Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Waste vents terminating in roof space.

• 11-12-2009 4:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 899 ✭✭✭

Folks,

I have noticed on my new build that the waste vents are terminating in the roof space. Is this good practice ?

I have not had the architect in to do the final snag yet... just curious to know peoples thoughts on this one...

For my own part I don't like it..

P.

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,942 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

this is against building regulations.

The vent stack must discharge to the open air, as it cannot discharge within 3 m of any opening into the building.... ergo it cannot discharge within the building.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,544 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Are you sure that they are not just there waiting to be vented through the roof?
    A vent pipe can terminate internally if its only purpose is to allow air into the system and is fitted with suitable valve. This is common on commercial builds

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 899 ✭✭✭bauderline

thanks folks for the responses... I appreciate it !

Speaking to the builder today and he said that he made the plumber put them in to stop gurgling in the sinks when the lavatory is flushed, moreover they only let air in becuase they are fitted with a "dogger" valve...

... bit of a dodgy name that.... ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,544 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Durco valve maybe. Not sure of the spelling myself but these are valves that allow air into the system but would not allow smells etc out.

Advertisement