Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No buttermilk for soda bread!

Options
  • 11-12-2009 3:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭

I'm having difficulty tracking down buttermilk (living in the centre of London) to bake soda bread. I managed to find small 250ml cartons a-la cream, but the trek to that particular supermarket isn't worth the hassle. I'm just wondering is there any substitute I could use without affecting the final taste? Would souring milk with lemon be adequate? Thanks :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Yep - sour your milk with lemon.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

I never buy buttermilk.

I just add a tbsp of white vinegar (NOT available in Irish shops, must be purchased from a polish or other eastern european shop - Irish malt vinegars impart too much taste) to a litre of regular milk and voila!

I'd say the same thing with lemon juice would work. Basically you're looking for something acidic to react with the rising agent.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

I've been baking a good bit of soda bread recently and using lemon juice in the milk. 3 dessert spoons of lemon juice to 250ml of milk is what has worked best for me. You need to bump the amount of bread soda slightly too (versus using soured milk).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 hem

I use regular milk and cream of tartar

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Oh, you can use "cream of tartar" to sour the milk too. Most supermarkets here have that for sale. Wouldn't imagine it's much different in the UK.

edit: Beaten to it by a whisker :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement