Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Parking System

• 11-12-2009 4:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭

Just got this in e-mail
    IMPORTANT NOTICE-PLEASE READ
    10th December, 2009

Dear IT Carlow Student,

Following agreement with the IT Carlow Students Union regarding changes in the Institutes car parking facilities, I am writing to inform you of how NCPS intends to operate the virtual permit system and what we require from the students of IT Carlow to make this work.

Students who drive to the Institute will be required to register their details with NCPS to obtain a virtual permit. You will be required to scan your Student ID Card and Vehicle Licensing Certificate or Insurance Certificate; this will be facilitated via our website – simply go to http://www.ncps.ie/ and click on the obtain permits link. Permits cost €10 each and are valid until the 1st September 2010.

All vehicle registrations will be electronically scanned by our mobile patrol operatives from the 11th January 2010.

We would like to remind all users of the car park that:-
    • The Parking controls are there to assist not hinder safe parking practices.
    • Any car parked in the Institute must be registered via the NCPS website.
    • Please also observe the regulations referring to issues such as parking on footpaths, in disabled bays or on yellow lines etc.
    • Please note any information given to aid in the distribution of these virtual permits will be stored securely and will only be used for the sole purpose of the management of the Institutes car parks and under no circumstances will be passed to any third parties for any other purpose.

NCPS can be contacted on 0818 555 000 if you have any questions.

Thank you for your attention and co-operation and we wish you the very best for the year ahead.

Yours sincerely,

I wonder if this will guarantee me a parking spot, when i arrive from Wexford...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,027 ✭✭✭duffman13

€10 seems fair however will this guarentee me parking for the year or merely serve as another profit increasing tool for NCPS. I have no issue with paying a fee however the fee is a waste if you cant promise people a parking spot everyday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭deaglan169

i dont mind paying the €10 at all but there is no way im scanning my insurance or registration cert and sending it over a non secure website there is no need for ncps to have this information check there website the other colleges they manage eg dundalk i.t dont require this info only reg number/make/model/color etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭laoishibee

Its bull****!
    what if you buy another car during the year?
    Probably have to pay another tenner,
    your still not guarenteed a parking space!
    oh and the whole thing with ppl parking in the car park when they only live across the road? they should be shot the lazy ****ers, i dont care if its raining! your still gonna get wet!!!! :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭johnnybmac

Yeah that really pisses me off too. Drove up from wexford on wednesday at about 11 o clock. a guy drives out of southern gardens, into the college, and in to the only empty space i could see. I had to park on the estate on the green road D:<

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭RealistSpy

To be honest 10euro wont kill anyone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Dboy85

Would you buy something that you cant use when you need it? Its the same story here. You'll be paying for a space and the majority of the time its full.

The Students Union should be shot in the face for going along with it! Just another example of how useless the Students Union are! All they're focused on is organising parties. Just a pack of sterotypical blondes:rolleyes:

*rant over

I think your being a bit unfair on the students union i contacted them last week and already they have sent an email notifying everyone not to sign up for now.

The issue with parking now is there is a large number of people parking in the college who arent students there. I do think the student union is much better this year than in previous years at dealjng with student issues, parkin has been a joke for years and with the extension of the barrow center we will be down another 100 odd spots.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭beautyqueen

does anyone kno if this applies to the side of the college where the tech is. im doin plc and usually park in the tech yard but sometimes park over to the right at the back, where ppl used to park down the middle of the rows.and what about the car park up the back?

duffman13 wrote: »
    I think your being a bit unfair on the students union

The one & only reason they changed their mind is because someone highlighted the fact that its outrageous!

Dboy85 wrote: »
    The one & only reason they changed their mind is because someone highlighted the fact that its outrageous!

Bit dramatic, its hardly outrageous. €10 if i was garuanteed parking for the year no problem, from what ive heard the IT reckoned around 75 spots a day would be freed up from this initiative, however they still cant gaurentee parking. It was an idea and with some tweaking i can still see it being introduced, all you have to do is look at various other colleges around and similiar systems operate.

These systems dont operate for the benefit of the IT/college, it is supposed to be for the benefit of students, there are a large number of people who are parkin in the college and then catchin a bus to dublin/waterford. Now thats outrageous

• Advertisement

Yeah your right its a deadly idea

any update on this student union were meant to email about it this week but i havent got anything is it going ahead on the 18th:confused:

There is a student Union meeting on Monday so don't worry just keep an eye on your emails after 4PM. Everything thing will be sorted out well I hope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 kty1

Got a new email today guys. Its gone down to €5 now and new deadline is the 25th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 901 ✭✭✭DrZeuss

Still do not like the idea of having to give details of Vehicle Licensing Cert or Insurance Cert to NCPS when no other college they deal with has to do it.

