Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ 1 Issue - NTL Analogue

• 11-12-2009 4:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭

Hey,

RTÉ 1 is coming in with terrible/hardly any reception on my analogue NTL signal. All the others channels are fine. This is the case for both TVs in the house, and has been since yesterday (Thursday) evening. I tried tuning RTÉ 1 in again but I can't find it on any channel-tuning search.

Is anyone else having the same problem?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stokolan

Just checked here. Dont use analogue myself but it looks ok here. I'm in the ferrybank area.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭DeiseX

Stokolan wrote: »
    Just checked here. Dont use analogue myself but it looks ok here. I'm in the ferrybank area.

Living over here too; haven't a clue what's up with it. It's mad that it's only one channel that has gone nuts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Whats Analogue???? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭decies

Saw in a house near johns hill,very bad analogue on rte 1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

Same here I was on to NTL and the problem is on their side and they are fixing it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 711 ✭✭✭snuggles09

mine has all fuzziness in the sound..been like that the last couple of days but i thought it was the telly being so old that was causing the problem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Typhoon.

folks househasthe same problem....NTL told the folks that some wire was cut, their resolving the issue :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 869 ✭✭✭honeybadger

ziedth wrote: »
    Whats Analogue???? :pac:
    its the way you receive the channels thru the cable without the use of a digi box i think,stoneage defination:),,,its the same here rte1 is very fuzzy barely watchable and bbc2 is gone aswell the last couple of days

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Joe Gt

have the same issues , all the channels are having problems

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭iseegirls

The sound on TV3 is really bad for me for the last 2 days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Antenna

The above RTE1 (and BBC2) issue on NTL analogue due to cable network suffering from interference from test transmissions for new RTE network Digital terrestrial TV (DTT) transmitter located at Rathfadden/Gallows Hill in the highest part of Waterford city

see all of this thread:

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055767307

Is it still on today (or been switched off?)
    iseegirls wrote: »
    The sound on TV3 is really bad for me for the last 2 days.

Is that on cable or with an aerial?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Odats

Had the same problem. RTE1 and BBC2 both coming in really bad. Went into manual tuning on the TV to see if they had moved frequency and got perfect reception on another frequency for both channels. think it was on UHF frequency.

Antenna wrote: »
    Is that on cable or with an aerial?

It's on cable. Gone really bad today - the screen was going on and off earlier around 1pm today but it's still the same now - that's apprentice ruined anyway :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭baronflyguy

I wonder if it is a conspiracy to wow people off Analogue because someone was telling me before that UPC dont want people on Cable Analogue anymore and want to push everyone onto Digital, then when the Analogue signal is freed up they could use it for something else - maybe faster broadband. I dont know how true that is or not, i'm not into this technology.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

I've seen some terrible analogue signals all over Waterford and might be able to shed some light on the problem.

The analogue and digital NTL signals go down the same cable. Each cable can carry a certain amout of data. The analogue signal takes up much more space, up to about 70% of the maximum, than the digital signal, which is compressed. So the digital signal may need to be compressed more and more to get all it's data to fit on the cable. This could mean that the digitial signal is not at optimum quality. If you reduce the signal quality (and at the same time size) of the analogue signal, a less compressed digital signal can fit on the same cable and its quality will increase.

With phone and broadband also using the same cable I'd say NTL are reducing the analogue signal quality bit by bit as more people are using the digital. If analogue was completely removed you would probably see a higher quality digital service, possible more HD channels, faster response and maybe faster broadband.

Just my two cents but may be close to the truth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Typhoon.

sound on TV3 is very bad for me too.. and sound keeps cutting out for a split sec on E4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,191 ✭✭✭kensutz

TV3 sound quality was poor here too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭larchielads

I wonder if it is a conspiracy to wow people off Analogue because someone was telling me before that UPC dont want people on Cable Analogue anymore and want to push everyone onto Digital, then when the Analogue signal is freed up they could use it for something else - maybe faster broadband. I dont know how true that is or not, i'm not into this technology.

saw on a tv show a couple of yrs back that in the uk all the analogue is being freed up so that they can use it to watch tv on your mobile phones instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 711 ✭✭✭snuggles09

kensutz wrote: »
    TV3 sound quality was poor here too.

its driving me mad the last week and all i watch erally is TV3 when i'm in the kitchen and himself has the "proper" TV taken over with his ps3..i have to watch everything upstairs now instead..i tried re tuning the TV yesterday but the sound on TV3 has gotten so bad it's barely audible at this stage

TV3 sound seems to be ok for me now (for the time being)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Rte 1 on ntl is still poor compared to other channels, people pay enough for the anologue service and should not be gething sub standard quality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭baronflyguy

Has Chorus ntl any announcement acknowledging the problem and when they expect to resolve the issue?
    I can't find any official fault announcement on the web about this.

Advertisement