Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Chatwalk - Off Topic Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

I'm not sure if this is the right place to put this, but I was wondering if anyone here knew the first thing about getting into fashion journalism? It's something I'd like to look into but I've no idea where to start!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I badly need some new jeans, and since Gap discontinued the Long and Lean ones last year (I had 4 pairs at one stage, but 2 of them are trashed and a third one has a broken zip) I have no idea what would suit... any suggestions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

I badly need some new jeans, and since Gap discontinued the Long and Lean ones last year (I had 4 pairs at one stage, but 2 of them are trashed and a third one has a broken zip) I have no idea what would suit... any suggestions?
    I'd bring that pair into somewhere that does repairs and get the zip replaced. I had a favourite pair of combats I took in to get repaired before, didn't cost much and they're still going. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Smartly Dressed

Anyone know where I could get a trench coat similar to this one?

http://portfoliopad.com/images/1085/417613/xlarge/206.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

From the charter:
    If you engage in any of the following you will be infracted/banned:

> encouraging the purchase of fake goods in any way, it is illegal

Just a reminder before people start posting about buying knock-offs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭Vinta81

Just want to say thanks to Ilyana 2.0 I purchased the River Island she posted last week and I've had so many compliments on it over the weekend :D

Vinta81 wrote: »
    Just want to say thanks to Ilyana 2.0 I purchased the River Island she posted last week and I've had so many compliments on it over the weekend :D

Aw that's great, it is a lovely dress! I haven't gotten to wear mine yet so that's a good sign :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,164 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Dunno if I should be talking about this here, I won't link to be in the safe side, but I seen a Chloe bag for 50 quid on Donedeal, to good to be true surely?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

For the price I'd say fake, unless it's a verrry old, second hand bag.

Do you have the name of the bag style? According to The Purse Forum, you need to look for:
    1. Photo of the entire bag.

2. Pic of the entire base of the bag.

3. Close-up of the 'Chloe' heat stamp on the small front flap of the bag.

4. Close-up of the 'Chloe MADE IN ITALY' heat stamp inside the bag.

5. Close-up of the serial/date code tab from inside the bag.

6. Close-up of the leather grain.

7. Close-up of the outside zipper pull tab.

8. Close up of the inside zipper pull.

9. Close-up of any logo on the underside of the zipper.

10. Pic of the dustbag/cover (if applicable), with the Chloe logo straight-on and in full view.

11. Pics of the hangtag (if applicable); including a pic of the front of the hangtag showing the Chloe logo and pics of the inside and outside of the hangtag showing all information.

12. Pics of the care card envelope and card (if applicable); showing the Chloe logos on both and all text inside the card.

And of course ask if you can see a receipt. If the seller doesn't/won't give you the info then I wouldn't bother.

EDIT: More here if it's a Paddington bag http://reviews.ebay.co.uk/How-to-Spot-a-FAKE-CHLOE-Paddington-Bag?ugid=10000000004414775

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

This has probably been asked before..but what's the Boohoo.com sizing like? I'm generally a size 8 but this is a skin-tight bodycon maxi-dress type thing. I have a few from Topshop already and they are all a 6. Don't want it to be too tight though :/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭boomkatalog

I've only ever ordered stretchy leggings and crop tops from Boohoo but both fit perfectly in my usual size.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Pilotdude5

I have 3 bodycon dresses from them, two size 8's and a size 10. The 10 feels the smallest!

Read the reviews, they're usually accurate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

Argh - my daddy says that skinnies make me look huge and that no way was I a size 8 on the hips...he has me paranoid about wearing my numerous skinnies. I am a size 6 on the waist but 8 on the hips and 10 to 12 on top but he says that I am fat :(

He was a fashion designer but even my late mother use to lie to him about her size - I am nor but he still went out of his way to say that I am fat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭Toast4532

CathyMoran wrote: »
    Argh - my daddy says that skinnies make me look huge and that no way was I a size 8 on the hips...he has me paranoid about wearing my numerous skinnies. I am a size 6 on the waist but 8 on the hips and 10 to 12 on top but he says that I am fat :(

He was a fashion designer but even my late mother use to lie to him about her size - I am nor but he still went out of his way to say that I am fat.
    Ignore his nasty comments.