DrZeuss wrote: »
    Still do not like the idea of having to give details of Vehicle Licensing Cert or Insurance Cert to NCPS when no other college they deal with has to do it.

im not pushed on it either but i found out the reason we have to is because we have the tech on site also, they dont want say someone without a car signing up their mate who is doing a plc in the tech, hence wanting the insurance or registration cert to prove the car is yours

is this going ahead as planned for next monday:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 901 ✭✭✭DrZeuss

deaglan169 wrote: »
    is this going ahead as planned for next monday:confused:
    As far as know it is deaglan, think a letter is being sent out to everyone, don't quote me on that thou.
    Also I think they are trying to get NCPS to come into the college to enter the details onto their system so as to avoid having to scan and upload the documents, they will just verify the details by looking at the forms.
    But for the moment just wait till SU send out confirmation.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭YoungPayters

i have a serious feeling that southern gardens is gonna be mobbed with cars this monday. oh well, glad im within walking distance (and dont actually have a car either)

Email just in...

Car Park Update

There has been many delays with the car parking system due to meetings between the Students' Union and College management. I'd like to apologise for emailing so often about it and each time with a different starting date.

This is email is to advise students not to register their details on the NCPS website until further notice from me or an email from Jackie Brennan in the Estates Department. We had a Class Rep meeting on Monday (Jan 18th)with a turnout of 60 Reps and the College Director Ruaidhri Neavyn and the Estates Manager. I hope your class rep gave you an update as to what went on in this meeting. They are changing some items to do with the student permit. This will take a week to two weeks to implement and change. They are going back to the company to change various items that both the Students' Union and Class reps brought to their attention.

For the minority of students who went ahead with registering and paid the €10 i will investigate what can be done about this, but your refund of €5 is looking unlikely. To make sure no other students pay the €10 instead of the €5 i would kindly ask you to wait until further notice from me over the next two weeks. The system won't be in operation this coming Monday, but the clamping that has been happening since September '09 will still be in operation for any cars that are parked illegally.

Thank you for reading this and for your patience and co-operation. If you need to ask any more questions please do not hestitate to call down to Gary, Emma and I as we are happy to help.

Kind Regards,

Kate

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

will ye please stop parking in southern gardens especially those of you that park up on the grass turning it into mud?

To be honest if the college management were smart enough they would build a multi-storey carpark to provide at least 1 space for every 1.5 students/staff.

if they have no funds to do that rent the car park site to a parking company such as Q-Park or NCPS and allow them to fund the construction of the multi-storey carpark building.

Hi Nothingbetter2d,

If you ever attend the meeting in the college regarding the parking system then you would know the college is doing everything they can. You can donate to the college if you have the amount of money a multi carpark with cost.

If you have a better Idea that no one has thought of please contact the Student Union. Regarding people parking in Southern Gardens contact the Student Union boards.ie is not the right place to complain to!

GL

has anyone got a text back from ncps yet ive got nothing or any of my mates who have signed up online:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 23 CGolf

Well lads,

We've been in contact with the college management about the infringement of our Data Protection rights by being forced to give this information and the impression we are getting is that it is tough. So please everyone log onto https://www.dataprotection.ie/ViewDoc.asp?fn=/documents/complaint/default.asp&CatID=51&m=p and make a complaint to the Data Protection Commissioner stating the issues here and that we have to provide excessive information, which is not required for the purpose i.e. to park cars. We have made initial contact with the Data Protection Commissioner also, and they are of the impression that the reasons we have been given by the college are not good enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

deaglan169 wrote: »
    has anyone got a text back from ncps yet ive got nothing or any of my mates who have signed up online:confused:

i applied yesterday and still haven't got the text

I got my text from them, it took about a day and a half to get it though...

i honestly dont think ncps have any kind of video van to read the number plates and there is no way it would work with the cars parked behind barrow centre there all over the place i think its more a scare tactic in the hope those attending the tech and others parking here then taking bus to dublin etc will be put off only time will tell if a non registered car will get clamped park legally in a space

Just got a text saying i have to upload a pic of my full insurance cert. I uploaded a pic of the insurance tag that you put in the car.
    Just a fyi incase anyone thinks of doing the same

Will you guys just gymn the system a chance!

• Advertisement

RealistSpy wrote: »
    Will you guys just gymn the system a chance!

I think we are

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81 ✭✭patdshaker

its useless ffs

Advertisement