Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Over charging

Options
  • 11-12-2009 1:33pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 204 ✭✭

was down the galway shopping centre around 8 in the evening and seen a big sign on the window of the new off licence o briens, was advertising smirnoff for 17.99. was posters everywhere and right beside the till was leaflets with smirnoff as one of there main promotions, the girl scanned it and it came up 19.99, i said look around u its says its 17.99 everywhere in store, a male member of staff came up and told me the offers up and refused to sell it for the 17.99 advertised everywhere in store. just found it a bit ridiculous and ended up laughing at them and ended up paying 20.99 somewhere else put it was the point of the matter

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭fifib

think i saw it for €16.99 in Dunnes! if its the 70cl bottle you mean

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Totally ****ty but perfectly legal under offer and acceptance laws.

The manager was an eejit, probably will lose a lot more than the €2 it would have cost him to allow you the offer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

Joyces in Knocknacarra are dreadful for this sort of thing too.

They obviously have a monkey working in their EPOS

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭gerkeo

Joyces (Athenry one most familiar) in general are terrible for their instore price ticketing, never a price near the product.
    That said their beer is very competitive this year. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭big b

That's a bit harsh on monkeys.

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

OP the price you see is the price you pay. It's on the shop to control their POS/Offers. If the offer was over then all POS relevant to the offer should have been removed etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭padraig71

Fair play, OP, you were totally in the right. I never leave a shop without checking the receipt and have been overcharged in this way countless times. You should only have to pay the advertised price. If you're lucky, when you point out that you have been overcharged they sometimes give you the item in question for free as well as your money back (at least they used to in the Eyre Sq Dunnes), though unfortunately not usually with expensive items like bottles of spirits! BTW, anyone passing through Moycullen tomorrow, Jameson 70cl is 16.49 in Supervalu, ends this Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

They are a feckin disaster. I have caught them out twice on price before.

I always check dates too; sometimes BBF dates are too close. During the summer I bought Salad Cream which had a Best Before that date of END JULY 2009 which was only 2 days away. Nothing illegal about that but you just got to watch this stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

Steyr wrote: »
    OP the price you see is the price you pay.

Eh no it's not. Invitation to treat and all that. Guys on Consumer Issues can explain it far better than I ever could.

****ty behavior and all but get your ass to a supermarket!

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭cant26

fifib wrote: »
    think i saw it for €16.99 in Dunnes! if its the 70cl bottle you mean

I got the 70cl bottle of Smirnoff in Joyces Knocnacarra for 14.36 this evening..so cheap its up tomorrow though

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Arnold Layne

Not just Joyce's, alll supermarkets do it. Have had to go back to Dunnes & Tesco on occasions for overcharging. Tesco , in fairness, have a policy of refunding you the money and giving you the item for free.

Not just Joyce's, alll supermarkets do it. Have had to go back to Dunnes & Tesco on occasions for overcharging. Tesco , in fairness, have a policy of refunding you the money and giving you the item for free.

At least Dunnes and Tesco don't blatantly advertise products in local press at one price and charge you another instore.

Last weeks Advertiser had the usual two page Pat Joyce grinning advert amidst his offers for the week, one of which was large tins of roses for €5.95.

Except they were €6.95 in their system.

They are always at it in there; but that was the most recent example I came across.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Joyce's still at it eh?

Joyce's Supermarkets Limited t/a Joyce's Supermarket, Knocnacarra, Galway pleaded guilty to 2 breaches of Section 7 (1)(a) of the Consumer Information Act 1978 on 9th March 2006, by
    * displaying the price of packs of toilet roll at €4.99 for two, whereas the price charged was €5.98, and
    * displaying the price of Palmolive Hand Soap at €2.99 for two - "buy one, get one free"- whereas the price charged was €5.98 for two.

Older thread

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 204 ✭✭GuessWho2009

sent an email to o briens website and the company has apologised said the offer had ended that day, that the signs should of been takin down and said that the staff should of honoured the 17.99 price and took down the signs then but offered me a free bottle of wine as an apology. not going to take the wine but its nice to know that there is a good customer service in place

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Cool, glad to hear it worked out somehow.

Advertisement