, and whenever they were going out with a girl they'd slope into my room, look in the mirror and go "does this look gay?"

I'd say no then they'd ask to borrow my straightener! :D Always gave me a laugh.

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

My debs dress was from there :)

The delivery time is pretty fast, but the sizing tends to be pretty small, or at least, it certainly was four / five years ago.

In my experience, the sizing was roughly two sizes smaller than regular sizing. IE. a 12 fits like an 8.

That might have changed, however.

Yep their sizes are not the same as high street, closer to 1950s sizing afaik. That's why when you order they ask for your measurements and not your dress size. You need to get a tape measure if you don't have one, trying to guess by your normal size won't work!

• Advertisement

There's no full length mirror in my home house either, but my brother is definitely not the kind you'd ask for fashion advice. For god's sake, the other day I mentioned that Captain Morgans is on special offer in Tesco and his reply? "Good for girls, but like lads drinkin' it is gay". A drink can be gay now?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Lots of brothers in this forum! My brother is 27 and still I bring him out once or twice a year to sort him out with new shirts and jeans! I would never ask his opinion on my clothes, but he's sweet and will tell me if he thinks I look nice, that's a nice jacket etc.

I have a big 21st party tonight. Let the preparations begin!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

mine are very different style wise. One dresses (and we take the mick outta him for it!!) like Glen Hansard; you know, cords, check shirts, converse, wooly hat and beardy. The other varies from a rockabilly style complete with tattoos and piercings (hair however, being the most important) to baggy combats and hoodies. NO WAY would skinny jeans, pointy shoes or angular haircuts cut it in our house!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭KamiKazeKitten

It's Lipsy. From ASOS Link

Thanks, it's so pretty!

Hey girls, I'm organising a themed night with friends, Which era do you think would be best to emulate? Thinking 30's/50's :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭unepetite

Hey girls, I'm organising a themed night with friends, Which era do you think would be best to emulate? Thinking 30's/50's :)

1950's all the way. The ultimate fashion era.

I should have been born then. :o

Thanks unepetite, The general consensus seems to be 50's, Looks like a lot of fun to try as a look!

2050's. :)

The futuristic look would be fun, Hadn't thought of 2050 :)

Go Barbarella all over it. :)

• Advertisement

Ideal for next years halloween costume! Thanks Old goat!

The futuristic look would be fun, Hadn't thought of 2050 :)

futuristic you say?

http://shop.cyberdog.net/

:D

Ideal for next years halloween costume! Thanks Old goat!
    /Checks PM's for an invitation. :cool:

Thanks for the link to that site Links! Old goat halloween invitation on the way :P Have decieded to go with a 50's theme. It's for a friends birthday and she loves the era. Must do the futuristic look in the near future! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Sapsorrow

ams wrote: »
    Sapsorrow - spotted you on the City Style Cork blog today! Looking good!

Oh crap, I forgot about that, missed my chance to see it now :(

Edit: never mind, found it! Mad they wanted to use it, such a boring outfit!

Is anyone thinking of heading to this? Sounds like it might be worth a trip.

The below is pasted from the Prudence magazine mailout:

Vintage will always be fashionable but now it can be affordable too with Wild Child's Vintage Kilo SALE on this Sunday, February 27th. That day quality vintage threads are ON SALE AT ONLY €20 PER KILO. There will be three tonnes of good-quality, on-trend vintage clothing from the 60s through to the 80s, all separated by type in racks of dresses, jackets, etc. Your purchases will be weighed, so you can get five light cotton dresses and t-shirts for JUST €20 which works out at ONLY €4 PER ITEM! The SALE takes place at Wild Child Originals Warehouse in Harold's Cross from 12 noon to 6pm this Sunday. Phone 087-2386143 for more information.

Is anyone thinking of heading to this? Sounds like it might be worth a trip.

The below is pasted from the Prudence magazine mailout:

Vintage will always be fashionable but now it can be affordable too with Wild Child's Vintage Kilo SALE on this Sunday, February 27th. That day quality vintage threads are ON SALE AT ONLY €20 PER KILO. There will be three tonnes of good-quality, on-trend vintage clothing from the 60s through to the 80s, all separated by type in racks of dresses, jackets, etc. Your purchases will be weighed, so you can get five light cotton dresses and t-shirts for JUST €20 which works out at ONLY €4 PER ITEM! The SALE takes place at Wild Child Originals Warehouse in Harold's Cross from 12 noon to 6pm this Sunday. Phone 087-2386143 for more information.

:eek: That's deadly! So broke this week though, I don't think I can work it really :( Might tap a loan from my sis if I can though!

I don't know if Ill be able to make it as plan on being quite hungover due to bf's birthday being on this weekend.

If I thought there would be anything of the good Id drag myself up there - I really want to get some dresses to re-fashion - I've had no luck in the charity shops recently!

If I thought there would be anything of the good Id drag myself up there

Do you not think there would be? I've never heard of this crowd before, be crap to get the bus up only to find the stuff is awful!

• Advertisement

If I thought there would be anything of the good Id drag myself up there - I really want to get some dresses to re-fashion - I've had no luck in the charity shops recently!

What sort of stuff are you looking for? Any particular cuts or fabrics?

Advertisement