Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Public Servants Against Industrial Action

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭waitingforBB

Absurdum wrote: »
    I paid just over €13 per fortnight before I copped on that it was nicer in my pocket than in McLoone's.

McLoone's salary is 171,000. Not sure what he 'earned' while head of the FAS board before he had to resig in disgrace.

How does this guy have any credibility?

It's apparant from this thread the dissenters are finding their voices..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Absurdum wrote: »
    I paid just over €13 per fortnight before I copped on that it was nicer in my pocket than in McLoone's.

€338 per year so? It's quite a lot of money. Plus you may have lost a days pay too.

I hope the leaders can justify it. Maybe time for them to lower fees

• Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭gerry28

Liam79 are you against strikes or industrial action full stop. What will your reaction be if the government try to force through reform now?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,025 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

gerry28 wrote: »
    Liam79 are you against strikes or industrial action full stop. What will your reaction be if the government try to force through reform now?
    The reform we were promised in exchange for the benchmarking is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

mikemac wrote: »
    €338 per year so? It's quite a lot of money. Plus you may have lost a days pay too.

I hope the leaders can justify it. Maybe time for them to lower fees

I couldn't agree more. Union dues should be dropped in proportion with the drop in union members' salaries. I am reminded of the closing scene in Orwell's 1984 where the pigs (who instigation the revolt against humankind) are virtually indistinguishable from the humans.

All pigs are equal, but some pigs are more equal than others. Indeed :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Emme wrote: »
    I am reminded of the closing scene in Orwell's 1984 where the pigs (who instigation the revolt against humankind) are virtually indistinguishable from the humans.

All pigs are equal, but some pigs are more equal than others. Indeed :rolleyes:

That was Animal Farm, not 1984 :)
    Two great books though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

Liam79 wrote: »
    Anyone with me on this one?

(yes i admit it, even tho i claimed it was my wife was a PS, its me. Just goes to show how embarassed and almost ashamed I was made to feel for being a PS in the current climate!:o)

But anyway, I am a PS 100% against any further industrial action.

Just let it be lads, let it be.......
    yeah says a lot about the general climate on here when people have to post fictions, although that didn't hamper some of the posters haranguing the PS with made up statistics/stats where no source was provided.

murphaph wrote: »
    The reform we were promised in exchange for the benchmarking is it?

The new reforms that were on offer in the union/government talks last week that would have seen people move between departments etc.

The benchmarking report was pretty vague on specifics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

I'm completely against any form of industrial action, and as such I am not a member of any union. A number of my colleagues have left Impact as they dont want to go out on strike either. I'm glad to see here that I am not the only person who doesnt back the futile attempt at trying to convince the government to keep pay as it is. I just hope those who are in the likes of Impact can convince their leadership to cop on and see things as they are, the country is broke, and any more all out strikes will not achieve anything other than driving a further wedge between public and private sector workers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Johnboymac

striking wont do any good for any of us public/civil servants.. we will be out of pocket and out of favour with the very people we serve...yes the budget was unfair...neccessary..but unfair.. the unions didnt help matters so i for one have stopped paying dues as we took a hit of 5-7.5% so at least i'm not losing another 1% on top of that.

• Advertisement

Liam79 wrote: »
    (yes i admit it, even tho i claimed it was my wife was a PS, its me. Just goes to show how embarassed and almost ashamed I was made to feel for being a PS in the current climate!:o)

If a man is afraid to post his issues, beliefs and views behind an anonymous username then realy, why do you post on boards at all? :confused:

All I know about you is you are in Limerick and that is from another thread. If have something to say then say it!
    Your union leaders have more backbone and courage then you as they say what they want, when they want.
    If you disagree with them, they use your username and post it here

• Registered Users Posts: 19,025 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

gerry28 wrote: »
    The new reforms that were on offer in the union/government talks last week that would have seen people move between departments etc.

The benchmarking report was pretty vague on specifics.
    To be honest Gerry, the general public are fed up of vague promises of reform. It never comes in the quantities required and when it does it is pulled kicking an screaming out of the public sector and their unions. The whole Celtic Tiger period was marked with pay increase upon pay increase for the public sector. We never got any meaningful reform or increases in efficiencies. Why would we believe you or your unions that this time there would have been reform? The boy that cried wolf comes to mind here.

The government, with the popular support of the general public, should now move to force through changes to work practices en masse, cutting all the silly allowances and legacy BULLSH!T like an hour off every two weeks to cash a non existant cheque etc. etc. etc.

The decent hardworking civil and public service workers need to do some deep soul searching and decide once and for all, do they want to be forever joined at the hip (through their lethargic, intransigent unions) to their lazier colleagues. Or do they want to ditch their unions and bring in a system where people are paid according to effort. The harder working people get paid more, the lazy and incompetent ones get the bullet, INCLUDING management at all levels.

It's time for the hardworking in the civil and public service to stand up and be counted. Your country needs you. If you don't, you will have to be lumped in with the useless ones and suffer needlessly.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭modmuffin

I am also Public Sector and do not wish to strike (again). I voted no at the last ballot and will be voting no again.
    I reckon the PS are about 50/50 for/against srike action at the moment.
    Its worth remembering that if everyone who doesnt want to strike leaves the unions then they will have their majority at the next ballot again.

Im very disappointed the government didnt take the opportunity to reform the public sector with the cooperation of the unions. There was a chance for long term savings and a better more efficient PS.
    As it stands there will be little/no cooperation with any proposed changes, which is a shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭S.L.F

modmuffin wrote: »
    I am also Public Sector and do not wish to strike (again). I voted no at the last ballot and will be voting no again.
    I reckon the PS are about 50/50 for/against srike action at the moment.
    Its worth remembering that if everyone who doesnt want to strike leaves the unions then they will have their majority at the next ballot again.

Im very disappointed the government didnt take the opportunity to reform the public sector with the cooperation of the unions. There was a chance for long term savings and a better more efficient PS.
    As it stands there will be little/no cooperation with any proposed changes, which is a shame.

Not to mention tha fact that even if they get perfect reform they'll probably still come back at the Public Service again looking for more wage cuts.

murphaph wrote: »
    The government, with the popular support of the general public, should now move to force through changes to work practices en masse, cutting all the silly allowances and legacy BULLSH!T like an hour off every two weeks to cash a non existant cheque etc. etc. etc.

I was angry when the talks broke down, not because of the 12 days unpaid leave that was a load of old tosh. They would have been back in 2011 looking for the same money anyway.

I wanted reform, but it had to be agreed reform. It would be good for the PS if people could be sacked for laziness and incompetence. If people who worked hard got on and those who did not were let go.

But we are in the position now where an incompetent government is saving their own skin on the back of going tough on the PS. And if the likes of Mary Hanifan thinks she is going to threaten us into reform then she is very wrong.

I believe if you are incompetent and mess up then you should be out on your ear and thats exactly what should happen to this government.

A new government could achieve reform because their is an appetite for it in the PS, but i for one can't stomach this shower of incompetents and chancer getting back in for another term in two years time stepping on my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

mikemac wrote: »
    That was Animal Farm, not 1984 :)
    Two great books though

:oYou're right, it was Animal Farm. 1984 was where you couldn't say "bad", you had to say "ungood" instead.

The point I was trying to make is that union top brass have more in common with the likes of Cowen and Lenihan (including inflated salaries) than they do with rank and file union members. Do they represent us at all at this stage?

Advertisement