Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alternatives to XGC for the tournaments - Ideas?

Options
  • 11-12-2009 4:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭

Hey lads! I'm sure many would agree that XGC isn't exactly an ideal environment for large groups of people because there basically is no ventilation (windows but you can't open them, smart eh? :rolleyes:) and aside from that, narrow space. I know the idea has been mentioned for a while now about changing the venue but I guess there have only been some random ideas here and there so I thought I'd start up a proper discussion about it to see where we can go from here.

Hotel Hall - Something I was considering was a hotel hall.

Pros: Loads of space so getting about should be easy. Allows us to play for as long as we'd like and there won't be any outside interferences. Maybe with the extra cash left over from the tournaments, we can consider getting a projector for the big matches? (quarters/semis/finals etc)

Cons: Need to bring in our own machines, TVs, games and controllers.

I contacted the main hotel (Clanree Hotel) in my town (Letterkenny) to ask about rates. The receptionist told me that they have 4 different capacities for the halls (15, 40, 300 and 500) so considering the best option, 40 would be the ideal one to go for. She told me that a data projector and two screens (one mounted and one portable) are included in the rental of the hall. Now for the bit about the cash. She told me that if we were to rent the hall for around 6 hours, it would be E65 (If we were to consider having it in the afternoon). For a full day (9AM to 6PM) its E100 so really, thinking about it now, those prices aren't too bad. I was thinking as well if screens are provided, we wouldn't really need to bring any TVs down as the tournament could just run on the two screens there.

So if the turnout is 20, thats E5 per person which works out at the same total cost as XGC per person, factoring in entry fee.

Anyway, that is just a venture I looked into so it might be good to consider it. If anyone else looked/going to look into different options, lets hear'em :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,005 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Apart from the location for some people, the XGC is about as ideal a place as we'll find.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Apart from the location for some people, the XGC is about as ideal a place as we'll find.

Wouldn't go that far. The heats a killer in the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

We're hardly gonna call it Chilly Ranbat, though?

Wait... Inferno + Chilly = Chili Ranbats!

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    We're hardly gonna call it Chilly Ranbat, though?

Wait... Inferno + Chilly = Chili Ranbats!

I can't believe you went there!

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

I would like to propose once more, that the venue be changed to somewhere in Clare. The advantages here are clear.

- Ennis was the information age town for the millennium. Computers. Computer games, you see where this is going!
    - Rolling countryside is nice as you all travel the 4 hour minimum trip to Clare and the 4 hours back. Much more interesting than your big city!
    - Many fine 3 star hotels where you can be overcharged and under-served. Then you can complain later. Everyone loves complaining!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

Ideal place would at least be PCs so ps3/xbox people could both use their controller of choice.

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Well the venue has 2 major issues, the heat and laggy TV's on the Xbox 360'. The heat does not bother me too much and the laggy monitors I can live with if I have to. Obviously a venue that has the all the benefits of the XGC and none of the draw backs would be better but I'm be surprised if we find anything.

I think every 3-4 months lanparty.ie is on and they host an SF IV competition with basically the same rule set as we do at the Inferno Ranbats. Basically I don't intend to host an Inferno Ranbat any month these guys are hosting an event. Assuming they are hosting an SF IV competition at the event.

Its normally a €40 euro event that caters to PC gamers primarily over 3 days but the SF IV crowd is only charge €20. We basically have as long as we like to run the tournaments without the heat issues. We also have PC's so everyone can play with their controller of preference. As well as that they have at least one projector for spectators. Granted its dearer than the current Inferno Ranbats, but they have much higher expenses with the rental of a conference room for 3 days and a huge amount of networking equipment and set up time. Granted for us SF IV players none of the networking matters but the organizers could of choose to host more PC gamers and charge more money so I think its the price they set is a fair deal.

I will also speak to the organizer of Midlans about hosting a SF IV event there but the the next Midlans probably won't happy till mid next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

I think we should be thankful for what we've got in XGC.

It doesn't look like the place makes that much money, if we werent there it would be empty....

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Ken B

Apart from the laggy monitor, XGC is fine. Still, a rabat in somewhere like Letterkenny would be a great laugh I'm sure. It would also have a 'sense of occasion' about it....I'm sure it'd be a decent night out to boot!
    Maybe as a once-off....

