Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop asap

• 11-12-2009 5:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭

I'm looking for a Laptop for the other half folks for the Christmas. I'm not a computer expert by any strecth of the imagination neither is herself.

5 musts though

Decent size screen not one of these netbooks.

Must run farmville on Facebook smoothly, she's addicted and frezze's quite alot on my old machine.

Must be able to insert chips from phone and cameras to upload photo's.

Must be wireless.

Must not have Vista, i have it and wrecks my head, very slow.

After that i open to all ideas, Budget is roughly 400quid give or take a few euro's.

Guys i'm putting this one in your hands i want someone to pick one for me that will do all the above comfortably, i want to purchase this weekend.

Thanks a million

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭OREGATO

I'm looking for a Laptop for the other half folks for the Christmas. I'm not a computer expert by any strecth of the imagination neither is herself.

5 musts though

Decent size screen not one of these netbooks.

Must run farmville on Facebook smoothly, she's addicted and frezze's quite alot on my old machine.

Must be able to insert chips from phone and cameras to upload photo's.

Must be wireless.

Must not have Vista, i have it and wrecks my head, very slow.

After that i open to all ideas, Budget is roughly 400quid give or take a few euro's.

Guys i'm putting this one in your hands i want someone to pick one for me that will do all the above comfortably, i want to purchase this weekend.

Thanks a million

Most of the laptops out there now will do everything that you've mentioned and all of them should come with Windows 7 now as opposed to vista.

As for a specific make and model, try having a look in the likes of PC world and the like.

There was a really nice Acer one on special offer up north - £400 and it was a great spec. i dont know the euro equivlent here, but i'd say you'll save if you head up north....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭green123

you got some good advice a couple of weeks ago when you posted a very similar request
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055746027

you dont need to worry about wireless ( it will have it )
    and card readers can be got in the €2 shop ( if laptop doesnt have it )

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭pokerface_me

Thanks for the quick reply Oregato, looking to buy in P.C world or somewhere in Dublin, used to shop north all the time, but think its time we all did our bit and gave the economy a boost down here. We are never gonna get out of this mess if the Euro's keep disappering over the border, have a lot of family that have lost there jobs as well and if shopping here helps to create jobs, well i can't argue with that.

Sorry back to the laptop, i'm not fussy on brands just something that comes recommended and will do all of the above. As said just pick me a laptop and i'm off to buy it, i'm a complete novice with computers.

Once again thanks Oregato.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭pokerface_me

green123 wrote: »
    you got some good advice a couple of weeks ago when you posted a very similar request
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055746027

you dont need to worry about wireless ( it will have it )
    and card readers can be got in the €2 shop ( if laptop doesnt have it )

I know Green i meant to mention i posted it a few weeks back, got so tied up with bloody work i just never got the chance, didn't like the dell site at all, having to pick and build it before i knew it i was up to 700euro and hadn't the foggiest idea what i was buying. People were also recommending alot of netbooks, a friend has one and the screen is so small i just don't think she would like it. She often would watch a DVD on mine if she is in the humour and there doesn't seem to be that option on a netbook.

Once again thanks green and if there is any current deals out there let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭OREGATO

I know Green i meant to mention i posted it a few weeks back, got so tied up with bloody work i just never got the chance, didn't like the dell site at all, having to pick and build it before i knew it i was up to 700euro and hadn't the foggiest idea what i was buying. People were also recommending alot of netbooks, a friend has one and the screen is so small i just don't think she would like it. She often would watch a DVD on mine if she is in the humour and there doesn't seem to be that option on a netbook.

Once again thanks green and if there is any current deals out there let me know.

You're best bet is to go into one of the shops and have a look, to be honest, anything 'basic' should do you fine.

As long as shes just going to be using it for farmville (gaming wise) then just get the basic one, no need for fancy graphics card or anything like that.

Do not buy from Dell now for Christmas present as I'd be worried about delivery time etc. (you dont want it to arrive in January like)

Try PC World or dixons or currys. The three of them are all the same anyway so switching from one to another won't make a difference.

Don't get a netbook if she wants to watch DVD's, it'll be too small.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭green123

OREGATO wrote: »
    Don't get a netbook if she wants to watch DVD's, it'll be too small.

its not just that netbooks are small that is the problem - netbooks dont have dvd drives

pokerface
    make sure the laptop has at least the following spec and you wont go too far wrong :

windows 7
    2Gb of ram ( or more )
    a dual core or a core 2 duo processor

it will have wireless and a dvd writer ( but no harm to confirm it ).
    things like card readers and webcams and bluetooth are nice but not essential because they can be added very easily and very cheaply to any laptop.
    a bigger hard drive and battery would be nice but again not really essential.

try pc world, currys , harvey norman, power city , did, tesco/dunnes

dont buy added insurance - you dont need it ( you have a 1 year gaurantee with every laptop already )
    dont buy anti virus from them - free and better versions can be download online ( avg, avast and mircosoft essentials )
    dont buy office from them - download open office for free

• Closed Accounts Posts: 745 ✭✭✭cable842

i got my laptop up the north in febuary and I got it 200euro cheaper then dublin.

Why should i pay 200euro more just to save our country

Advertisement