Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What tech did you buy?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

resurection time...

Logitech X530 5.1 Surround.

logitech_x_530.jpg

obviously not a photo by me, but my desk is a mess at the moment and ill update ye with a nice shot when i get around to cleaning it up.

the pic doesnt do them justice really, they look far nicer in reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

I have the 540s. Great speakers for the price. You really need sound card to do them justice though. :)

Just ordered one of these. Might end up cancelling and picking one up in PC World instead though.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭deejer

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    resurection time...

Logitech X530 5.1 Surround.

logitech_x_530.jpg

obviously not a photo by me, but my desk is a mess at the moment and ill update ye with a nice shot when i get around to cleaning it up.

the pic doesnt do them justice really, they look far nicer in reality.

Nice speakers for the price. How do they sound?? Still have my speakers that I bought in Lidl about 5yrs ago. Thiink its time to update!

deejer wrote: »
    Nice speakers for the price. How do they sound?? Still have my speakers that I bought in Lidl about 5yrs ago. Thiink its time to update!

The €30 2.1 Trust set? I've had those too. These are far superior.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

Logitech make good gaming mice and webcams. They do not make good audio.

• Advertisement

Baza210 wrote: »
    Logitech make good gaming mice and webcams. They do not make good audio.
    Z5500's get better reviews than anything electronic ive ever read about?
    ive actually never come across a review that didnt praise it endlessly. apparently a few people had to replace a fuse after a year.. €1 worth of repairs for years of service. not bad.

EDIT: and FWIW, i got these second hand, lightly used and look perfect for... €20. and another €20 to get them delivered. they're £80 on amazon.

Serephucus wrote: »
    The €30 2.1 Trust set? I've had those too. These are far superior.

ya thats them. Will keep an eye out on adverts now I think!

deejer wrote: »
    ya thats them. Will keep an eye out on adverts now I think!
    It must be said, but my speakers go through random moods of what can only be described as "popping" which can be activated by the fridge or shower kicking in. apparently its due to my electrical wiring in my house being very "noisy". it only happens late at night and when the speakers are on but not in use.

It must be said, but my speakers go through random moods of what can only be described as "popping" which can be activated by the fridge or shower kicking in. apparently its due to my electrical wiring in my house being very "noisy". it only happens late at night and when the speakers are on but not in use.

mmmm....... sounds like ghosts to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Trevor451

Just bought myself a LG optimus 7. Cant wait to try out windows phone 7 :D

http://www.engadget.com/2010/10/22/lg-optimus-7-review/

the specs are great for the price (€200 :eek: )

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056263837

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Ick. I neeeeeed a QWERTY keyboard on a smartphone or its a no-go!

Solitaire wrote: »
    Ick. I neeeeeed a QWERTY keyboard on a smartphone or its a no-go!

I assume you mean a hardware keyboard? Desire Z might be something to look into if you're an Android fan.

If this counts as tech, I picked up Singularity on Steam for 66% off. Looks very Wolfenstein-esque (which is to be expected, I suppose, running the same engine and designed by the same company), but a little different. One of those fun-to-play but not-too-serious games.

One cool multiplayer option being that you can play as one of the uglies you spend most of the game killing.

AFAIK there are eleventy-seven BILLION keyboard smartphones in the US.

In Ireland, there's... two :o:p

I'm waiting for the Z to come down in price but its going to be weak compared to upcoming phones - it only has an 800MHz CPU :o Not as fond of the Torch though...

There is that. Pick one up using MyUS.com or something? I'm assuming you'd root it anyway, so network restrictions shouldn't be a problem.

I was going to get a Z purely for the fact it has a keyboard, but i got a good deal on a Desire HD, so went with that. i must admit, im not fond of txting on a touch screen, but most people with the Z would tell you that they dont really use the keyboard after a few wekks/months anyway. the bigger screen is a bonus too.

dont be ashamed of the 800Mhz processor, its very capable and is the same as the DHD, only downclocked. it can be OC'd to 1.5Ghz apparently, and fully stable.

I used to think I needed a hardware keyboard, but after using a Desire for a few months, I have to say, I don't think I'd go back. It's harder to get used to, and probably a little less accurate, but it's a fair amount faster once you get used to it, simply for the fact that you don't need the pressure of actually pressing a button.