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭Leprekaun

The idea of the thread is just to post up ideas and suggestions. If we can set up something proper with a few hotels, it might be good if we could alternate between different venues so that the word of the community gets round more easily. I haven't really been part of the arcade scene as I'd consider myself a console gamer as my proper gaming days started with the Mega Drive or for you Americanised folk "Genesis" but my bro was and he said that there was a fair amount of interest here during the SFII days but the point is, they wouldn't be as hardcore as myself about SF to consider traveling down to Dublin for the day and back or like many SFII folks, they wouldn't have moved on to the sequels but get the word around that there is a big SF tournament locally and I'm sure a lot of those lads would consider joining in. It would definitely be like that in other parts of the country as well.

The community is definitely growing, no doubt but instead of having a total of around 20 hardcore gamers and say 10 casual gamers, wouldn't it be great if we could have 50 hardcore gamers and say 30 casual gamers? It would also be great to meet up with people who main seldom used characters like Gen, Sakura, El Fuerte, Fei Long and Rose. I mean seriously, there isn't even 1 Fei Long main among us, its an utter disgrace I tell you, A DISGRACE! Bruce Lee must be spinning in his grave now!

• Advertisement

The reason I worry about xgc is it's a single point of failure. What do we do if it goes bang tomorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭Leprekaun

Yeah, that is a good point as well. They don't seem to be making much money. Although, if you think about it, that would be more on the console side of things. Every time we go, there is a fair number of people there on the PCs so they're not exactly going downhill.

Hotels would obviously be a safer option since hotels do make ridiculous amounts of cash. I suppose another + point for XGC is that they know the deal (we all go, have a gaming session, they return deposits for all the folks who did and then I settle the cost with them) but ofcourse, there won't be a deposit issue with a hotel since the money involved would be just the rental of the hall.

Honestly, I really think we should consider this. I much prefer going to a good wide open conference hall for gaming then a tight near-suffocation place like XGC.

@Owwmykneecap: Lets not get into the "Ah, they're not making much money so I think its good that we go to bring business" attitude. I'm all for helping boosting the economy but it shouldn't be done at our expense. After all, that is why its defined as a business. We bring them in good business, they listen in to our ideas. In fairness to them, I haven't suggested the idea of them considering better ventilation so they wouldn't know that we're bothered by it but apart from that, they should at least start offering discounts because its become a regular thing now so we at least deserve that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭Ramza

I think the XGC is grand, in terms of ease. I mean most of the guys who attend are locals anyway, and I think myself and a few others make the commute (it isn't even that far, for me anyway) Obviously I'm aware that the lads in the north come down but isn't that only on big tournies etc? I mean changing the venue would probably get mixed reactions, I don't think anyone would really want to(Obviously excluding the NI scene). Unless it's in Dublin I don't think there will be much interest tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

Well obviously changing the venue would just mean somewhere else in dublin, we're not talking crazy talk here :pac:

its a good point about having no back up to XGC, is there no other places in town that have consoles set up? Also if there was a place that had consoles and decent gaming pc's in the same room that would be an advantage over XGC also.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Problems with XGC as I see it:

1. Bad monitors
    2. Cramped
    3. Hot
    4. Console dependence for controllers
    5. Some people main Sagat

Now, to resolve the first 4 we could organise a simple LAN. We would only have to pay for the space and only half of us would have to bring PC's (for everyone to be playing at the same time) We could bring less tbh as there is usually a handfull of people standing around anyway. I'd say a ratio of 3:1 of people to PC's would be fine.

Given a tournament with a ~24 people, we'd only need 8 PC's. No internet would be required.

For issue number 5, as we'll be playing on the PC we can just reskin Sagat in a Pink tutu and replace his sound files with an audio clip from Little Britain that says "I'm the only Gay in the village"

Resolving issue number 5 is reason enough to move to a LAN for the Ranbats :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

I think the xgc is grand, its handy. Getting a hotel is a lot more hassle and who would foot the bill if you dont get a big enough turnout?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

What bush said. We have a good thing going. Let's not ruin it. If we encounter serious problems with XGC than it would make sense to look for alternatives.....but I think most people are pretty happy with it.
    Leprekaun wrote: »
    It would also be great to meet up with people who main seldom used characters like Gen, Sakura, El Fuerte, Fei Long and Rose. I mean seriously, there isn't even 1 Fei Long main among us, its an utter disgrace I tell you, A DISGRACE! Bruce Lee must be spinning in his grave now!