One time I was in a pub and this guy said to me that I'm about a size six cos I am tiny, he then went on to tell me about this woman he'd seen in Dunnes Stores who was a size 10 and she was huge, the thing he didn't know was, I was (and still am) a size 12, so for me personally, when someone; male or female makes a comment to me about my weight/size, I just ignore them (for the most part anyway).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,565 ✭✭✭Cerulean Chicken

How old are you? As you refer to him as daddy and are listening to what he says you should/shouldn't wear I assume you're a teenager? If the jeans fit you then they fit you, whether you get into them or not will dictate what size you are, not what he says. And if you are in a 6-8 that is the lower end of average, surely anyone can see that someone of that size can't be fat? Ignore him. What kind of parent would tell their child they are fat when they are in those sizes, unless you're about 3ft tall.

Daddy is used a lot in the country, my mother is 51 and still refers to her deceased father as daddy. Wouldn't assume someone's age based on that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

Size is just a number. If your clothes fit you properly, the numbers on the tag shouldn't matter. I fit into everything from a size 12 to a size 18, that'll tell you how accurate sizing in most shops is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,565 ✭✭✭Cerulean Chicken

Daddy is used a lot in the country, my mother is 51 and still refers to her deceased father as daddy. Wouldn't assume someone's age based on that.

I said it was based on that and the general language of it, her dad telling her what she should and shouldn't wear, and actually paying attention to what a Dad says about it! Unless my parents voiced legitimate "that doesn't really suit you" worries I would wear something once I knew it fit me, and at 6-8 on bottom and 10-12 on top I wouldn't think she is too fat to wear skinny jeans.

I said it was based on that and the general language of it, her dad telling her what she should and shouldn't wear, and actually paying attention to what a Dad says about it! Unless my parents voiced legitimate "that doesn't really suit you" worries I would wear something once I knew it fit me, and at 6-8 on bottom and 10-12 on top I wouldn't think she is too fat to wear skinny jeans.
    Am 38 and a mother of two very young children - have allways called my father daddy though my children call their daddy the same name so it can get confusing at times. He does genuinely think that he means well but he does not understand that women have curvies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

I'd personally get the pink one, they're so cool :cool:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

I was leaning towards the pink myself! Seems to be sold out though, damn! I'll sign up for the back in stock email and keep an eye instore.

Anyone know where I might get a teal skater dress in a chiffon or cotton type material? Looking everywhere and can't find anything, saw a few on eBay but unsure about the quality and sizing!

Awear - at least you could try it on first?

http://www.awear.com/closet/closet-teal-flared-polka-dot-dress/invt/00001189teal/

Being lazy here as not all in the link are skater...

Awear - at least you could try it on first?

http://www.awear.com/closet/closet-teal-flared-polka-dot-dress/invt/00001189teal/

Being lazy here as not all in the link are skater...
    Thanks, €68 is way too expensive though, I suppose €20 would be my budget.

I find A|wear very expensive, and the quality of their products is not worth the prices they charge.

• Advertisement

Toast4532 wrote: »
    Thanks, €68 is way too expensive though, I suppose €20 would be my budget.

I find A|wear very expensive, and the quality of their products is not worth the prices they charge.
    Will keep a look out for you - I am looking for a dress at the moment (or rather I have birthday money from last week) - spotted this for me but would have to add money to it and it seems incredibly expensive. I have lots of winter stuff but am still hoping that we get a summer...

Will keep a look out for you - I am looking for a dress at the moment (or rather I have birthday money from last week) - spotted this for me but would have to add money to it and it seems incredibly expensive. I have lots of winter stuff but am still hoping that we get a summer...
    Have tried to see if I can try this on in store - it is very dear for me and I would not be totally sure of the topshop sizes. I normally wear children's clothes as I can get away with it and they are cheaper and nicer...hmm, should I go for this single piece?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Moody_mona

Toast4532 wrote: »
    Anyone know where I might get a teal skater dress in a chiffon or cotton type material? Looking everywhere and can't find anything, saw a few on eBay but unsure about the quality and sizing!

Boohoo.com would be a good bet.

Moody_mona wrote: »
    Boohoo.com would be a good bet.

Thanks so much, what is the quality of their clothes like? I ordered once before and had to send the item back as it was awful quality, that was few years ago, wonder have they improved since though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Moody_mona

I have some good bits, including a great pair of boots. I have three dresses and I've ordered another maxi, I've had no trouble with quality, but it's inexpensive so don't be expecting hand crafted silk or anything! For plain staples I think it's great :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

This is the second time in two weeks that Asos have sent me the wrong item. Completely put me off shopping with them tbh, now I have to go shopping on time and money that I don't have (because I spent it on Asos and need to wait for the refund) :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 389 ✭✭unknowngirl!!

