Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

fastest simplest linux distro

• 11-12-2009 5:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭

Hi - my family computer is too old to run xp properly.

I want a fast simple linux distro to install on it that will work with little hassle and has firefox at least.

needs to run eircom netopia internet.

Can jolicloud be run on a desktop? is it any good?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭eightcell

Sounds like you are looking for Xubuntu.
    The installer is graphical and does what you are looking for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Vergast

I would lend my support for puppy linux.
    http://www.puppylinux.org

Its < 100mb installer, comes with everything to you need fix, check and test computers, as well as partition drives and run performance tests. Fits nicely on a memory pen so you can bring your OS around with you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Have you tried reinstalling xp? It could be that xp has just gotten bogged down. But if that's not the case, i'd definitely go for xubuntu. It's a nice OS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭conchubhar1

1/4 gig of ram and 17 gb hdd

I should have never installed xp tbh....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

yes ubuntu is too bloated to run to smoothly on those specs even xubuntu. i found its not that much lighter then the ordinary ubuntu.

puppy linux i always thought was too rough and unpolished for a everyday linux box. its great for an o.s on a flash drive though.

i put arch linux on a Pentium III 800mhz with 196mb of ram and its running smooth. really nice distro

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Mint comes in XFCE flavour too.
    http://www.linuxmint.com/rel_gloria_xfce.php

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Mint is also Ubuntu and will be slow depending on how old the PC is. Puppy is your best bet - it will run on anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,034 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

PCLinuxOS LXDE should fit the bill nicely.

Puppy would be faster, but not as 'friendly' to use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 745 ✭✭✭cable842

i agree with the Linux Mint comment. its a great system

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Nichololas

Check out;
    Puppy Linux
    Arch linux
    Vector linux

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Even smaller than Puppy Linux (105MB) is Damn Small Linux and You'd be suprised at the amount of stuff they squeezed into 50MB, its a fully functioning desktop distro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Vergast

Damn Small Linux is a bit less user friendly that Puppy. I was surprised how simple and explained a lot of things were in the latest puppy release , 4.3 or 4.2 cant remember, very user friendly compared to the old versions!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭niallb

Crunchbang is well worth a look.
    Don't know if it's still being updated, but I've used it on several machines with 256M of RAM, and been happy. It's ubuntu based, so has lots of software options.
    A debian install with the lxde desktop is another excellent choice.

Advertisement