Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Friend in USA - credit disappearing?

• 11-12-2009 12:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have a friend in the US who has emailed me asking to see what is going on with their account. They topped up 30.00. They have not made any voice calls, just texts at ,29c.

They said their online call history has logged 10 calls like this, costing 99c a go. - anyone know what they are, its the number that was called, 17266, that makes no sense too.

Category Date- Time Number Duration/Volume Cost

Roaming call - Non-EU 11/12/09 09:09 17266 00:00:46 €0.99

They have mailed O2 but have not had an answer. Can anyone help, or advise on whats eating up the credit, cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

do they have voicemail turned on?
    its possible that un-answered calls are being diverted to VM - which can count as international roaming in this case

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Kersh

Just texted them to make sure they do that. Any other things that could cause it?

Thanks, :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

99 cent a go? I would strongly suspect data, not calls.

The max duration of any of them is 46 seconds, each batch at .99c. How could it be data? They are only sending texts to Ireland?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

I'd agree with tom, sounds like a data connection is getting some action..

• Advertisement

How can i get them to check for data, and how is it happening. Its a Motorola L7 I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭Rujib1

Wife had that problem on 2 seperate occasions, also on O2 account.
    Turned out on one occasion she had entered a cometition via text to one of those five digit numbers. That was a scam. Kept texting he back from another number and in someway I do not understand, every time she received such a text she had credit withdrawn from her account :eek:
    She called O2 and they sorted it and gave her €20 credit free of chaarge.

On the second occasion she had also entered some competition or other on a well known national radio station. I won't name it here. They apparently were sharing the details of people who entered the competition with a third party.

As a result pretty much the same thing happened as in above.
    Wife promptly changed her number, learned her lesson and will never again enter a text competition.

Kersh wrote: »
    The max duration of any of them is 46 seconds, each batch at .99c. How could it be data? They are only sending texts to Ireland?

Don't mind me, data is actually 4.98 Euro a MB.

(though making a call to make a data transfer is technically possible. Google HSCSD)

Is it at regular intervals? Are the calls of the same duration all the time?

Here is a few in a row -

Roaming call - Non-EU 11/12/09 09:05 17266 00:00:45 €0.99
    Roaming call - Non-EU 11/12/09 09:06 17266 00:00:45 €0.99
    Roaming call - Non-EU 11/12/09 09:07 17266 00:00:45 €0.99
    Roaming call - Non-EU 11/12/09 09:07 17266 00:00:45 €0.99

They bought a quad band phone over there, and put the sim in, could this be linked?

Another batch of them - - - one is only 5 seconds long,

Roaming call - Non-EU 11/12/09 06:50 17266 00:00:46 €0.99
    Roaming call - Non-EU 11/12/09 06:51 17266 00:00:45 €0.99
    Roaming call - Non-EU 11/12/09 06:53 17266 00:00:45 €0.99
    Roaming call - Non-EU 11/12/09 06:54 17266 00:00:05 €0.99

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,128 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Could the phone be checking for emails, or maybe gps through the network?

Dont know. How can they turn off their voicemail from over there? Can they dial the 1909 number/ and follow instructions?

Cheers for all the replies.

Should be an option in the handet. If you turn off the voicemail though, and people are trying to call (which I don't think is the likely cause here) then your buddy is going to start getting some calls they may not want.

I think it's an application on their phone which is connecting to the net. Email and gps would be the most likely, though any app can be set to phone home to check for updates.

How can I get them to check the phone for that? Cheers,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

Kersh wrote: »
    They bought a quad band phone over there, and put the sim in, could this be linked?
    which phone were they using at the time the new or the old one

New, its defo a motorola L7.

The old one was only dual band. So never worked over there.

Could it be GPRS? I thought that had to be specifically set up.

What data could it be sending? Would it do it automatically?

I was on about GPS, like in a sat nav. They can go online to search, estimate position from mobile phone masts etc.

I think until you find out what that number is, you are never going to know what the story is.

I don't think it is a premium number related to competitions, they always start with a '5' (see www.regtel.ie for details).

Can't find anything on O2's website about that number. I think your best bet is to ring O2, not e-mail them.

Advertisement