Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will this Float Me?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭glide

nope and they are pure ****e!! i have 2 takeoffs only 2 weeks old in for repair at the moment.
    made in china
    go thicker with float throughout!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 donga_perkins

I reckon glides talking out of his hat. Are you seriously saying that board won't float him?

Of course it'll float him, it's nearly 3 inches thick for gods sake, and you want to go thicker! So how thick? 3.5 - 4 inches? I'd like to see the rails on that thing!

It will float you, definitely. Whether or not it's a good board (it's probably not) or whether or not it'll last very long (it probably won't) is a different question.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Donal94 wrote: »
    I'm thinking of buying a new board, I've been surfing my bic 8 4 for a while now and I fancy something a bit smaller. I'm thinking of a retro egg, big boy or superfish xl type board. Wondering if this board will float me? I'm 105kgs and 6'3'. Any advice appreciated.

http://www.littlepinkshop.com/shop/takeoff-retro-custom-epoxy-surfboard-package-p-1366.html

At 105kg you aren't built for shorboards - go long and have some fun or go to a shaper you'll find a list on the ISA web site and get a board made for you

Since when was 7'2 a shortboard? My first mini-mal was 7'2 and I'm 100KG.
    He said he wanted a shorter board too, and that board is plenty big as a step-down board.

OP it depends on how fit you are, how often you get out and what level you're at. Also how much are you willing/able to put into it. If you're surfing regularly on decent waves and really want to go shorter then I'd say that the board above is too big for you and would be a waste of money. If you can put in the hours then get a big boy shortboard around 6'8-6'10, around 20 inches wide and a little over 2 1/2 thick. A good shaper will be able to beef up the volume on any shape to suit you.

If you're not getting out that often then a hybrid type shape similar to the board you posted would be fine. 7'0-7'2 would be plenty to get you going.

Either way going shorter will be harder work, the hybrid shape will make things a bit easier for you. Find a local shaper who knows what they're talking about and tell him as much about your surfing and where you want to go with it.

Of course, if you're not too bothered and just want to get something cheap and cheerful then get the board you picked out. It just won't be as good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 TakeMyNameDown

Find a local shaper who knows what they're talking about and tell him as much about your surfing and where you want to go with it.

Exactly, never mind that Glide lad, he's talking through his hoop.

Oh... wait http://allthingsglide.blogspot.com/ :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Donal94

Thanks for the replies. Anyone have any suggestions of off the self fish/egg/hybrid type board that will float me? I'd like to spend less than €500 if possible, this is the amount that shapers have been quoting but moneys a bit tight!

Exactly, never mind that Glide lad, he's talking through his hoop.

Oh... wait http://allthingsglide.blogspot.com/ :eek:

Sorry to bring this so off topic but I feel I have to reply.

For someone who's supposed to know what they're on about to suggest that a 7'2 x 22 x 2 15/16 won't float someone who's 105KG is embarrassing to be honest. It's either ignorance or a flat out lie.
    And it's an epoxy at that which has approx 25-30% more float than a polyester board!
    So yes, he IS talking ****e here.

OP, see if you can try out a few shapes before you buy, maybe you can pick something up second hand for a while to try out. Second hand boards hold their value much more than new boards. I'd still say it's best to talk to a shaper but you never know, you might love a soulless chinese pop-out. I know guys that rip, who swear by them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Thanks for the replies. Anyone have any suggestions of off the self fish/egg/hybrid type board that will float me? I'd like to spend less than €500 if possible, this is the amount that shapers have been quoting but moneys a bit tight!

Go into a surf shop and see what they have and think might suit you - you have the bic so your're in no rush. One brand that might be affordabel and float you well yet still progressive is Chapter / 7 Surfboard from kerry http://www.seven-surfboards.com/seven-surfboards.html they are pop-outs and not as pritty as takeoffs but there's noting wrong with their performance espically if you replace the stock plastic fin for a better one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

westbay apparently make a decent hybrid...

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Low Pockets

Go into a surf shop and see what they have and think might suit you - you have the bic so your're in no rush. One brand that might be affordabel and float you well yet still progressive is Chapter / 7 Surfboard from kerry http://www.seven-surfboards.com/seven-surfboards.html they are pop-outs and not as pritty as takeoffs but there's noting wrong with their performance espically if you replace the stock plastic fin for a better one.

And the lad who makes them is a true true gent, and when you progress, he is working with one of the longest serving shapers in ireland and making some lovely toys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭OldGuysRule

donga,
    As none of us know the original poster's level, it is difficult to really make a recommendation. However, the board proposed is not the dimensions you posted up, it is narrower and thinner (not by much, but still), look at the pictures.

On the basis of the first post, I would not recommend the board. The poster is 20 kg more than myself and I am a big lad. I would have to defend Glide here as he does know what he is talking about on this.

Donal, I have just picked up an 8' flo egg and it flies. I surf all range of boards from 6'8" thruster to 9'6" noserider and can say that the shape of the board is more important than the length.
    Get out and try out a few boards. In your first post, you note that you want something smaller, the question I would ask is what do you want out of the board. You do not have to have a skinny toothpick of a board to get good turns or speed.

Good luck with the search and I would recommend talking to some other surfers that you see with different types of boards tget a handle on what different shapes can bring to your surfing

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭glide

Sorry to bring this so off topic but I feel I have to reply.

For someone who's supposed to know what they're on about to suggest that a 7'2 x 22 x 2 15/16 won't float someone who's 105KG is embarrassing to be honest. It's either ignorance or a flat out lie.
    And it's an epoxy at that which has approx 25-30% more float than a polyester board!
    So yes, he IS talking ****e here.

OP, see if you can try out a few shapes before you buy, maybe you can pick something up second hand for a while to try out. Second hand boards hold their value much more than new boards. I'd still say it's best to talk to a shaper but you never know, you might love a soulless chinese pop-out. I know guys that rip, who swear by them.

im saying it from someone who has spoken to a few people now who have had takeoffs.
    they arent that floaty as they are made out of very inferior eps foam
    i make a few boards for 17st guys who have ridden minimals and they want more float, 1/8th of thickness through a board is roughly equal to an extra stone in floatation
    and for these guys im not rolling the deck as much as a smaller guy so it leaves a bit more float in the deck
    i recomend to every big guy who comes to me for a board to go long it is the best choice!
    some want shorter boards thats fine, and i dont get any complaints down the line after talking them into going a bit thicker to aid in floatation
    and they dont fall apart after 2 weeks!

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Cprh

I'm thinking of buying a new board, I've been surfing my bic 8 4 for a while now and I fancy something a bit smaller. I'm thinking of a retro egg, big boy or superfish xl type board. Wondering if this board will float me? I'm 105kgs and 6'3'. Any advice appreciated.

http://www.littlepinkshop.com/shop/takeoff-retro-custom-epoxy-surfboard-package-p-1366.html

Andy up in Troggs will get you a Firewire Dominator for about £500 if you wanna go brand new with one of the best brands in the world. They are super durable and have a proper rocker in them- not like popouts.

I got mine this week, waiting to surf it this sunday. I've owned firewire before and swear by them

They go up to 6' 8" and 3" thick. Heaps of float with good performance.

Google firewire surfboards.

Advertisement