Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If Santa was to bring you the ultimate phone, what features would it have?

• 11-12-2009 3:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭

Ok, not an overly serious thread, but given the time of year, if you were to get an ideal phone for Christmas, what features would it have?

For me, the following:

• Touch screen
    • Decent screen
    • No keyboard, no stylus (do you hear me N900 designers?)
    • Multitasking (do you hear me Apple?)
    • Minimum 5 Megapixel camera with decent flash
    • SatNav that actually works, with voice navigation as standard
    • unified communication - think N900 with lots more (i.e. sms, IMs, Facebook, MMS, etc.)
    • Battery life that actually lasts 24 hours, not 8-10
    • 3.5mm jack as standard
    • Proper synching with Outlook (stares at iPhone)
    • FM transmitter
    • All the usual - bluetooth, Wifi, HSDPA, etc.
    • Can be used as a modem for laptops
    Any more out-there features I am not thinking of?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 498 ✭✭Pyro Boy

Touch screen

Give me buttons !!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Don't some of the newer phones contain most of those features ? AFAIK an Omnia Pro has all those bar the FM transmitter and voice guided navigation but that's just software that can be added. It does have a slide out keyboard and stylus but you don't need to use them. Not sure if it can be used a modem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Pyro Boy wrote: »
    Touch screen

Give me buttons !!!!!

Buttons are so Last Century. :D
    Jip wrote: »
    Don't some of the newer phones contain most of those features ? AFAIK an Omnia Pro has all those bar the FM transmitter and voice guided navigation but that's just software that can be added. It does have a slide out keyboard and stylus but you don't need to use them. Not sure if it can be used a modem.

Ok, work with me here. :D Can you think of any features you would like to see that are not currently in any phones?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    [*]No keyboard, no stylus (do you hear me N900 designers?)

I'd be the opposite. make sure there is a keyboard and stylus.

But other than that I'd agree with the other stuff you have, alot of which can be found on most smartphones

I'd also add TV-Out. Nokia's have it but alot of other phones don't

TBH the main thing for me on smartphones is battery life. You can generally get the day out of them but this needs to get better before they start integrating more features \ hardware.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Ok, work with me here. :D Can you think of any features you would like to see that are not currently in any phones?

I see what you're getting at ! :D

TBH I can't think of anything, I think everything at the moment, most of my needs are pretty well covered at the moment but having said that as soon as I post this I'll think of one.
    matrim wrote: »
    I'd also add TV-Out. Nokia's have it but alot of other phones don't

TBH the main thing for me on smartphones is battery life. You can generally get the day out of them but this needs to get better before they start integrating more features \ hardware.

Again, TV out is covered by Samsung, plus you'd get about 2 days out of the battery, not a huge difference but getting there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Im gonna go with HTCs evolution of the Hero.I thinks its gonna hit the spot perfectly :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

It needs just two for me

1) Be a phone*
    2) Have decent battery life

*If I had wanted a media centre, a sat nav, or a personal organiser I wouldn't have asked for a phone.

nipplenuts wrote: »
    It needs just two for me

1) Be a phone*
    2) Have decent battery life

*If I had wanted a media centre, a sat nav, or a personal organiser I wouldn't have asked for a phone.

Ah but some of us who travel a bit like to have an all-in-one device with us that just so happens to have the ability to make phonecalls.

Another thing I just thought of - wireless wallet. Instead of carrying cards and cash around, a type of Laser/Visa card that works via a mobile phone.I believe something like this is being developed already.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭rushnaldo

In todays Irish daily Star gadget section there is a new wristwatch from Samsung with integrated phone and loudspeaker. Now that is taking it to a whole new level...one less item taking up room in my pocket. In a few years i guess we could have internet and tv and phone all on our wrists:)

Samsung-S9110-Watchphone.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭cpu-dude

COPY AND PASTE!!! It would be OMGLOLROFLTOTHEMAX!

Oh, it's not one of those threads... my bad :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭billbond4

The Sony Ericsson Satio has all that except for the 3.5mm jack (but you can get an adapter for that) and doesnt have FM transmitter

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Dr Rod Doom

Ah but some of us who travel a bit like to have an all-in-one device with us that just so happens to have the ability to make phonecalls.

Another thing I just thought of - wireless wallet. Instead of carrying cards and cash around, a type of Laser/Visa card that works via a mobile phone.I believe something like this is being developed already.

Yup, Near Field Communication tech is what you're thinking of, and it has been trialled in some places, but only allowing very small transactions so far afaik (bus journeys etc.).
    Most of the things you've mentioned are available in a lot of the new phones - HTCs, Samsungs, Nokias (I reckon the X6 would be a good fit for what you're saying there).