I reviewed the Desire Z here: http://www.androidpolice.com/2011/02/24/htc-desire-z-long-term-ownership-hardware-review/. Suffice to say I completely disagree with your "software keyboards are faster" conclusion.

I have a Nexus One (identical to the Desire) and it has the most frustratingly inaccurate capacitive touch panel I have used. I'm probably not your typical user, but I certainly found that a hardware keyboard was extremely useful and I feel compelled to consider it a mandatory feature in my next phone. With that said I don't have a great deal of experience with non-crap touchscreen typing, so that opinion might change somewhat when I get my hands on the Samsung Galaxy S II tomorrow/Monday.

My latest tech purchase was a Giant Squid Audio Labs mono omnidirectional microphone which I plan to use for gaming. http://www.giant-squid-audio-lab.com/gs/gs-mono.html. Most, if not all, gaming "headsets" sacrifice sound quality for style and convenience, while my preferred option is separate microphone and headphones. It took me some time to find an adequate microphone for a price that I was happy to pay, but this lavalier-style seems ideal. Its intended use case is with field recorders or camcorders, but it seems to work quite capably plugged straight in to my laptop's soundcard ports. I may try it with a cheap amplifier in-line (eg FiiO E5) to see if I can boost the volume a bit, as it is slightly quiet right now when clipped to my shirt.

AFAIK the Viewty is considered "good" and I still can't stand typing on it for long periods. Add the fact that your average software keyboard takes up one-half to two-thirds of the screen and it strikes you as a very backward way of doing things on a phone you want to use as a pint-size laptop...

I was actually thinking about how OCable the Z was...

Baza210 wrote: »
    thats insane. how is it not seriously overheating? thats double the stock speed!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Trevor451

Thanks for putting up with all my annoying threads everyone..

these pics are straight from my D40 so they could be huge...:o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

Not jealous... i swear! pic size are grand.

Post in here when it's all built!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

I'll be up friday morning:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Joseph

For your 21st? :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

Grats on finally getting the stuff :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Quite the spread! Balloons and all to celebrate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

Thanks for putting up with all my annoying threads everyone..

these pics are straight from my D40 so they could be huge...:o
    :eek:

I'm a little annoyed with HWVS, I ordered 2 reference design powercolour 6950s in the hope of unlocking shaders, and what I got instead in their boxes were a PCS++ version, which is good, cause apparently they can be unlocked to full 6970s (and it takes an 8+6 power cord to account for this) with copper heat pipes everywhere, and then the other was a dual fan custom cooled design that's shorter than the pcs but also has a BIOS switch...? they're in the wrong boxes so I know nothing about them yet. eventually got the PC up and running after having to reseating the GPUs a few times, installed Windows7 etc at 6am this morning. I installed all the drivers etc, then I download GPU-Z to see what's what (I had noticed that both of the cards had their BIOS switch to BIOS number 2, which I thought may be odd) anyway as soon as started up GPUz I got a BSOD and I got so annoyed I went to bed. I suspect my cards have been handled outside of the factory and someone tried to mod them and failed.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

I'm a little annoyed with HWVS, I ordered 2 reference design powercolour 6950s in the hope of unlocking shaders, and what I got instead in their boxes were a PCS++ version, which is good, cause apparently they can be unlocked to full 6970s (and it takes an 8+6 power cord to account for this) with copper heat pipes everywhere, and then the other was a dual fan custom cooled design that's shorter than the pcs but also has a BIOS switch...? they're in the wrong boxes so I know nothing about them yet. eventually got the PC up and running after having to reseating the GPUs a few times, installed Windows7 etc at 6am this morning. I installed all the drivers etc, then I download GPU-Z to see what's what (I had noticed that both of the cards had their BIOS switch to BIOS number 2, which I thought may be odd) anyway as soon as started up GPUz I got a BSOD and I got so annoyed I went to bed. I suspect my cards have been handled outside of the factory and someone tried to mod them and failed.

Did it say 'Special Item' when you ordrered them? Thats HWVS code for open box.

Advertisement