Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Work load with a taught masters?

Options
  • 11-12-2009 2:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭

Hi,
    I'm pretty definite that Ill be doing a masters next year but bit unsure about something! Ill absolutely have to work part time to support myself and I was wondering if this is a big no no or not? I'm thinking of Information for business systems performance/sustainable energy systems.

Could anyone tell me what the workload in a typical taught masters is like, coompared to final yr of an undergrad?

Really appreciate it,
    Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭notnem

I'm doing the MBA in DCU and could let you know from that point of view if you want. I work 4.5 days a week with lectures on a Wed.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Roro4Brit

Just did MSc last year. From my point of view I worked 16-18 hours a week, luckily on a saturday and sunday....was no problem.....

Monday to Friday I just worked very hard - used the library loads and just went to lectures between 10-4 usually and then did 4-9 in the lib.

It was a busy year and I spent many many sat nights in after work doing essays and assingments when the mates were out getting locked :p also I did budget so that I could take most of Jan and May off for exams which was a must in my case...

Ideally you shouldn't work...but that's not real life for 80% of people doing a masters so once you can study efficiently when you are not in work and dont do too many hours - your studies shouldn't suffer.

Good luck! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭tonsiltickler

cheers to both of ye thanks for your help!

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭notnem

I meant to get back to you sooner. The masters I'm on is very interesting and very relevant and has very little relationship to my experiences in doing my first degree. I could safetly say everybody on the course enjoys the lectures and all assignments and projects are very relevant. You are not being sent off to do work you will never use.

It is hard work, no doubt about that and I'm looking forward to having next weekend off, but you get used to it very quickly.

Advertisement