Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Chatwalk - Off Topic Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Did you just poke my ball?!?
    :D

OK, in the interest of kicking stuff off there is a vintage fashion show and afternoon tea early in November if anyone is interested in getting out to see some stuff and stuff yerselves with cream cakes.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

OldGoat wrote: »
    Did you just poke my ball?!?
    :D

Yes. Yes I did :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭Toast4532

Is anyone else having trouble with the Dorothy Perkins websites? I am trying to order 3 items and the total is €30 exactly and while its giving me 25% off its not giving the free delivery, is there another code I need for that too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,013 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Hmnn it looks like I'm on course to receive a €150 voucher in work for anywhere of my choice. It'd be dangerous in my hands as I was thinking about getting something for the missus from the below (in their Dublin branch):

http://buffalo-shop.de/Stiefel/11100,de_DE,sc.html

Does anyone have any recommendations as to where I should get a voucher for? Where would you like to be given a voucher to?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

Does she wear expensive make up? A BT's voucher or something might be nice! Or perhaps an all for one voucher or an amazon gift card to give her choice??

SarahBeep! wrote: »
    Does she wear expensive make up? A BT's voucher or something might be nice! Or perhaps an all for one voucher or an amazon gift card to give her choice??

She doesn't wear any make-up nor does she shop online at all so the One4All voucher sounds like a great idea.

Many thanks!
    I love Dundrum vouchers but its pretty useless to you if you don't live in South Dublin!

I'm afraid not- we're in the furthest reaches of North County Dublin. I think the last time I was in Dundrum was Christmas time last year and it's been even longer for her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭boomkatalog

I love Dundrum vouchers but its pretty useless to you if you don't live in South Dublin!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Luno

Anyone else feel as if Dorothy Perkins may become the next A-Wear? I really liked some of their stuff but now despite getting emails with 25% off codes I still find myself not bothering.

Luno wrote: »
    Anyone else feel as if Dorothy Perkins may become the next A-Wear? I really liked some of their stuff but now despite getting emails with 25% off codes I still find myself not bothering.
    I'm the same. Their stuff has become so expensive and with the delivery etc on top its often not worth it even with discount codes etc.

I placed an order with them in mid-October, all my items were sale items and they had free delivery, total was €34. My order never arrived and they said they'd refund me, two weeks later no refund on the card used for payment, so I contacted them and was told that no refund was issued due to a technical error, and they'd send a cheque (card was expiring) as the refund wouldn't go through before the card expired, took 2.5 weeks for the cheque to arrive in the post. All in all, it was about 7-8 weeks before I got the refund.

Earlier this year I ordered a dress, again a sale item and free delivery, and the dress never arrived, so it took about three weeks before they issued a refund and then another two weeks for the refund to come through on my card.

Very wary of ordering from them again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

The fact that they have a separate European site really puts me off ordering from them, I feel like we're getting ripped off big time. The UK site even gets better discount codes most of the time!

Very annoyed with ASOS lately.

The past few times I have ordered from them they have either sent the wrong item, or a damaged item.

Received a bag from them today and the detail on the outside it damaged.

Last time I ordered a blazer and ordered cream, they sent me it in a lemon colour.

Time before that I ordered a necklace, took it out of the plastic bag and it was in bits, literally.

Getting very fed up of constantly having to email them and then post things back and then wait for them to refund me the postage costs due to them sending wrong or damaged items.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

HN++DSC+9365a.jpg

Anyone know where this dress is from? Or where I'd get something similar?

http://cdn3.independent.ie/incoming/article29864218.ece/ALTERNATES/h342/HN++DSC+9365a.jpg

I have seen dresses very similar to that on ASOS. I can't recall if they are exactly the same though, but maybe worth a look? They came in different colours too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Thanks Toast. I thought i might get something on ASOS but didn't see anything.

Edit: Found this but way out of my price range http://www.asos.com/Tempest/Tempest-Dolly-Pencil-Dress-With-Lace-Sleeve-And-Beaded-Collar/Prod/pgeproduct.aspx?iid=3313961&cid=13720&sh=0&pge=1&pgesize=204&sort=-1&clr=Navy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

Surprised to see Beaut.ie go, I thought it had plenty of life in it yet! Though I admit I've been reading it less than I used to...

Goodbye from Beaut.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭SmallTeapot

Dolbert wrote: »
    Surprised to see Beaut.ie go, I thought it had plenty of life in it yet! Though I admit I've been reading it less than I used to...

Goodbye from Beaut.ie

Woah, that's mad. Was it just announced out of the blue or had it been on the horizon for a while? I used to love it when Kirstie was a writer on it - loved her humour! I actually tune in regularly to her new site frillseeker.ie.

