Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General reaction to the budget, based on circumstances.

Options
  • 11-12-2009 1:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭

It's been a long time since I posted here, but I'm curious as to the general reaction, based on your general circumstances. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to guess that Private = agree, and Public = disagree, but how many people are "crossing over" (so to speak) from their respective camps. Personally, I've spoken to a lot more Public Service people that somewhat agree with the budget (i.e. harsh but neccessary) than would appear to be the case on Boards.ie.

What is your reaction to the budget 65 votes

I am a private sector worker and I generally agree with the budget.
    0% 0 votes
    I am a private sector worker and I generally disagree with the budget.
    43% 28 votes
    I am a public sector worker and I generally agree with the budget.
    7% 5 votes
    I am a public sector worker and I generally disagree with the budget.
    13% 9 votes
    I am unemployed/student/training and I generally agree with the budget.
    7% 5 votes
    I am unemployed/student/training and I generally disagree with the budget.
    16% 11 votes
    Other/No opinion really
    10% 7 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭ReefBreak

Any chance the mods could sticky this for a week or so?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,253 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

The answers are misleading...

I'm a private sector worker who disagreed with the budget because I don't consider it nearly harsh enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭nurse23

personally dont think it was too bad (public service worker) they could have taken more of us. also think they could have tackled social welfare a lot more also. not people recently on the dole who have well paid their due to the state, the ill, the old or the disabled obviously. but the long term spongers or career social welfare recipients are still laughin. im on fairly good money even after reductions (not loaded by any means but ok for my own circumstances) and know dozens of families and individuals who are earning bucket loads from social welfare claiming everythin under the sun doning nixers, drug dealing you name it. as well as serious public service reform, our social welfare system really needs to be looked at. other than that thought budget was fair but could have been more severe on public servants, social welfare and high earners in private sector should have been hit too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭ReefBreak

Interesting already to see that two thirds of public sector workers generally agree with the budget (out of a sample of 6 so far).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Sleepy wrote: »
    The answers are misleading...

I'm a private sector worker who disagreed with the budget because I don't consider it nearly harsh enough.

Choose the 'Other' option.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭paraletic

reducing the price of a pint? what were they thinking, what about nappies or bread or train fares, (or even mortgages),

what lobby group suggested that (i wonder),i do drink (not much),
    this won't stop the shopping in newry.

the budget was unfair. for every one, not just public service workers.

i am public service worker, I am, or never have been well paid (as a pub serv worker) but i think we had to take a small(er) cut, but, we also need reform.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

I agree with most of it and not for selfish reasons. Depending on the finer points there's a very real chance I won't be able to continue in college next September, but if the money ain't there, it ain't there.

Advertisement