Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Public Servants Against Industrial Action

Options
  • 11-12-2009 2:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭

Anyone with me on this one?

(yes i admit it, even tho i claimed it was my wife was a PS, its me. Just goes to show how embarassed and almost ashamed I was made to feel for being a PS in the current climate!:o)

But anyway, I am a PS 100% against any further industrial action.

Just let it be lads, let it be.......

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭BC

Yep, me.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Liam79 wrote: »

(yes i admit it, even tho i claimed it was my wife was a PS, its me. Just goes to show how embarassed and almost ashamed I was made to feel for being a PS in the current climate!:o)

post of the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭nurse23

totally against further action. wont get anyone anywhere. i never joined union anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭Liam79

nurse23 wrote: »
    totally against further action. wont get anyone anywhere. i never joined union anyway!

i am in Impact, voted no last time and am currently in the middle of leaving the union

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭frman

Jaysus Liam.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭Rujib1

i am in Impact, voted no last time and am currently in the middle of leaving the union

Is it how you don't pack enough testosterone to grow a beard, that you are getting out :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭JodTT

I'm currently waiting to see what the Unions come up with next, but no, should it be strike, I won't be on any picketline. I've had enough, and I have no intention of losing any more of the money I work hard for.

There's a good chance I'll be leaving my Union in January.

frman wrote: »
    Jaysus Liam.

i know i know........:o

But trust me Frman, i was given much more creedence in here when people thought I was a Private Sector worker. Being a PS worker on boards for the last 2 weeks has been like being a leper.....

But I may as well be honest at this stage. Apologies for the BS.

But I stand by my argument, PS workers should NOT strike again.....its pointless.

We have taken our medicine and now we need to swallow it. Its about the long term good not the short term gain.

Rujib1 wrote: »
    Is it how you don't pack enough testosterone to grow a beard, that you are getting out :cool:

Had one, shaved it off.
    Kept getting cheese stuck in it!!

JodTT wrote: »
    I'm currently waiting to see what the Unions come up with next, but no, should it be strike, I won't be on any picketline. I've had enough, and I have no intention of losing any more of the money I work hard for.

There's a good chance I'll be leaving my Union in January.

Why wait till January? Give yourself a well deserved christmas pressie, and get out now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭danman

Jaysus Liam, did someone hack into your Boards account and post a new thread in your name?????

Good man yourself for your honesty. My wife lost 4,000euro in the budget, she says she has no intention of striking. She also understands the countries situation.

Had one, shaved it off.
    Kept getting cheese stuck in it!!

Had one myself, but kept getting hit on by other beards, calling me comrade :eek:

your better off savin the few quid union fees:). where i work impact, pna and ino the main unions and most people i know are very disgruntled with them and want no more strikes, we want to continue to work. understand how ya feel about feeling ashamed to be in the public service around here, some of the hostility is scary!! but ya shouldn't feel that way, at the end of the day its just a job. yes we are grateful for pensions, security etc. but we personally didn't come up with these, it was the powers that be and we shouldn't be personally apologetic. i became a nurse cos i wanted to be a nurse and not because i wanted to be a public sector worker!! it just so happens that most jobs are state jobs!! couldnt give a toss about pensions either, im 23 i might not live till 66!! but i guess as a nurse i'd have no problem gettin a job in private sector or abroad so if i get a good offer else where ill jack the current job and save the state a few more thousand:D.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,564 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Count me in. Although I may be about to join a union - for reasons completely unrelated to pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,995 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Are you still a library assistant? With the whole librarian chic thing going on? With glasses? Glasses on a chain? Hawt.

your better off savin the few quid union fees:). where i work impact, pna and ino the main unions and most people i know are very disgruntled with them and want no more strikes, we want to continue to work. understand how ya feel about feeling ashamed to be in the public service around here, some of the hostility is scary!! but ya shouldn't feel that way, at the end of the day its just a job. yes we are grateful for pensions, security etc. but we personally didn't come up with these, it was the powers that be and we shouldn't be personally apologetic. i became a nurse cos i wanted to be a nurse and not because i wanted to be a public sector worker!! it just so happens that most jobs are state jobs!! couldnt give a toss about pensions either, im 23 i might not live till 66!! but i guess as a nurse i'd have no problem gettin a job in private sector or abroad so if i get a good offer else where ill jack the current job and save the state a few more thousand:D.

Hey Nurse, what have ye done with our favourite non bearded, beard. The one and only "back off and shut up Liam Doran"?
    I don't know about you, but I have missed him all this week on TV. I find one minute of him on the nine o'clock news, is better than two full episodes of Fawlty Towers, in terms of a right good ole laugh!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Wood

Not in a union, don't think they do anybody anygood, apart from being jobs for the boys they do sweet FA

I worked the first time they went on strike, took annual leave the second.

