Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alternatives to XGC for the tournaments - Ideas?

Options
13»

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Gamesnash.ie: Pat

Cunny-Funt wrote: »

Seriously though thanks for posting. You say small tourney, what numbers you thinking of when you say small? Interestingly enough I bought my copy of SF4 from you guys :p got it a day early too :D

Thanks for choosing us for SF4 - appreciate it. :)

Well the private party room has 5 consoles in it and we'd envisage a capacity of 15 ish there. Across the hall in the main area there is another 5 consoles again with capacity for probably another 15 people. So we could host a tourny with 30 players / spectators at a time by using the entire place or have a smaller one with 10-15 persons in the private area. Until we get all the consoles and TV's etc in place it's difficult to say exactly how much capacity we actually have. :)

D4RK ONION wrote: »
    I like the part about setting up in places that aren't near the pale. That'd be pretty cool. Thanks for posting here, it sounds like a pretty sweet set up ye have there.

We see the most demand for what we're doing coming from outside of Dublin itself in the larger county towns. If you take a place like Dunboyne it has a large population with very little to do in the town itself. It has a college and two large schools so it's an ideal spot for us to trial it.

Tell me, will there be Rock Band instruments?
    Will ye be holding your own tournies?

Yep - there will be a selection of peripherals, including a full Rock Band, DJ Hero etc For the adventurous we will also have Tony Hawks Ride. ;) We will be hosting regular tournaments although again they may not be as big as what you're used to. That said Microsoft are keen on sponsoring competitions and prizes etc so we should have an attractive setup here too.

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

That's awesome about both the Peripherals and the location set up. I'll be watching ye closely :)
    Thanks for choosing us for SF4 - appreciate it. :)

Well the private party room has 5 consoles in it and we'd envisage a capacity of 15 ish there. Across the hall in the main area there is another 5 consoles again with capacity for probably another 15 people. So we could host a tourny with 30 players / spectators at a time by using the entire place or have a smaller one with 10-15 persons in the private area. Until we get all the consoles and TV's etc in place it's difficult to say exactly how much capacity we actually have. :)
    Our tournaments (read: the one I've been to :o) don't go much over 30 to be honest, so that sound pretty perfect, apart from the opening hours.

That's awesome about both the Peripherals and the location set up. I'll be watching ye closely :)

Our tournaments (read: the one I've been to :o) don't go much over 30 to be honest, so that sound pretty perfect, apart from the opening hours.

The opening hours is something we could look at for future venues. The location in Dunboyne is under an apartment complex and to be fair to our neighbours especially those immediately above us we would not be in a position to open any kind of unsociable hours ( unsociable of course being defined by the neighbours :D )

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

Cheers for the info Pat, much appreciated by all of us I think. Nowe we just have to wheedle getting sponsored tournaments out of you guys... :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭Leprekaun

Pretty impressive setup you got there Pat. Fair play to you lads for all the effort :). It sounds pretty good considering your approach.

Personally, I wouldn't mind paying more if the actual place itself is well ventilated and there is a reasonable amount of space to move around. Something I wanted to know though, you mentioned about Microsoft getting involved with sponsorships, would there be something along the same lines with Sony though?

Leprekaun wrote: »
    Pretty impressive setup you got there Pat. Fair play to you lads for all the effort :). It sounds pretty good considering your approach.

Personally, I wouldn't mind paying more if the actual place itself is well ventilated and there is a reasonable amount of space to move around. Something I wanted to know though, you mentioned about Microsoft getting involved with sponsorships, would there be something along the same lines with Sony though?

We're certainly open to it and have been in touch with Sony too. Microsoft were very enthusiastic when approached and were in a position and willing to commit to supporting the venue immediately. We're confident of sorting something out with Sony after Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Our last 3 inferno ranbats have been about 30 people so it sounds like its a good fit. At the moment at XGC, we tend to have casuals every saturday and tourneys every 4-6 weeks. If we supply regular business, would it be possible to sort out some sort of deal? :D

Kirby wrote: »
    Our last 3 inferno ranbats have been about 30 people so it sounds like its a good fit. At the moment at XGC, we tend to have casuals every saturday and tourneys every 4-6 weeks. If we supply regular business, would it be possible to sort out some sort of deal? :D

Absolutely :) as I said in one of the earlier posts we might not be 100% suitable for yous but I think what we will be offering in terms of the comfort and space may well make up for it. What I'd suggest is we have a few of you over shortly after we're up and running to see what you think and what can be done for you. After that we can see how we're fixed for a regular gathering spot.

Oh, oh, can I come?! :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭FoamyMushroom

Absolutely :) as I said in one of the earlier posts we might not be 100% suitable for yous but I think what we will be offering in terms of the comfort and space may well make up for it. What I'd suggest is we have a few of you over shortly after we're up and running to see what you think and what can be done for you. After that we can see how we're fixed for a regular gathering spot.

Im well up for that!

Im well up for that!

Form an orderly queue ! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Definately going to go to a day there. Will try to organise a day in Jan maybe?

Jim wrote: »
    Definately going to go to a day there. Will try to organise a day in Jan maybe?

Sounds good to me !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

Unfortunately, people from clare are not allowed to come. But we'll let you know how it goes ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

well everyone from Clare is banned cept these guys :

I don't live far from S.H.A.N.N.O.N... It's a hole, but with an airport, which makes it less hole-like than the rest of Clare.

And I'm going to go, banned or otherwise!

Just to let you know we opened the venue in Dunboyne today, we're open tomorrow and thursday from 12-6 and it's free to play if anyone is local and wanted to come and check it out.

If you want to sort out amongst yourselves a date to come in as a group in January as we discussed and let me know I can arrange to book it out for you.

Hope to see you all soon :)

There's a few photos in the thread in my signature if you want to get a feeling for what's going on .....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Wikipedia says:
    Dunboyne is served by several Dublin Bus routes including the 70, 70X, 70N and 270

This true? Strangely was the only place I could find info...

🤪

• Advertisement

Sabre0001 wrote: »
    Wikipedia says:
    Dunboyne is served by several Dublin Bus routes including the 70, 70X, 70N and 270

This true? Strangely was the only place I could find info...

It is true :D

There's links to Dublin bus timetables in our directions page here

Advertisement