Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Chatwalk - Off Topic Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Sibylla

Girls the world's most expensive pair of shoes went on sale today for £140,000 pounds.:eek: The design is made from solid gold and two thousand diamonds. The designer Christopher Michael Shellis has said there has been a lot of interest. Who would pay this amount for a pair of shoes? There are gorgeous but I've seen nicer for under a thousand. Thoughts?

ojp7ic.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

Sibylla wrote: »
    Girls the world's most expensive pair of shoes went on sale today for £140,000 pounds.:eek: The design is made from solid gold and two thousand diamonds. The designer Christopher Michael Shellis has said there has been a lot of interest. Who would pay this amount for a pair of shoes? There are gorgeous but I've seen nicer for under a thousand. Thoughts?

ojp7ic.jpg

Thoughts? You'd need to be institutionalised to buy a pair of shoes for that kind of money. Seriously. €1000 is understandable. €150,000? Check yourself into the loony bin. And I'm not a girl, I hope I'm allowed reply.

qz wrote: »
    Thoughts? You'd need to be institutionalised to buy a pair of shoes for that kind of money. Seriously. €1000 is understandable. €150,000? Check yourself into the loony bin. And I'm not a girl, I hope I'm allowed reply.
    I agree, Considering the recessionary times we are in. Who would even contemplate it. I'm very surprised to hear there has been a lot of interest. Spending a 1,000 on a pair seems quite excessive unless it's a one off.

Of course you can reply, All opinions appreciated in f&a :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I think they're hideous, but then I think that all strappy sandals are hideous. I suppose if someone was to spend that sort of money on shoes they probably have an awful lot of money and wouldn't think anything of it. It's all relative.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

I don't like the design either! There are very few strappy sandals of that type that don't force your toes out in an ugly way!

Surely with the materials they are made from walking isn't going to be easy. I know they are probably a 10-step-max kinda shoe, but I'm not impressed!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

It's all relative though, some people think nothing of spending that much money, it'd be like buying shoes in Clarks to them!

I think They're really ugly too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 902 ✭✭✭lainey316

They're very dull shoes, stylewise, and tacky with all the bling.

There is plenty of people who'd have that kind of money laying around and wouldn't think twice of putting them with their €200k YSL couture dress.

It's just a media thing, rather old hat at this stage.

Guys, yay or nay on this dress:

490851_1.jpg

Could it be dressed down, worn with pumps? I don't want to look really glam or anything, just like the slouchy shape of the top. I doubt I'm as tall as the model here, so it would probably be much closer to my knees!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Anyone going to the vintage fair in DunLaoghaire this Sunday?

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

Malari wrote: »
    Guys, yay or nay on this dress:

490851_1.jpg

Could it be dressed down, worn with pumps? I don't want to look really glam or anything, just like the slouchy shape of the top. I doubt I'm as tall as the model here, so it would probably be much closer to my knees!
    I like it, but I think it could look glam for day time, it depends, it's a loose fitting or does it cling to the body?

Personally, I'd wear it with leggings.

Have you a link to the dress please?

• Advertisement

I like it, but I think it could look glam for day time, it depends, it's a loose fitting or does it cling to the body?

Personally, I'd wear it with leggings.

Have you a link to the dress please?

The top looks loose fitting, but the skirt part is tight, so not really sure. This is the link: http://www.brandalley.co.uk/FSRayon/Id-7136-Produit-64746-Rayon-490851

But it's on Brand Alley so you need to register to view anything. Couldn't find it anywhere else. It's there in red too, but that looks too...red!

Malari wrote: »
    The top looks loose fitting, but the skirt part is tight, so not really sure. This is the link: http://www.brandalley.co.uk/FSRayon/Id-7136-Produit-64746-Rayon-490851

But it's on Brand Alley so you need to register to view anything. Couldn't find it anywhere else. It's there in red too, but that looks too...red!

Thanks, it's a nice dress, but I don't know for daytime :confused:

I didn't need to register to view :)

Here are bigger pictures of the dress, in both colours, might help give a better idea of it.

490852_1.jpg

490852_2.jpg

490852_3.jpg

490851_1.jpg

490851_2.jpg

490851_3.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭líreacán

Defo wear it with leggings or something if you decide to go for it...the red one looks a bit see through at the end...you can almost see her bottom :eek::eek::eek: Presumably the black one is similar!!

líreacán wrote: »
    Defo wear it with leggings or something if you decide to go for it...the red one looks a bit see through at the end...you can almost see her bottom :eek::eek::eek: Presumably the black one is similar!!

Eek, didn't notice that! I think I've gone off it a bit. If it was cotton or jersey type material maybe, but it's viscose, and just think it would end up clinging to leggings or something.