This is what happens when you don't show up to casuals or tourneys :p. We have several people maining Sakura, and Liquid Swords mains Fei Long. Chopper mained Rose once upon a time too I think. And she is Azza's third character.

Regarding character diversity, we are pretty much a great group. Most communities involve tons or Ryu's and Sagat's where as we only have a couple of each and with the exception of Gen and Dan, every other character has been represented at least once at a serious tourney.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

I came across a decent gen online. He asked me about tournaments and i told him about the xgc and here but i dont think he ever looked into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭ayjayirl

D4RK ONION wrote: »
    I would like to propose once more, that the venue be changed to somewhere in Clare. The advantages here are clear.

- Ennis was the information age town for the millennium. Computers. Computer games, you see where this is going!
    - Rolling countryside is nice as you all travel the 4 hour minimum trip to Clare and the 4 hours back. Much more interesting than your big city!
    - Many fine 3 star hotels where you can be overcharged and under-served. Then you can complain later. Everyone loves complaining!

In all fairness, we should keep it in Ireland...... =p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭ayjayirl

If you guys are serious about trying to grow this then there is one fact that is present and will take care of all the concerns = Financing the project. If this is thought our properly, then the other concerns about venue etc become just a cost to consider. I have a few thoughts I'd like to share with the group on this....

1) Occasionally moving tourneys outside Dublin is the only real way of expanding the group of participants as this will enable people who wouldn;t travel to get the experience and get 'hooked' on it. Don't forget the purpose would be to attract people from the location rather than thinking it hinders all of us around the area of Dublin from going.

2) If we put together a proper plan for running official tournaments and structured it such that there are incentive's for sponsorship then I think that would be the best way to go. The Games Industry is not experiencing the downturn like other industries and companies like Game might be interested in working with a group who would provide them with a platform for advertising and for revenue generation. Or they might be interested in heling cover costs or provide the prizes/supply the necessary hardware. (I just use game as an example - there are others). This could require a level of commitment from a core group to run something like this - I don't know what level of invovlment people are really looking for.

3) A platform such as this would mean that you could, for example, run an all Ireland competition and host tournaments in the major cities around Ireland. Using facebook, self promotion and free advertising (say through boards????), you could generate sub groups in each of the cities. From that you could grow to finals that rotate to each citiy every cycle. This is the only real way to generate interest around the country cause lets face it, although there is a market for it, it only really exists as a big enough entity when you count the whole country.

These are just thoughts on how it could best be looked at...... Feel free to disagree......

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,387 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

At the moment XGC is just really handy. There's no setting up of machines or habing to drag them to venues and the biggest group of players is from dublin with a few hardcore guys from the country able to make it down because, well there's always public transport to Dublin. We're actually pretty lucky that we have it since I could imagine the fighting game community being much smaller without somewhere like it. If we are going to host it somewhere else it's either got to be somewhere with PCs or with the a similar amount of console machines and we would be hard pushed to find somewhere like that. Otherwise it's going to take a hell of a lot more effort organising the meet ups due to the logisitics of hauling a **** load of hardware and setting it all up. I can imagine them being a lot less frequent as a result. Anyway until we find somewhere better than XGC or a group of people don't mind taking on all the extra effort of organising it then I think we are lucky to have a place like XGC.

Leprekaun wrote: »

@Owwmykneecap: Lets not get into the "Ah, they're not making much money so I think its good that we go to bring business" attitude. I'm all for helping boosting the economy but it shouldn't be done at our expense. After all, that is why its defined as a business. We bring them in good business, they listen in to our ideas. In fairness to them, I haven't suggested the idea of them considering better ventilation so they wouldn't know that we're bothered by it but apart from that, they should at least start offering discounts because its become a regular thing now so we at least deserve that.

I never said that. I'm saying the place is pretty decent and that it doesn't look like it makes much money. the conclusions you brought up are your own.

I thought the obvious point I was making was about how long the games centre would last. If I ran the place i'd fill it with PCs and have johnny foreigner use them to skype His ma in Buenos Ares.

