Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

They got my work number through an email

Options
  • 11-12-2009 4:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭

I just got a call at work from a lady,

she was speaking with a non-irish accent, and pretending to be from a finance company

She said that I was due money back from "the treasury".

I have no dealings with this company so was suspicious from the start.

She wanted to confirm my mobile number.

I won't and she gave me a round about story once again about how I due money back, and confirm my mobile number.

I said no and hung up, and said I'd ring her back but she won't give me her number.

I rang the company, getting the number from the web and it turns out there is no woman working in there office.

I explained to the man on the phone what just happened.
    He was worried and thankful I rang.

I assume they got my name and comapny number from an email.

So look out.
    ki

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

It may sound blunt, but the only & best way to deal with these callers is to say in a non polite way "Eff off" and put the phone down.

If you strike any form of conversation you will get called again with some other story / scam.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

mcaul wrote: »
    If you strike any form of conversation you will get called again with some other story / scam.

Strike up a conversation and waste their time and money (for the call), lead them on and then be as abusive as you can to them :)

Its fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Cabaal wrote: »
    Strike up a conversation and waste their time and money (for the call), lead them on and then be as abusive as you can to them :)

Its fun!

You can even make a game of it by seeing how long you can keep them on the line :)

Having to let the dog/cat in or out and vanish for 5 min, someone at the door 10 min, dinner burning in oven etc.

45 min is my personal best with Eircom telesales muppet :)

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I use these cold calls as a form of therapy. I get all my annoyance out on them, because you can usually say what you like, as long as you stay on the line and semi interested. I've given some of those guys awful guff.

But my favourite line to them was delivered by my hubby, a mechanic. Telesales guy was from a search engine company. Hubby asked what cc the engine was and did he want to book it in for a service. :)

Advertisement