Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Any suggestions appreciated

• 11-12-2009 2:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

I am trying to find a way to get from Clane Co Kildare to Park West without having to spend 5 hours a day in several buses, Luas, walking from one stop to the other, etc... I might be working in this new location early next year, I am kind of forced to do it, and I have no idea how to get to the new place without losing the will to live. I commute from 4 hours a day as it is now, if it is any longer I have no idea what I would do. It is bad enough leaving at 7 am to get home at 19:15.
    I tried looking for a bus that could leave me in Sallins before 7:44 am which seems to be the most suitable train considering I may still start work at 9 am. Flaw in the master? First bus from Clane to Sallins is at 7:40 am.

Using Bus Eireann and Dublin Bus will add another hour a day if I am lucky and don't miss the Dublin Bus one.....

I could do with some ideas because right now, I do not know what to do.

Thanks for taking the time to read my rant!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭T Corolla

Take the car you are in an area with low level public transport.
    The train is really the only option maybe with the completion on the Luas in years to come your journey will be more viable in a public transport point of view
    You could drive to Celbridge get the train to heuston you could get the 79a from hueston station journey time 1hr 30 mins in total from Celbridge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

Would it be possible/practical to cycle to sallins ?

Not on that road far too windy and dangerous at any time.
    I had a minor accident on one of the dangerous bends cost me a few quid to repair my own car

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Lost the plot

I am afraid it would be quite dangerous as T Corolla says, particularly if it is dark or wet, never mind icy. And he was in a car! Imagine no chasis to protect you :-S Mince meat!

Err.. That is the real problem really, cannot drive and trying to learn when you are commuting long hours can take months, and months, and months....and then waiting lists. We hear governments you have to reduce your carbon footprints, blah, blah, blah.... They should make it a bit easier I think! I am forced to do it because I don't drive but with these options? Who in their right mind would choose to commute?

• Advertisement

If you can get to sallins there is a train at 6:50am that serves cherry orchard and park west is that near your destination time is 25 to 30 mins. I did not spot the second train in morning witch does all the stops silly me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭Vic_08

I am trying to find a way to get from Clane Co Kildare to Park West without having to spend 5 hours a day in several buses, Luas, walking from one stop to the other, etc... I might be working in this new location early next year, I am kind of forced to do it, and I have no idea how to get to the new place without losing the will to live. I commute from 4 hours a day as it is now, if it is any longer I have no idea what I would do. It is bad enough leaving at 7 am to get home at 19:15.
    I tried looking for a bus that could leave me in Sallins before 7:44 am which seems to be the most suitable train considering I may still start work at 9 am. Flaw in the master? First bus from Clane to Sallins is at 7:40 am.

Using Bus Eireann and Dublin Bus will add another hour a day if I am lucky and don't miss the Dublin Bus one.....

I could do with some ideas because right now, I do not know what to do.

Thanks for taking the time to read my rant!

The first JJKavanagh bus from Clane is at 7.40 but there is a Bus Eireann service from Clane to Sallins at 7.30, it would be a tight connection to the 7.44 train, you would need to try it to see if it is possible.

Apart from that IMO the best route for you would be the 120/123 bus from Clane to Heuston and train from there. The 7.40 bus would get you to Heuston in plenty of time for the 8.35 train which would get you to Parkwest station for 8.42.

As for the return journey, the train to Sallins would be quick but the JJKavanagh bus does not give a good connection so you would have a long wait or find another way from Sallins. Train parkwest 17.22 arr Sallins 17.45 bus from Sallins is at 18.29, arr clane 18.37

Via Bus Eireann, the train from Parkwest at 17.48 arrives in Heuston at 18.00. The 18.00 120 bus from Connolly will not get to Heuston until 18.10/18.15 and is due to arrive in Clane at 18.50.

If the train times don't suit the 79A stops at Heuston and AMC run a bus from Parkwest to the City which would be more direct, you would neet to contact them to check if they pick up at Heuston (or Con Colbert road where the Bus Eireann services also stop)

It is not an ideal commute but with a bit of luck it could be less than the 4hours you say you are taking at present. It could be quite expensive though if your best outward and inward routes are different.

I agree with Lost the plot about carbon foot print and that malarkey.
    In fairness with the KRP I am sure there could have been provision for a station in Clane. Your biggest problem is getting to the station in Sallins after that your options are a bit better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

a station in clane would have needed a large spur from the line so wasn't at all an option for the krp...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,090 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Have you considered something right out of the box like moving?

Suggesting that because I'm guessing job-hunting probably isn't going to yield you much at the moment.

Commute times (not to mention) costs like that are sheer madness.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭Niall F

Car pooling?? The following link mentions carpooling from ParkWest. Might be something in it for you...
    http://www.parkwest.ie/transport/for_commuters.asp

Good man Niall F I carpool myself and never thought of it

Many thanks for all the suggestions guys, they are really appreciated!
    I am not too sure if this is going to happen by the way boss was talking today or even if there are going to be jobs for all of us. So I am afraid the moving house for a job I don't know if I am going to have for sure is not worth it. May end up moving but abroad if things continue this way.
    Once again, many thanks guys for the suggestions

Advertisement