Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Traffic In Sligo

Options
  • 11-12-2009 5:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭

Hi Folks!

Just though I'd start this thread to discuss if the traffic in Sligo has improved or deteriorated since the closure of O'Connell Street. This is strictly to do with peoples experience of traffic since the road closed and not peoples opinion of the road closing so let's keep it clean and friendly!

I've heard varying reports from people saying that the traffic has greatly improved and others saying it has gotten worse. Of course it also depends what time of the day you are driving at so if people could say what time of the day it was when they encountered the better/worse traffic that would be a great help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

Depends on when you are travelling and where!
    For example Friday afternoon from now onwards nearly everywhere is a disaster.
    I don't consider the closure of O'Connell street as a factor as I never would have bothered using it much anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

Is it a right turn only at the top of O'Connell Street?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,893 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Is it a right turn only at the top of O'Connell Street?
    Yep.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 LadyDotty

The reopening of O'Connell street happened to coincide with the Borough Councillors decision to provide free carparking around town. So naturally there are a lot more people around town availing of this.

So there has been a lot more traffic into town, tis the season and all that.

IMO Abbey street car park is actually quite unsafe as people are parking all over the place, including on the yellow lines out on the main road outside it, it's difficult to see oncoming traffic past these cars. Are other are parks this crowded?

Traffic problems have supposedly now swung from the east ward over to the west, with congestion from Church Hill up to the Centra in Maugheraboy, out the strandhill road to Scoil Ursula.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

O'Connell Street opened not closed.

I have used it everyday since it re-opened for going to college in the morning and I have noticed a major difference. It now takes me only 10 minutes from my house to the college whereas if I was go go along the Inner Relief Road and Ash Lane it could take me 30-40 mins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭darealtulip

bobcar61 wrote: »
    O'Connell Street opened not closed.

I have used it everyday since it re-opened for going to college in the morning and I have noticed a major difference. It now takes me only 10 minutes from my house to the college whereas if I was go go along the Inner Relief Road and Ash Lane it could take me 30-40 mins.

Your not telling me that you are one of these people that go by car to collage dispite living only 10 minutes away!!! (can you see I do Environmental Science?)

Imagine how much time you would have saved going on a pushbike all that time!!:D
    (OK I'm dutch and we love push bikes)

...... and ofcourse taking my parking space at the IT when I start late!!:eek::eek::eek:

I start late as well so I just park in the brewery, there is always a space there.

If I was to cycle, I would have to fork out money I don't have on a bike, then I would have to cycle for about half and hour and in the process I'd get drenched.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭redarmyblues

I start late as well so I just park in the brewery, there is always a space there.

If I was to cycle, I would have to fork out money I don't have on a bike, then I would have to cycle for about half and hour and in the process I'd get drenched.

I have a car yet I walk or cycle nearly everywhere because I enjoy it more. I am no paragon but if more were to follow my example there would be far less conflict about roads, bridges, pedestrian streets and so on.

No driver has the right to complain about being stuck in traffic because we are the traffic. There is little sense of the common good in Ireland. "I need a car because I live in the country, Oooh I couldn't live in town, think about the kiddies and so on"

Come on all you fatties, your car enslaves you, cast off your chains and live like your ancestors as ambulatory beings.

I bought a car because I wanted one and I want to use it to go to college. Why walk when you can drive.
    It's freezing outside in the mornings when I leave my house and it's usually raining as well.
    I'm not going to walk over an hour to college if it's raining or freezing out, I'd rather use the car so I can keep dry and turn up the heat.

Quite frankly I'd still rather use the car if it was the hottest day of the year.

Bit harsh calling everyone who drives "fatties"

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭mickeyfitzray

In fairness I think it was meant in jest! He has a point though. I lived in Woodtown Lodge when I was going to college in the IT and thought nothing of the 40-50 minute walk because I was used to it. Often I walked instead of taking the bus. I've walked everywhere all my life. Why walk when you can drive? Your health! As for getting drenched I heard a saying once. There's no such thing as bad weather... just the wrong clothes! Anyone who lives in Ireland and complains about getting wet has only themselves to blame. Rain gear is not expensive.

Anyway, were getting off topic here. Is it true what I've heard that traffic is now backed up Maugheraboy direction at certain times?

• Advertisement

uuh I was joking. I'm just bitter coz I can't park!! the less people go by car the more space for me!!!!!!! LOL

Tree hugging was just an excuse!!

I am though!! But I agree with red army blues that the traffic "problem" in Sligo is only two small windows in the day. People dicede to go by car and then complain about traffic, or worse they expect no extra tax but millions have to be spend for them to save 20, 30 minutes a day!

The traffic problem in Sligo is that every one starts at the same time and stops at the same time. I started at 6 in the morning bach in Holland to avoid traffic (normally every body starts at 8) and went home early. Not everybody can do that ofcourse but it would help if everybody who could did it would help.

Again bob I was just joking when I told you about the bike!!

Anyway, were getting off topic here. Is it true what I've heard that traffic is now backed up Maugheraboy direction at certain times?

I am from up there and It haven't noticed it to be any different.

gricklockd today, untold for a wee town,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭blackbetty69

ya i noticed that on my way through.. shocking bad

Advertisement