Dolbert wrote: »
    This is the second time in two weeks that Asos have sent me the wrong item. Completely put me off shopping with them tbh, now I have to go shopping on time and money that I don't have (because I spent it on Asos and need to wait for the refund) :mad:

Oh no, that's a disaster :( I sent back a bag and still waiting on the refund, it's taking ages! I'm not going to order with them until I get refunded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44 j.l

Has anyone ever bought clothes from China on eBay?

I've been browsing Buy It Now (with free shipping) items and there are dresses advertised for as little as $1 including shipping. The same seller often has the same dress at an inflated price in their listings.

"Caveat emptor" is what I'm thinking, but wanted to get first-hand experiences rather than go by eBay reviews which can be misleading!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭lindtee

^^^ If you read the small print there is probably some insurance or something that will be added to the invoice when you go to the checkout.

Hi, basically I'm going to Spain for a week in July and I have literally no summer clothes! Would any of ye recommend the likes of Boohoo and Asos for some cheap little sundresses, vests, shorts etc.? I can only afford to pick up a few bits every week and I'm not in town much so it'd be handy to get a few things online.

Also, I'm a size 12 but I've wide hips and a biggish bust; would the above websites be fairly true to size or would I need to be buying 14s?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Pilotdude5

Hi, size wise Asos has always been spot on for me with their own-brand clothes. Boohoo has been hit and miss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Just to let ye know, Zatchels have a 50% sale on until 5pm today. Which means great prices! www.zatchels.com

Does anyone know if Arnotts still sell Mango clothes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Taelated

yup they still do Mango clothes at the back on lower ground floor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

I bought this skirt yesterday. I have no idea what to wear with it. The only thing i can think of is a black tanktop and a black cardigan but im trying to push away from wearing black at the moment.

Any suggestions? :)

5053516205846?hei=382&wid=305&resmode=sharp&op_usm=1.1,0.5,0,0&defaultimage=default_details_George_rd

• Advertisement

I bought this skirt yesterday. I have no idea what to wear with it. The only thing i can think of is a black tanktop and a black cardigan but im trying to push away from wearing black at the moment.

Any suggestions? :)

<pic>

A nice deep turquoise or teal top could go nicely with it. Purple might be nice too :)

I'd have said wear it with pink

Ilyana 2.0 wrote: »
    A nice deep turquoise or teal top could go nicely with it. Purple might be nice too :)

Oohh ill have a look and ill see what I have thanks :)

I'd have said wear it with pink

More of a dusty pink yeah? :)

More of a dusty pink yeah? :)

Yeah. Maybe a blouse or button down cardigan with 3/4 length sleeves.

Yeah. Maybe a blouse or button down cardigan with 3/4 length sleeves.

Sounds good! Thanks boom!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Siuin

Just found a blog which, without a doubt, is the best I've seen yet.
    Then again, she's my ideal blogger- redhead, loves dresses and the cutest dog known to man Some really excellent makeup tips for pale skinned ladies and also great for those who like vintage clothing.

http://www.foreveramber.co.uk/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

Where can I find knee to ankle length skirts that are decent? By decent I mean heavy wearing and wardrobe basics style not something that's been designed based on a season's trend. I just want some things based on denim, cords, quality material and not flappy or floaty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭ams

I've seen skirts like that in Marks and Spencers - they'd be mammyish though and not exactly stylish. Not sure where you'd get a nice one tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Siuin

As someone who buys skirts of this length (below the knee to ankle) on a regular basis for religious reasons, I'd recommend going to Monsoon (great for calf length cord/denim skirts) or if you're looking for something more stylish and figure hugging I was looking in Topshop today and they have loads of skirts in this length.
    I tried on this one: http://www.topshop.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?beginIndex=1&viewAllFlag=&catalogId=33057&storeId=12556&productId=9904013&langId=-1&sort_field=Relevance&categoryId=208530&parent_categoryId=203984&pageSize=2000
    and while it's very summery and could be cool with a vibrant coloured top, it was quite see-through.
    I also tried on this one:
    http://www.topshop.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?beginIndex=1&viewAllFlag=&catalogId=33057&storeId=12556&productId=9391489&langId=-1&sort_field=Relevance&categoryId=208530&parent_categoryId=203984&pageSize=200&refinements=category~[209775|208530]&noOfRefinements=1
    it's made from a faux-denim material and hit me about 2 inches below the knee (I'm 5'5'') and it was quite nice but a little too figure hugging for my liking. Ebay are always great for longer skirts.

Advertisement