But for me, the big feature that's missing is... SIZE! I want phones that are BIGGER! The 5" screen on my Archos 5 is absolutely fantastic, perfect size for watching tv/ movies on a bus, and once you get used to it, it's not too much to carry around.
    I think screens on the new phones are still too small for what the things are able to do. Why have 32Gb of storage for movies if you can't watch 'em on the tiny screen?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

rushnaldo wrote: »
    In todays Irish daily Star gadget section there is a new wristwatch from Samsung with integrated phone and loudspeaker. Now that is taking it to a whole new level...one less item taking up room in my pocket. In a few years i guess we could have internet and tv and phone all on our wrists:)

Samsung-S9110-Watchphone.jpg

Looks fun but in all honestly using that on the street/public transport/pub would make you look like a complete tool :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I suppose for me it's not the features the phone has, but how the features are implemented. I mean all i really want is:
    1. A phone.
    2. A device for web browsing (wifi is a must). That has a stable, well designed mobile browser, that allows multiple tabs.
    3. Good music player and a 3.5mm jack.
    4. GPS is nice to have, i'm surprised how often i use it.
    My 5800 on paper has all those features, but my god the web browsing is very poor with the stock browser, the music player is acceptable, and the GPS is poor. I've been seriously looking aat the N900, but it's too expensive, and as yet unreleased in this corner of the world. I'll wait until the new year before i go buying it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,565 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Android OS
    SPB mobile shell interface
    Screen from HTC HD2
    Win Mo app selection
    Slide out keyboard and stylus
    iPhone 'slickness'
    And I couldn't give a rat's ass about the camera!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

N97 mini with one of those lovely HTC keyboards
    Better RAM, processor and screen res
    Dual booting iPhone OS or Android

But mainly a BIG ASS battery, I'm talking "you have to cross the street" big
    and
    It has to have some mechanism whereby I can locate the yoke in my house, whether it's on, off or on silent.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭rushnaldo

long_b wrote: »
    It has to have some mechanism whereby I can locate the yoke in my house, whether it's on, off or on silent.

LOL nice one:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭mkennedy

Probably a combination of the best features of the HTC Touch Pro 2/Iphone 3GS/Nokia N97/Moto Droid:

Thin, pocketable, light (<120g) device.
    Tilting slider qwerty (HTC Touch Pro 2).
    Decent 3 inch screen (not mad about the huge screen devices).
    Decent resolution.
    3.5 mm headphone jack.
    Proper GPS (not the bull$hit data subscription stuff with bull$hit maps) but updateable nevertheless and proper 3rd party satnav apps (tomtom, copilot etc).
    Seamless location-based customisation with proper integration of GPS/satnav with all other apps on the phone (contacts, web, email etc) (like a more sophisticated Google Maps).
    Up-to-date traffic info on satnav- via tmc/data connection.
    Decent removable storage (>32gb micro-sd cards) (not mad about internal storage).
    Decent battery life (days-weeks rather than hours) (even with heavy multitasking).
    HSDPA/wifi/wimax/bluetooth.
    FM tuner/DVB-H.
    TV-out.
    Software: the usual- POP email, good web browser, office apps, satnav, ebook, pdf document reader, notes app, mp3 player and video player apps etc etc.
    Barcode scanner app (Android shop savvy), remote control app etc etc :D
    >5mp camera.
    Decent processor (multitasking is a given).
    Capacitive/multitouch touchscreen (iphone).
    Eminently usable UI (iphone).
    Extensive and open (and not bull$hitty) app selection.
    Accelerometer.
    <400 euro (well preferably <100 euro :D).
    No bull$hit restrictions/proprietary stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭GigaByte

billbond4 wrote: »
    The Sony Ericsson Satio has all that except for the 3.5mm jack (but you can get an adapter for that) and doesnt have FM transmitter

The HTC HD2 has all of the listed items + 3.5mm jack and FM Transmitter but the battery doesn't last 24 hours.

Anyone with the HTC HD2 should install FPSEce so you can play all your old PSX games. Its cool!! :D
    http://www.fpsece.net/

Here's a nice demo
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFYeAmW03RM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

I'd want the European equivalent of the Samsung W880 with the following updates:

- 1080p video recording
    - Android or Symbian OS
    - QWERTY keyboard
    - Slimmer and more svelte design
    - 5x better battery life

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,247 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

An iPhone made by Google with SE optics. Oh - and if you place it in a cup of water with a teabag it will nuke it hot for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 498 ✭✭Pyro Boy

I think we have a winner :p in German

@jimmycrackcorm look at 2.11 it even can nuke your tea :D

Pyro Boy wrote: »
    I think we have a winner :p in German

Absolutely brilliant.

I especially liked the Flashback Technologies and SMSToToast. :D

I want.

Advertisement