Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Volunteering with the elderly

• 11-12-2009 4:30pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭

It is a fact of life that as we get older there is a greater likelihood of needing other people to lend a helping hand. Maintaining a connection with people can become more difficult in later life. It is a big area of volunteering where perhaps it was the sole responsiblity of immediate family. There is a need to fill large gaps where some elderly people have become isolated and lonely.
    friendsoftheelderly.ie
    Anyone who would like to add something, please do.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 468 ✭✭snowy2008

Hi

I was wondering if someone could help, im living in the dublin 6 area and wondered if anyone knew of anyone that was elderly and on their own that might need some help. I always have food left over in the evenings which could easily feed someone who might need it. I just saw alot of ads asking people to help out so if anyone knows anyone that needs a bit of home cooking please let me know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 muinteoirTomas

I volunteered with friends of the elderly in France (Les Petits Freres des Pauvres) 2 years ago and am currently looking into going back again this summer (assuming I go brush up on my french since leaving college!) and I can't praise their work highly enough.

As said here, we are all on the one road when it comes to aging - it really is a wonderful thing that someone you don't even know finds time to have a chat and make you feel important. I'd like to think that someone will do the same for me when my time comes (D.V.)

Please check in with elderly neighbours/relatives over the next few days - big freeze is effecting them more than you can know!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭star gazer

Alone volunteer visitors, drivers and gardeners
    Carelocal volunteers visit older people.
    Age Action run various programs

Senior Helpline older people volunteering to help older people.

Alzheimer Society volunteer with a local branch.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭star gazer

Age and Opportunity
    Cultural Companions is a unique initiative developed by Age & Opportunity, which aims to provide increased opportunities for older people to engage with the artistic and cultural life of Ireland.

By organising local networks of Cultural Companions (volunteers), to accompany older people to various arts and cultural events, Age & Opportunity hope to facilitate a more vibrant social scene for people who may be lonely or socially isolated or who simply wish to broaden their horizons, meet new like minded people and get out more.
    Sounds like a good way to help enhance the lives of older people.

Advertisement