Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hawk Walk Recommendations

Options
  • 11-12-2009 3:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭

Anyone have any recommendations for a good place to go for a hawk walk? It is (hopefully) a potential Christmas present and i'm hoping someone has some experience with different facilities.

Basically looking for somewhere that will offer a memorable experience and is good value for money. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭greeneyedspirit

where are you based?

I know of two places - one is the Falconry school at Ashford Castle in Cong - http://www.falconry.ie/

the other is the Burren Birds of Prey Centre in Ballyvaughan, Co. Clare - www.birdofpreycentre.com ... I do some volunteer work down there, so PM me if you need more info :D

The prices, afaik, are roundabout the same for both places.
    Location-wise, it's hard to beat Ashford, though. The grounds of the castle are stunning.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Git101

If you are in the east of the country you should give Tommy a shout at Woodlands Falconry

He is based in Co. Carlow at Rathwood which is near Tullow on the Shillelagh road.

He has a great selection of birds there and there is a beautiful section of woodlands for hawk walks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭gnolan

I'm based in Dublin but it would be part of a weekend away so location doesn't matter; from a distance point of view.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

Got my dad a gift cert from Top Gifts to fly hawks for his birthday, recently got to see the camcorder footage of him flying them, it looked brill!! Dropping the hints now for the favour to be returned!!! :D The place was in Clare so my Mam and him just made a weekend out of it and stayed in a hotel overnight, he's still talking about it now! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Risarow

Hi gnolan
    I'm not sure about the hawk walk but I've been following some interesting raptor threads in the nature & birdwatching forum, like this one and this and the chap from Woodlands Falconry certainly knows his stuff.
    He may be worth a call.
    I will be paying the centre a visit at the first possible opportunity.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15 sabbyp

Hi there, I bought my boyfriend a Halk Walk last xmas for Falconry Ireland - www.falconryofireland.com they are based near Avoca in Wicklow, it was really brilliant I'd definately recommend it. After the acutal walk they took us back and showed us their other birds, we got some amazing pictures and the guys there are really nice. Think it was 195 for a voucher for two.

Advertisement