I think they're hideous, but then I think that all strappy sandals are hideous. I suppose if someone was to spend that sort of money on shoes they probably have an awful lot of money and wouldn't think anything of it. It's all relative.
    It's amazing how something so expensive can look so cheap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,727 ✭✭✭reallyrose

I'm giving a talk at a conference on Tuesday, I was thinking of wearing this:

Too dressy?
    Not dressy enough?
    Utterly unsuitable?

QjhxPl.jpg

I will hopefully have less of a 'derpderp' expression on my face when I'm giving the talk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭boomkatalog

Very pretty, not showing cleavage or thigh so it's professional, I like it :)

And oh-so-relevant :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

I think thats nice :o

Deffo ok for talk

It's a nice length and the design is quite youthful. Good luck with your presentation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭Pandoras Twist

I got all excited when I saw dudara had posted last in the WYWT thread.

Sadface to mod note.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Rose, outfit looks good to me! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭jos28

Has anyone any experience of returning stuff to Dorothy Perkins. Bought a gorgeous dress online and it's a bit tight. Their website says you can exchange in any DP in the UK. Has anyone tried exchanging something bought online to a ROI branch.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

jos28 wrote: »
    Has anyone any experience of returning stuff to Dorothy Perkins. Bought a gorgeous dress online and it's a bit tight. Their website says you can exchange in any DP in the UK. Has anyone tried exchanging something bought online to a ROI branch.

I'd say it's the same as Topshop (I used to work there), same company. You can return something bought online as long as you have the invoice and are in date. The money goes back on the card you originally purchased on. Finally, the amount you get back is whatever £ Sterling price you paid converted into € at that day's rate. For example, the tag might have £20 and €32, but you don't get back €32 you get back the conversion of £20.

Plus I don't think that you can return to Dorothy Perkins (or any other shop) if it's a concession in a department store.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 902 ✭✭✭lainey316

Topshop say you can't return instore in RoI :mad:on the web site (hence, I do not have these shoes) but Dorothy Perkins say you can, hurrah for sense, but as Bobblehead Panda says concessions in department stores are excluded

• Advertisement

Thanks a million ladies, I just want to exchange for a different (larger:() size. I'll give it a go and see what happens. Cheers ! It was a bargain anyhow. Reduced to £25 less 25% thanks to a Boardsie who posted up a discount code.
    Link to the dress
    http://www.dorothyperkins.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?beginIndex=0&viewAllFlag=&catalogId=33053&storeId=12552&productId=2262902&langId=-1&categoryId=&searchTerm=poppy&pageSize=20

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Susie_Q

jos28 wrote: »
    Thanks a million ladies, I just want to exchange for a different (larger:() size. I'll give it a go and see what happens. Cheers ! It was a bargain anyhow. Reduced to £25 less 25% thanks to a Boardsie who posted up a discount code.
    Link to the dress
    http://www.dorothyperkins.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?beginIndex=0&viewAllFlag=&catalogId=33053&storeId=12552&productId=2262902&langId=-1&categoryId=&searchTerm=poppy&pageSize=20

I bought the same dress and it arrived today. Really like it but there's not a lot of room in it for boobs. Luckily I'm quite short so I'm going to get an inch taken off the hemline and sewn it into the side seam to give the bust a bit more space. Other than being a bit tight at the chest, the dress is gorgeous and feels lovely; I'm very pleased with it!

Thats actually a great idea Susie. I'm a shortie too and I think the bottom part might be a bit too big if I exchange it. It's just the boobs bit that is tight. Might drop it into the dressmaker tomorrow. Thanks :)

I miss off topic chats. :(
    Wasn't there mention of Beers sometime ago?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Tayla

lainey316 wrote: »
    Topshop say you can't return instore in RoI :mad:on the web site (hence, I do not have these shoes) but Dorothy Perkins say you can, hurrah for sense, but as Bobblehead Panda says concessions in department stores are excluded

Topshop do let you return the items to their stores in the republic of Ireland unless it is a concession store. You have 28 days to do so!
    http://www.topshop.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CatalogNavigationSearchResultCmd?catalogId=33057&storeId=12556&langId=-1&viewAllFlag=false&categoryId=277544&interstitial=true&TS=1302084478900&intcmpid=W_TOP_NAV_WK39_HP_UK_HELP#fragment-4

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

phasers wrote: »
    Thank you Phasers, appreciate it :)

OldGoat wrote: »
    I miss off topic chats. :(
    Wasn't there mention of Beers sometime ago?

Mmm yes! I'm gonna find out the date for the May vintage dress dance tomorrow, and I'll post details here and see if people may be interested. There's a band and all for the May one! We could get all dressied up! Maybe team up with the Burlesquers ;)

Also, you may like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Mollikins

reallyrose wrote: »
    I'm giving a talk at a conference on Tuesday, I was thinking of wearing this
    I think that looks lovely on you reallyrose.
    Best of luck with the talk later today. :)

Twee. wrote: »
    Mmm yes! I'm gonna find out the date for the May vintage dress dance tomorrow, and I'll post details here and see if people may be interested. There's a band and all for the May one! We could get all dressied up! Maybe team up with the Burlesquers ;)
    WooHoooo!
    Also, you may like this.

