Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Perlico download limit bill

Options
  • 11-12-2009 3:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭

In my last broadband bill from Perlico I was charged a fee for going around 26 GB over my download limit, 25 euros or so..

I have been with them about a year and a half and this has never happened before.

I dont have wireless so nobody else is tapping into it.

I called them up and wanted more details of how I could have gone 26 GB over. They said they can give me no more details. I asked for details of when this usage was? like a day by day usage amount.

They said that they couldn't give me any more details as they didn't have that on record as it went against privacy laws. If they can charge me they must have some usage/cost record one would think.

They told me to purchase an add on adapter to record my usage in future.

I have never gone over the limit before and have been using the broadband in the exact same way since setting it up.

So am I supposed to just accept this magic number with no evidence?

Whos to say it wasn't a mistake and couldn't they be charging everyone for over-usage and giving them the spiel they gave me when I called up.

Any suggestions/ similar experiences out there

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Contact Comreg and the Data Protection Comissioner and find out what companies can and can't do in a situation like this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

lee_ wrote: »
    In my last broadband bill from Perlico I was charged a fee for going around 26 GB over my download limit, 25 euros or so..

I have been with them about a year and a half and this has never happened before.

I dont have wireless so nobody else is tapping into it.

I called them up and wanted more details of how I could have gone 26 GB over. They said they can give me no more details. I asked for details of when this usage was? like a day by day usage amount.

They said that they couldn't give me any more details as they didn't have that on record as it went against privacy laws. If they can charge me they must have some usage/cost record one would think.

They told me to purchase an add on adapter to record my usage in future.

I have never gone over the limit before and have been using the broadband in the exact same way since setting it up.

So am I supposed to just accept this magic number with no evidence?

Whos to say it wasn't a mistake and couldn't they be charging everyone for over-usage and giving them the spiel they gave me when I called up.

Any suggestions/ similar experiences out there

Out of curiosity, OP, what do you use to monitor your usage? Could that provide a report?

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭lee_

Ive never monitored it before, tbh I dont know how and never need to in the past

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Go back and tell them that under the Data Protection Act 2003 you are entitled to full information of your account, and you want full details of the data used.

If they say no, lodge a complaint with the Data Protection Commissioner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Ive never monitored it before, tbh I dont know how and never need to in the past

So it could be that you have often exceeded their limit before and it is only now they are cracking down?

I'd do as PaulW suggests.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Paulw wrote: »
    Go back and tell them that under the Data Protection Act 2003 you are entitled to full information of your account, and you want full details of the data used.

If they say no, lodge a complaint with the Data Protection Commissioner.

You can't just make a DPA request over the phone it must be done in writing with proof of ID etc, OP phone them and ask them for details on how to do this request.

If they refuse to give you these details OR if after 40 days after sending the DPA request they do not provide the details then you can report them to the data protection commissionor

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

nipplenuts wrote: »
    So it could be that you have often exceeded their limit before and it is only now they are cracking down?

I'd do as PaulW suggests.

Afaik Perlico have always been pretty strict about usage, they provide a usage page on their website which customers can very easily view

The fact that they charge is also bvery clearly outlined on their website and T&C's.

Advertisement