I think the idea of doing something outside the XGC is good, I've been thinking about it for a while and the Obvious thing is it needs to be both big and special.

As for the region Dublin unfortunately has the player base, and the accessibility (and also the higher prices...) But that doesn't mean outside of dublin is impossible. Just that it would have to be somewhere big enough to have decent transport to.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

The price is a good thing too. Don't know about anyone else, but I'm trilled to get 4-5 hours of good gaming for a fiver. It's great value.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

i went to the XGC today. it was empty.
    heart broken </3

That's a fair point, it's incredible value.
    I spoke to the guy there and he said it is already kind of discounted, with two people on a console and people not renting controllers etc.

If something was to be done outside it, it would have to much more than a casual.

Edit: I'm not trying to be negative, i do think expending horizons can be a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

If people were looking into a Dublin hotel for a tournament, seems like the Central Hotel (Exchequer St., just across from Sub City) would be worth checking out. They already happily rent out conference rooms for other nerdy events (comics events etc.) at what are as far as I know decent prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭DarkTalant

Placebo wrote: »
    heart broken </3
    No way!:eek:
    I was going to go but didn't seeing as I thought everyone would be up north!!! I had a free lift to dublin and all!!!:mad:

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

ayjayirl wrote: »
    In all fairness, we should keep it in Ireland...... =p
    Everybody knows that Clare is the true fighting game capital of the country. I mean, 100% of Clare players at the last ranbat placed in the top ten.

FACT

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

We are lucky to get XGC alright , I agree with retro and co.

The only 'real' problem I can see, is that we have no solid alternative as a back up to XGC.

I think we all agree, that XGC is far better then somewhere where we have to bring and set up our own PC's/consoles. So I'm not suggesting a lan party style thing as an alternative at all.

What I and I think others are wondering, is if there is any other place thats like XGC, with consoles set up already, or PC's etc where we could host a tourney if need be, in Dublin or indeed the whole country (ROI).

As for what ayjay was saying regarding setting up tourneys in other...less civilized areas out side dublin (:p) I'd say the best bet it to piggy back on other events rather then just set up our own.

Like midlans or galway lan etc etc. I really enjoyed the lan party one, and look forward to the next one.

• Advertisement

Placebo wrote: »
    heart broken </3

Sorry dude, we were representing in the north. Ironic when you consider where this threads going.
    D4RK ONION wrote: »
    Everybody knows that Clare is the true fighting game capital of the country. I mean, 100% of Clare players at the last ranbat placed in the top ten.

FACT

Teehee.

Mr Honda main, would you like to fight for the right to have it in Clare or Dublin? :P
    ayjayirl wrote: »
    If you guys are serious about trying to grow this then there is one fact that is present and will take care of all the concerns = Financing the project. If this is thought our properly, then the other concerns about venue etc become just a cost to consider. I have a few thoughts I'd like to share with the group on this....

1) Occasionally moving tourneys outside Dublin is the only real way of expanding the group of participants as this will enable people who wouldn;t travel to get the experience and get 'hooked' on it. Don't forget the purpose would be to attract people from the location rather than thinking it hinders all of us around the area of Dublin from going.

2) If we put together a proper plan for running official tournaments and structured it such that there are incentive's for sponsorship then I think that would be the best way to go. The Games Industry is not experiencing the downturn like other industries and companies like Game might be interested in working with a group who would provide them with a platform for advertising and for revenue generation. Or they might be interested in heling cover costs or provide the prizes/supply the necessary hardware. (I just use game as an example - there are others). This could require a level of commitment from a core group to run something like this - I don't know what level of invovlment people are really looking for.

3) A platform such as this would mean that you could, for example, run an all Ireland competition and host tournaments in the major cities around Ireland. Using facebook, self promotion and free advertising (say through boards????), you could generate sub groups in each of the cities. From that you could grow to finals that rotate to each citiy every cycle. This is the only real way to generate interest around the country cause lets face it, although there is a market for it, it only really exists as a big enough entity when you count the whole country.

These are just thoughts on how it could best be looked at...... Feel free to disagree......

I disagree.

Mainly because it's you.

No actually I agree totally. If we could keep the ranbats going regularly but could arrange "special events" outside of Dublin... we could probably grow the scene.

Advertisement