"Be honest in your opinion. Check.
    Be gracious in your manner. Check
    Be humble in your tone. Pfffft!
    Be thankful for what you’re given.Bwahahahahahahhaa"
    I think you are mistaking me for a gentleman. I prefer the term 'Cad'. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

Twee. wrote: »

Ooh ooh I would love to go to that! I'm going to the Galway Vintage Fair in June which will be a great reason to get all dressed up pretty, would love another one :)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

Aww... why are there ad's for Peacocks displaying all their lovely clothes when we can't get 'em delivered here? Boooo :(

Just saw this on eBay, the postage 'international signed for £19.99' :eek:

It doesn't even cost that to send a similar item from Ireland to the UK and postage is cheaper in the UK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

jenizzle wrote: »
    Aww... why are there ad's for Peacocks displaying all their lovely clothes when we can't get 'em delivered here? Boooo :(

I have a Peacocks near me..get your orders in!!

Actually, I was disappointed to try on Daisy Lowe's range of dresses in the local shop; the size 8 swamped me, and I am normally an 8-10. And when I swamped, I mean actuat tent like. I looked for a 6 :eek: but they didn't exist. Disappointing, as some of the dresses were quite nice. I also like their swimwear but AGAIN they stop at DD :(

http://www.citydeal.ie/deals/dublin?nlp=&CID=IE_CRM_215_0_0_0&utm_source=Deal_general_newsletter&utm_medium=All_Cities&utm_content=Initial_Version&utm_campaign=Varies
    Highlights
    Natural ingredients and essential oils from Lycon
    Salon uses brands such as Lom, Dermalogica and Bare Escentuals
    City centre location
    Upgrade to Hollywood wax for €10 (payable at appointment)
    Market leader in hair removal

Fine Print
    Expires 26 August 2011.
    No voucher limit per person, multiple may be purchased as gifts. Booking required. Bookings taken from 26 April 2011. 24 hour cancellation policy. Do not use a tanning bed for 24 hours prior to wax. Treatment time 20-30 minutes. Customer must have at least 1mm hair growth.
    See the rules that apply to all deals

• Advertisement

Just came across this on eBay, dying to get it. I love Khaki and it's colour that looks nice on me too. Contacted the seller asking if it's still for sale, no reply yet *fingers crossed*

Good luck Purple Bobbin :D

I"m tempted to go out tonight. Not because I want to go out, I don't really, but because I bought the cutest navy shorts in Penneys yesterday and I'm mad to wear them with my red heels :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

I really want to get a haircut. Something different. A fringe...I want a fringe! I kinda feel like I should hold it off for a while though. Last time I got my hair cut was the beginning on January...and last time I got it highlighted was the end of January. That just seems like too short a time! Meh, I'll hold it off for another month I guess.

Get the fringe!! I was going to go for a fringe on my next cut, but then I realised it wasn't going to be practical for me. I have curly hair and am off to New York for the summer, I don't think the humidity will be my friend!

Freja Beha Erichsen was my inspiration, fabulous fringe!

Freja-Beha-The-FACE4-e1285106987863.jpg

FrejaBehaErichsenForTheLastMagazine.jpg

I think a sweepy side fringe would suit anybody :)

Thinking of ordering something from asos, I know it's usually hit and miss with their stuff.
    I don'[t usually order from them, Would you girls recommend them or stay away? I know my friends have bought some of their stuff and it's mixed views.

Thinking of ordering something from asos, I know it's usually hit and miss with their stuff.
    I don'[t usually order from them, Would you girls recommend them or stay away? I know my friends have bought some of their stuff and it's mixed views.
    I'd recommend them.

I've had more hit then miss with them to be honest.

Can I ask, what is it your thinking of getting? We could give more helpful replies if we knew what the item is.

I was just having a look there and will probably get something from a different label off their site, The Asos dresses are quite nice but unsure about their own brand. I was thinking of one of these

http://www.asos.com/Asos/Asos-Dress-2-In-1-Dress-With-Cherry-Print/Prod/pgeproduct.aspx?iid=1606970&cid=2623&sh=0&pge=0&pgesize=20&sort=-1&clr=Print

http://www.asos.com/Asos/Asos-Pretty-Tea-Dress/Prod/pgeproduct.aspx?iid=1356427&cid=2623&sh=0&pge=0&pgesize=20&sort=-1&clr=Purple

Their own brand stuff isn't always great tbh. I've bought some lovely things but some of it has been awful. Looking at those dresses the material looks kind of cheap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭Pandoras Twist

They're great once you don't buy the ASOS own brand stuff, ive ordered loads over the years and only ever kept a cardigan and a tank top.

Advertisement