Tbh, I had seen this coming for beaut.ie for several reasons
    1) It was a great site back in Irelands' hey-day when they did reviews on high end lines such as Tom Ford, Shu Uemura, Creme de la mer ad the like. Don't think many would be going out of their way to purchase such products now let alone read about them (this might be a generalization on my part though, so I stand corrected).

2) The quality of their writing wasn't the best of late (sorry to be blunt :o)

3) I actually think they ran out of things to talk about. Thy tried extending beyond beauty reviews, which was good...... but I suppose there were so many 'topical' subjects that fitted their remit.

Hopefully the likes of her.ie won't be the new forerunner - not massive fan of that site.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 996 ✭✭✭bnagrrl

Dolbert wrote: »

Goodbye from Beaut.ie

I'm not surprised to see it go tbh. I stopped regularly reading it 2/3 years ago. Got fed up of the hokey Oirish style of writing and while I liked the high end product reviews it would have been nice if they had more affordable products more often.

The comments section was like a clique and remember reading some under a new make up post, some posters disagreed with Kirstie and she gave out to them! :rolleyes:

I admit I did look at it a few months ago and thought the non beauty posts were a bit meh and didn't sit well with the general vibe of the site. I do miss Lynda Moorhead though, her nail posts were fab and unfortunately she doesn't update her own blog that often.

Anyway it definitely wasn't a site for me.

bnagrrl wrote: »
    The comments section was like a clique and remember reading some under a new make up post, some posters disagreed with Kirstie and she gave out to them! :rolleyes:

+1 on this point bnagrrl. It was indeed awfully cliquey at times, esp the blather section. The site did have a fair bit of controversy in the past (one spat developed over a competition if I recall). I also witnessed incidences where regular posters 'ganged up' on other posters when their opinion didn't fit with the majority. That side of things used to make me feel uneasy - another reason that I gave up on the site sooner rather than later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Pang

There were too many articles on faux feminism and celebrities and crap basically. When I go on a beauty blog, that's what I want to read about, beauty. They were writing less and less on beauty products and I didn't like the style of writing either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 900 ✭✭✭jadie

I think they had their day. The actual beauty articles on a weekly basis were very low. The skincare articles by one writer -and all her advice was directly copied from Caroline Hiron's blog I thought. The blather was so cliquey and people seem to give out a lot of personal information on it-I see now they have carried it over to some other individuals blog.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

So beaut.ie is back.

How odd. Gone forever and 4 days later it's back.

Never been the same since Kirstie left I felt.

They must've had a whopper of a fall out.

So beaut.ie is back.

How odd. Gone forever and 4 days later it's back.

Never been the same since Kirstie left I felt.

They must've had a whopper of a fall out.

Do you reckon they fell out? It does seem that they're in compettion now alright..... Also, wtf, they're back now :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

Do you reckon they fell out? It does seem that they're in compettion now alright..... Also, wtf, they're back now :rolleyes:

The reason I think they may have had a fall out is Kirstie leaving and setting up her own beauty blog in direction competition.

Also there is never any cross promotion from them on twitter or fb.

I could be totally wrong though.

And yeah, it's back, blather and all.

The reason I think they may have had a fall out is Kirstie leaving and setting up her own beauty blog in direction competition.

Also there is never any cross promotion from them on twitter or fb.

I could be totally wrong though.

And yeah, it's back, blather and all.

They also don't follow each other on twitter. Dun Dun Dunnnnnn.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭ams

HN++DSC+9365a.jpg

Juniper Boutique (based in Clare) are selling this exact dress via Facebook for 100e I think at the moment in sz 8 or 10. Don't know the brand or anything.

Did I see a certain Boardsies blog being featured on image.ie ? :-)

http://image.ie/People/Fave-Blogs/The-Last-Vagabond/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

One for the vintage fashionistas, a lovely film running through the major fashions of the last 100 years in 100 seconds.
    Quite amused by the first few decades only having one fashion represented but by the time we get to the sixties we see two, three or more styles per decade. Our fashion attention span is growing shorter and shorter. :)

http://www.wimp.com/yearsstyle/

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭honerbright

I found a photo from 4 years ago where I had a fringe and it looked so good. I have to keep reminding myself that I can't maintain a fringe and it looks terrible when it starts to grow but I want it back so bad :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭boomkatalog

Same as that, I love a long fringe but its only a week before it's in my eyes. Growing mine out again.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

You know student codes for Asos, can they be used on beauty or sale items or is it just full priced clothes?

