Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lots of Coriander!

Options
  • 11-12-2009 4:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭

Hey guys, I bought some fresh coriander from the green grocer's yesterday. It only came in rather large plastic containers, so I got a lot. I only ended up using about 1/4 of it in the chili I made, and even retaining a bit for garnish on leftovers, a lot of it is going to go to waste.

With this much leftover parsley I would make tabouleh, but I don't think this would be very nice with coriander. So what else can I make to use (at least most of) it up? I'd say chopped I'd get about a cup's worth, currently around 3 cups.

Was considering making a cajun jambalaya but we have so much chili and no freezer....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭lima

Make some Salsa, it's yum!

I use tomato, onions, coriander, garlic, olive oil and a bit of salt

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

was thinking maybe salsa - made some recently and it was nice but I'm having trouble locating nice tomatoes at this time of year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Get a load of tortilla wraps, fry up some chicken with the coriander, squeeze in a few dashes of lime, throw in a few diced chillis and a little garlic.

Serve up with salad, wraps and a few friends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭glaston

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

..ps, the would be grand also with lamb, coriander goes very well with lamb. Prawns also, not so good for the wraps however. Could have the prawns, coriander, lime & chilli on in like an asian noodle / green salad thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

I think I'll make a thai prawn curry with noodles....

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Xiney wrote: »
    With this much leftover parsley I would make tabouleh, but I don't think this would be very nice with coriander.
    Straingly, I always use coriander for tabouleh...and never parsely and mint (which are the traditionals)
    So what else can I make to use (at least most of) it up? I'd say chopped I'd get about a cup's worth, currently around 3 cups.
    Mix it into some oil, maybe with some crushed garlic, and then use it as flavoured oil. It'll discolour (depending on the oil you use), but still taste fine.

Alternately, make a coriander sort-of-pesto out of it (complete with pine nuts, and a mix of parmesan and pecorino).

Or carrot-and-coriander soup? I know its more traditionally done with coriander seeds, but I've done it with leaf and it works fine too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Make a coriander pesto-type-stuff, use soaked chickpeas instead of pine nuts and then a good fruity olive oil and a good ammount of lemon juice (3 parts oil to 1 part lemon juice) works well with most asian foods, white fish, as a salad dressing and anywhere you fancy a bit of coriander, keeps for ages too.

edit: Bonkey beat me to it...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Might have beaten you too it, but I'm intrigued by your idea of using chickpeas.

Must try that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

bonkey wrote: »
    Might have beaten you too it, but I'm intrigued by your idea of using chickpeas.

Must try that.

So much cheaper than pine nuts and a nice flavour while retaining a similar texture.

I forgot to say, a clove or two of garlic (depending on your taste) works great too, I even sometimes lob in the juice from root ginger* if I want it exceptionally asian and replace the lemon juice with lime juice from time to time.

* (mirco plain lots of the ginger into some muslin and then sprinkle some salt on it and leave it sitting in a sieve sitting in a bowl for an hour or so, letting the water drip into the bowl, and then squeeze the last of the "juice" out)

• Advertisement
Advertisement