Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unwanted spam txt ELECTROSHOCK

Options
  • 11-12-2009 3:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭

Does anyone get a weekly txt from +353851133233 informing about some music event? This weeks it's "Tomorow...First ELECTROSHOCK at Marquee, new classy club in Temple Bar, text me back for G-List"

I remember giving my number to "The Village" once and I do get spam from them from time to time, which I don't mind... so maybe this is connected. I want this new one to stop but don't want to reply to the text in case it's some scam that requires a reply.

Anyone else getting this that can shed some light?

:mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭D

I think that there is legislation in place where they have to stop (and are not allowed to charge) if you just text back "stop".

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Moved from AH

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭CountingCrows

SteamTrean wrote: »
    I want this new one to stop but don't want to reply

Have you considered smoke signals?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭SteamTrean

Moved from AH

With respect, this is not a consumer issue, I haven't purchased anything. This is a direct result of something that happened when out one night and I'm trying to find out if anyone else has had the same experience. It's more relevant to AH than a lot of the stuff on there.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Does the text message contain any information on how to unsubscribe (i.e. send back the word STOP)?

If it doesn't, then visit the Data Protection Commissioner website and lodge a complaint against them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

it looks like they may be using meteors free texts for their marketing which would be against the free texts rules so report the texts to meteor also, and meteor used to have a spam text number which you could forward unwanted spam to think it was 50001

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

As I said in another thread, it's probably from an online text service like Clickatel - it's sent from a server and not from an actual number so you can enter a name or a number for the Sender field but it doesn't actually originate from there. Thus, you can't e-mail STOP to these sort of numbers as it's not an automated service; that is, at least, if it's sent in that manner. However, if a valid number is entered as the sender, they will receive your reply

Advertisement