• Advertisement

deise_girl wrote: »
    You know student codes for Asos, can they be used on beauty or sale items or is it just full priced clothes?
    As far as I am aware they can be used on all items, beauty, sale and full priced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

Never had a problem with full priced, whether clothing or make up but 99% sure it doesn't come off sale items. Unless they've changed bathe policy in the last few weeks. Been a month or so since I've ordered.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

Ahh ok thanks! Just wanted to make sure what the actual price id be paying would be before I got my hopes up! :)

Being a past student of DCU I was able to sign up for Unidays by imputting my old DCU email address - 20% off Asos at the mo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Anyone seen in Penny's they've got kinda fake leather jeans, almost thinking of getting them, they don't look half bad at all ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Femme_Fatale

I'm not hugely bothered usually about what fellas wear, but by god the shtyle on the lads in the new Guinness ad - it's brilliant!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

^^
    I think they look fantastically dapper. Love the ad too :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I really love that ad. Makes me smile every time it see it.

carvela-kurt-geiger-white-sabrina-product-2-5838381-791512108_large_flex.jpeg

http://www.shoeaholics.com/sabrina-white-leather-35-carvela-kurt-geiger-ladies-shoe.html

Kurt Geiger Carvela Sabrina. There is much want in these- I must try and track them down. It's a brand I continually forget to pay attention too and which I must look at more often- they do some seriously sexy boots.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭The Cool

Definitely! Very nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

Hello 1st time in here and just looking does anybody know if demonia or pleaser stockists are in galway or limerick. looking for something along the lines of this.....
    charade-32-bpu.jpg

one more thing does anyone know of these websites and are they ok to buy from.
    http://www.alternative-footwear.co.uk/
    http://www.xtremefootwear.co.uk/index.php

One has only 60/70 twitter followers and the other has no update on its public facebook page in a while (I dont have facebook so im not 100% sure on this) so Im thinking they could be dodgy

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

Toast4532 wrote: »

The white is quite minimal so I think it's suitable. Some colourful accessories could be lovely with it :)

kupus wrote: »
    Hello 1st time in here and just looking does anybody know if demonia or pleaser stockists are in galway or limerick. looking for something along the lines of this.....
    charade-32-bpu.jpg

one more thing does anyone know of these websites and are they ok to buy from.
    http://www.alternative-footwear.co.uk/
    http://www.xtremefootwear.co.uk/index.php

One has only 60/70 twitter followers and the other has no update on its public facebook page in a while (I dont have facebook so im not 100% sure on this) so Im thinking they could be dodgy

Thanks

Certainly the first link seems to be a legitimate site. They appear to update Facebook fairly often but most importantly they accept Paypal which would put my mind at ease. I haven't checked the latter as there is a little more involved in getting to the final stage of the checkout and at this early stage in the morning I just didn't bother.

I wouldn't judge a site on the number of Twitter followers it would have- far more people of all ages use Facebook. I used to work for a well known retailer which had a Facebook page but didn't have a Twitter account so it's not something to judge them on.

I'd have no hesitation in buying from the first link you provided.

Thanks KH, i found ASOS site as well and they seem to be very popular. I would prefer a bricks and morter store as I can see and hold in my hand.
    She is a size 36 so options are pretty limited when it comes to shoes.

• Advertisement

kupus wrote: »
    Thanks KH, i found ASOS site as well and they seem to be very popular. I would prefer a bricks and morter store as I can see and hold in my hand.
    She is a size 36 so options are pretty limited when it comes to shoes.

I'm not sure about the first brand you mentioned but certainly Pleaser are very much so an erotic footwear manufacturer and you'd be hard pressed to find their products in stock in an Irish bricks and mortar store. If you're in Dublin your best bet would be to pop into one of the better sex shops such as Miss Fantasia but the downside there is that you'd likely pay through the nose for the pleasure.

as far as i know demonia own pleaser and other brands, or vice versa. but she loves demonia as they rarely cause problems she has wedges,boots and heels for the past 4/5 years and wears them full time forwork and going out and still as good as the day she bought them.
    unlike other more expensive brands that fell apart after a few weeks

just looking at missguided. they have free delivery. any recommendations about this company?
    http://www.missguided.eu/sahia-suede-contrast-platform-wedges
    http://www.missguided.eu/coleena-snake-print-cut-out-wedges

Aavoid Miss Guided.

When something goes wrong it takes them ages to sort it out.

I had issues with items I bought in August and it was in November before I had a refund. I also had a credit note to use from them and it was invalid and took them two months to reissue it.

Awful, awful company, to be avoided completely.

Just thought I'd share this

Granted it's from Jack Wills but I think it's really sweet how it shows the manufacture of a blazer from start to finish.

Enjoy!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Lovely video! My friend picked up a blazer from the JW outlet in Kildare Village and it is just beautiful.

• Advertisement
Advertisement