Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Social Welfare cut for 24 & under, what constitutes a course?

Options
  • 11-12-2009 4:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭

Im 22 nearly 23 & I am devastated that the budget got cut up to the age of 24. I thought it was going to be cut up to the age of 23. Imagine being 24 & relying on your parents. Its a joke.

My real question though is about people doing courses are entitles to the full dole? I am in part time college, 6 hours a week, does this count?

I lost my job 6 weeks ago & was told I wont have a penny before xmas.. welcome to Ireland..

Does anybody know what the max amount a relieving officer will give?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭chachabinx

I lost my job 6 weeks ago, looking for a job everyday. Thanks for the moral support.

It must be hard being so damn perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

donegalfella that was uncalled for!!!

So is that it, did you just come in here to make yourself feel better or are you going to actually answer the question that I asked?

• Advertisement

Well I've paid PRSI for the past 7 years which is 2% of my salary as well as the 10% that my employers paid as well, so I think that I am more then entitled to depend on the state while I am SEARCHING FOR WORK. Is that not the purpose of JOB SEEKERS ALLOWANCE?

Karma might come into play & you might loose yours & we'll see how opinions change..

Actually should you not be working now?

Yep started working in a pub at 15. You sound surprised. There was people working there that were younger then me too.

Hard at work I see...

• Advertisement

Maybe now but defo not then, sure if you go into a pub nearly every lounge person is under 18.

You have to be 18 to serve drink. ie work behind the bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭cavedave

So you have worked for seven/eight years and get treated worse than someone whose never tried to work a day in their lives but happens to be old? That seems unfair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 PolishGuy

Hello, I'm 19 years of age and currently on job seekers allowances in the U.K. However I am aware JSA in the Republic is far more generous. Am I right in thinking as long as I sign-on in Ireland before the 30th of December 2009 I won’t be affected by the changes made in Budget 2010.

dziekuje bardzo! (best regards in Polish)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭Valmont

PolishGuy wrote: »
    Hello, I'm 19 years of age and currently on job seekers allowances in the U.K. However I am aware JSA in the Republic is far more generous. Am I right in thinking as long as I sign-on in Ireland before the 30th of December 2009 I won’t be affected by the changes made in Budget 2010.

Christ, there's no end to the madness!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

PolishGuy wrote: »

:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭seclachi

To the OP, yeah, I think it was as stupid cut in many respects, sure it`ll catch a fair few stay at home moochers out, but what about people with dependants or who were working long term, life doesnt simply get more expensive when your 24, nor do your parents decide to automatically phunt you out. I`m kind of surprised it hasnt run afoul of any ageism laws, but then again its been said many times over that the young and old are slaves to the middle aged and I guess thats just the way society goes.

Advertisement