Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Blocking Ports

• 11-12-2009 5:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭

I've had UPC 20MB broadband since August.
    I had setup port forwarding so I could remotely access my PC,and some other stuff. I've had the same ip since I joined and had a domain pointing to this for handyness.

Since yesterday, my IP has changed and non of my port forwarding is working. I've tried connecting to the new ip directly and none of my connections work. (http, ssh, remote access)

I've checked this with an online port checker and the ports are open
    I've also soon non standard ports open (for ssh) and they aren't reported as open either.

Anyone else notice this problem?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭_Sidhe_

I never really use remote access myself, so am far from an expert on the matter, but would this not be always going to happen when you're using the IP address supplied by your modem on a dynamic IP system?
    UPC do say that your IP address may fluctuate constantly.

All my port forwarding is done through a static IP that I've set up on my computer itself.
    Would tis not have been the way for you to go yourself?

Once again, only guessing here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Has your WAN or LAN IP changed? UPC use mostly static IPs, though not for everyone. If your LAN IP has changed, then your port forwarding will all be broken.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭ronkmonster

Yes the IP changed but I've pointed my domain to the new IP
    I've also used the new IP directly. My IP was always the same til now.

Using the new IP I can't get into my network at all. All ports seem to be blocked.

My common ports open are 80 (web), 3389 (remote access)
    The rest of the ports are non standard for security.

The PC i access has a static IP internally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

On a similar issue I tried to forward a port earlier with a Thomson router, went through all the steps etc no problem but it's now completely killed my uTorrent downloading. There will only be 2 downloads going at once even though all my settings are correct, I changed my port back to the one which I've been using the whole time and was getting 1.4mbps last night. I've now removed all settings from my router and went back to automatically obtaining an ip address. No idea how to speed it up.

Seemed to be my 2nd router that had changed IP address from the UPC router. I changed the router to static IP and seems ok now

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭the_law

ronkmonster, could you explain how you fixed the problem a bit further? I'm having the same issue, and am wondering how setting your router to static IP would help. I have a single router running Tomato (rock solid reliable, when NTL changed their IP pool the other day was its first restart in 40 days) which acquires an address via DHCP.

OT: at the same time as changing all our IPs, NTL migrated us onto a different frequency plan, probably in preparation for DOCSIS 3 next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭GigaByte

It may be that the routers change his local IP address. Unless you have your PC set to a static IP the router can change your local IP address when you reboot and you will have to forward your ports to that new IP address.

GigaByte - fair point, but all my local IPs are set static on the devices (or static via DHCP for my laptop).

I have port 80 forwarded to a VOIP adapter so I can check the status page when dialing in remotely. I've double checked and nothing has changed on my router - the port is still forwarded to the same internal IP, and crucially I can access it locally when I enter the dyndns hostname in my browser, or the public IP. (and yes, dyndns has updated correctly and is resolving correctly)

I'm pretty sure I'm not doing anything stupid here, but all suggestions more than welcome. If I can't resolve it, a complaint is going in on Monday, as the service worked last week and now doesn't!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭_Sidhe_

The complaint will get you nowhere most likely.
    No ISP supports your home network, and they will most likely just say there's nothing they can do.

And how exactly can they say it's a problem with my home network (which of course I wouldn't expect any ISP to support in a million years) when I haven't touched my configuration? It worked before the routing change, now it doesn't. Simple.

• Advertisement

My setup is bit different in that I have 2 routers
    UPC router has ip 192.168.1.1
    and my 2nd router had 192.168.1.13
    during reboots of router to get it working (before i knew ip had changed)
    it must have reset to 192.168.1.11

my problem was that the first router was forwarding to wrong ip for the 2nd router, and all my ports forward to 2nd router before being seperated to other PCs from there.
    with a single router, i don't know why you would have problems

i had originally set the router to dynamic so changed to static (on 2nd router)

how often are these ip changes?

Okay, I see what happened to you - no such problems here. But can you access port 80 remotely now? Or is it just higher ports that are working for you?

Thanks

So my issue has been resolved - although I'm not sure why. It involved a couple of modem and router reboots (although I'd already rebooted both yesterday to no effect) and deleting my port forwarding on the router and setting it up again.

I can confirm that port 80 is definitely not blocked - I'm using it right now...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭GigaByte

It was never blocked, as in both cases it was a home network problem. At least its working for both of you now. :)

yeah everything is working. i setup dynamic dns on the upc router too so if it changes again and my domain doesnt work, the dynamic dns domain will still work

Advertisement