Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NIC

Options
  • 11-12-2009 2:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭

hi everyone

i am messing around with a computer and have installed a network interface card. it is pnp compatible and is looking to use IRQ 5 as its resource. i am aware that IRQ 5 is been used by the sound card. just wondering what IRQ the network card would commonly use. should i assign a different interrupt to the sound card and give the network card IRQ 5 as i believe the network card is of bigger priority. another question i would like to know is how can i change assigned interrupts. is it device manager or resource manager. am only learning putting these together so would appreciate help

it is a PCI network interface card the IRQ's i can make available are 3, 4 , 5 and 6

would be greatful for help as i dont want to mess the computer up

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,320 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

colmtowey wrote: »
    hi everyone

i am messing around with a computer and have installed a network interface card. it is pnp compatible and is looking to use IRQ 5 as its resource. i am aware that IRQ 5 is been used by the sound card. just wondering what IRQ the network card would commonly use. should i assign a different interrupt to the sound card and give the network card IRQ 5 as i believe the network card is of bigger priority. another question i would like to know is how can i change assigned interrupts. is it device manager or resource manager. am only learning putting these together so would appreciate help

it is a PCI network interface card the IRQ's i can make available are 3, 4 , 5 and 6

would be greatful for help as i dont want to mess the computer up

Why are you trying to manually assign IRQ's? Why aren't you just letting the BIOS or OS handle that?

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭colmtowey

HI Spear, thanks for you reply.

i am aware that the computer will configure all cards automatically but what i really want to know is it better that the network card is at IRQ 5 than the sound card or should i leave the sound card where it is. i am aware that the OS will assign what it believes to be the best order of IRQ'S. I suppose my question is more valid for non pnp systems (pre 95). it is something that is bugging me and i would like to know what other people think. i am well aware that it is rare to come across a non pnp OS but it is possible. i would like to know for peace of mind rather than anything else and how to reassign IRQ'S if possible. i know that they are available in device manager but are they changed through device manager or are the changed through resource manager.

as i said i am only learning and would not mind knowing for future reference.

thank's

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,320 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

colmtowey wrote: »
    HI Spear, thanks for you reply.

i am aware that the computer will configure all cards automatically but what i really want to know is it better that the network card is at IRQ 5 than the sound card or should i leave the sound card where it is. i am aware that the OS will assign what it believes to be the best order of IRQ'S. I suppose my question is more valid for non pnp systems (pre 95). it is something that is bugging me and i would like to know what other people think. i am well aware that it is rare to come across a non pnp OS but it is possible. i would like to know for peace of mind rather than anything else and how to reassign IRQ'S if possible. i know that they are available in device manager but are they changed through device manager or are the changed through resource manager.

as i said i am only learning and would not mind knowing for future reference.

thank's

From my years of experience I tended to leave sounds card at IRQ5 for simplicitys sake, as that was usually the default for them. With the NIC getting whatever was left spare after that only.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Username seemed familiar. At least your getting better at trying to mask your exam questions as actual questions.

Advertisement