Sick of it at this stage. Let's just get on with it, we're all broke, all we can do now is get used to it.

Hey Nurse, what have ye done with our favourite non bearded, beard. The one and only "back off and shut up Liam Doran"?
    I don't know about you, but I have missed him all this week on TV. I find one minute of him on the nine o'clock news, is better than two full episodes of Fawlty Towers, in terms of a right good ole laugh!!!!

Me thinks its no coincidence that he fairly disappeared into the backround after the "shut up" comment!!! :D
    I'd say Begg and Jack tied him up in a small room and forced some Sleepy Sleepy Snoozey Snooze into him!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 dilligaf73

I'm in the private sector and have lost my job. Picked up part time work and trying to get by on less than 25k with mortgage and two kids. Refreshing to hear a voice from the public sector talking of moderation and sense. The unions are doing an awesome job of agravating the country and turning the private against the public sector. I personally believe the lower paid workers in the public sector should have been immune from cuts! They have to live in the same world that I have. I would love to know what the top union guys, who are being heard on radio threatening strike action, are paid. Listening to some of them answering questions makes me think of how difficult it would be to nail a jellyfish to a wall.

i became a nurse cos i wanted to be a nurse and not because i wanted to be a public sector worker.

Everyone knows women become nurses so that they can see more willies. :D

• Advertisement

whos Liam Doran?? im probably comin across as really thick!! but dont really watch the news as its pure depression!!:)

Stark wrote: »
    Are you still a library assistant? With the whole librarian chic thing going on? With glasses? Glasses on a chain? Hawt.

Are you still a Moderator?

With ginger hair, E=MC2 Tshirt, Spotty chin, Sure Roll-on as a shower substitute and Dennis Taylor Glasses?

Hawt

Everyone knows women become nurses so that they can see more willies. :D
    dang ya got me!! but then i quickly realised the only ones id see were shrivelled wrinkly ones!!:D

dang ya got me!! but then i quickly realised the only ones id see were shrivelled wrinkly ones!!:D

you're obviously wearing the wrong uniform !

you're obviously wearing the wrong uniform !

maybe i was!! dont work in hospital anymore but if i go back ill campaign for better sexier uniforms, now thats industrial action the men of ireland would get behind:D

maybe i was!! dont work in hospital anymore but if i go back ill campaign for better sexier uniforms, now thats industrial action the men of ireland would get behind:D

I'd say thats not all Frman wants to get behind ;)

anyways................

whos Liam Doran?? im probably comin across as really thick!! but dont really watch the news as its pure depression!!:)

OMG, your's my kinda nurse :D Can I get sick and come to your hospital?

As you don't know who Liam Doran is, I don't think I will blight your outlook by making you any wiser. Believe me, you are far better off not knowing who the little runt is. Sad thing is you are probably paying good money out of your well earned wages every week, to keep him in a "very. very well paid job"!!:confused:

I'd say thats not all Frman wants to get behind ;)

anyways................

OI !!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

I very much doubt that any further industrial action the union calls for will be for a strike.
    There is no support for either public or from the members

Work to rule perhaps!

Anyway the way to change the union isn't to quit. Unions are not a bad thing the idea to protect workers is always a good thing. Many public servants will feel some sense of dissapointment at the union and thats normal after something like this.

The current unions leaders are no good that much is clear.
    For the lower grade union the CPSU, the ICTU became a burden rather than a benefit, all that talk of equal cuts form the union is bullcrap to the CPSU members they are the lowest paid and their wages would see them struggle to feed and home themselves dont mind any dependants, so equality in cuts would never be a good thing for them. They needed to distance themselves from the overpaid grades not associate themselves with them.

As for the GPRA and the nurses unions they again could have argued their case better without the ICTU too, if on nothing else, then the risks involved in their jobs.

But unions are good things if people are feeling disappointed now thats a good thing just like we need to with the government remember that feeling and use your right to vote and get these people out. Thats the unions chiefs, thats our elected representatives. Quiting the union is a failure, trying to change it for your betterment by voting and going to union meetings is the right way. If you want your voice to be heard it is better not to stand alone

• Advertisement

Doran has taken a couple of weeks sabatical.
    When he returns he will look something like this.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_FdEdvFQfwAU/SPSwBGAgDLI/AAAAAAAAH_M/Vx8Yj4JFFus/s400/long+beard.jpg

Advertisement