Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Green TD Paul Gogarty flips his f*@king wig

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

mike65 wrote: »
    Could be a youtube classic.
    Good publicity for the Green Party, the tabloids will have a field day tomarrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Darsad

As with the rest of his party Gogarty simply displayed an inability to remain calm and collected and proved his unsuitability to hold public office! Only a fool would give the greens a vote next time out !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

I am awestruck at the huge amount of positive sentiment expressed here in reaction to this spoilt Brat's outburst in our Dail......

What positive characteristics, traits or qualities were displayed here?

What dignity, composure, conduct befitting the setting and context was on show?

What display of values, morals or decency did you witness?

Is this really all that you expect and want from your Political Representatives?

This Idiot made it clear that he reacted in the manner that he did because he felt insulted. This loss of control did not have its roots in building tensions over Kids being schooled in prefabs or being denied adequate medical care or any other Political tension agitator. Paul Gogarty acted like a belligerent Child today in the Dail because he was accurately accused of being an insincere little Upstart - and the truth hurts, especially when you are a Pretend Politician and all your mates are watching in Wine Bars all over the Southside of Dublin.

I saw a spoilt Child today standing there in the the Dail and behaving like an uncomfortable cross between a 15 year old Kid fighting with Mummy and Daddy and a simpering, self-centred, utterly narcissistic Fool with the strength of Character of boiled lettuce and the self-control of the Drunk who throws the first punch of the Bar room brawl.

I saw no backbone, positive attitude, trend bucking, political assertiveness - It was just a public display of Only-Child syndrome and a 'Man' who is a living, breathing Icon of what the Green Party represents in todays sorry, sorry Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭swiss

Why should it be? Hecklers add little of use to any debate, especially when is is the type of heckling that happens in the Dáil chamber.
    I agree. But it's been going on since the dawn of time. Until we start electing politicians that manage to not jeer and jostle when others are making statements in the Dáil, it's going to continue.

My point is that Paul Gogarty could have handled this any of a number of ways. I'm not suggesting that he should have sat back and taken Emmett Stags constant jabs (ahem!). But he could have avoided using expletives for a start. "How dare you question my sincerity?", might have worked too. But we won't know.

Also, while I know he was under pressure, the outburst was premeditated in my view. Why else would he apologise for using unparliamentary language, before saying it?

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭freewheeler

Sand wrote: »
    I liked it - when Stagg made that snide little remark, you could see Gogartys eyes glazing over as he was thinking "**** this ****"

Lets be honest. Stagg was play acting for the crowd, pretending to be the great champion of the poor. Anyone could go into the Dail give out about this is so unfair, or that is so unfair. We need a government, not a shoulder to cry on. I think Gogarty is right to be frustrated that he might honestly believe that fair, or unfair, the only honest, responsible course of action is to pass these cuts. And these are minimal cuts. We are not talking about going back to the 19th century.

Given that, someone needed to tell Stagg to **** off and come back when he was ready to act like someone with a stake in seeing the best for this country as opposed to simply being a whinger. Labour are essentially the whinging party. They are utterly idealogically bankrupt, with no credibility whatsoever. Someone needed to tell them to **** off, and I have a great deal of respect for Gogarty for doing so. We need more honesty and passion from our TDs, not this snide playacting personified by Stagg.

Greens still arent getting a vote from me. Gogarty should have saved his passion and patriotism for the NAMA vote they had.
    Get real sand..if anyone was play-acting it was Gogarty..are you serious? 'oh these cuts are soooo unfair...but i ll vote foe them anyway' hahahaha its just the sort of hypocrisy we have come to expect from the vegetable party.You talk about 'idealogically bankrupt' and 'no credibility whatsoever'?? if this doesn't describe FF and the veg. party i don't know what does..oh and you can throw in morally bankrupt while you're at it..you should be embarrased to admit to voting for them.

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

swiss wrote: »
    I agree. But it's been going on since the dawn of time. Until we start electing politicians that manage to not jeer and jostle when others are making statements in the Dáil, it's going to continue.
    This.

As I listened to this story in the car today, I started mentally composing a letter to each of my local TDs, politely requesting that in future they refrain from heckling in the Dáil chamber.

In the case of at least one of those, it will require that he be gagged and bound, but I live in hope of miracles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Agent J

This just seems like either play acting on Gogarty part or acting like a spoiled brat when they have been caught out.

Either way the immediatate turnabout is patheitic.

If you are going to swear at someone then at least stand by it for more than a milisecond.

Although it gives a nice political cover to the whole passing of the social welfare bill. Which will get more news coverage tonight/tomorrow?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭ateam

Inappropriate and immature reaction from Gogarty. He should have been thrown out of the House straight away - it wasn't so much the use of the F word, it was the aggressive tone he used - you could tell he really meant it. That's the worrying thing.

It did liven up the news today though. TV3 showed the clip unedited, thought the F word isn't allowed before 9 pm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

if you look past the redicolous ( although undeniabley hillarious ) outburst , thier was substance in deputy gogartys message , the blind are a lot more vulnerable than the pensioners in this country , too many people are sentimental chumps in thier attitude to the elderly in this country , the carracture of a little old lady who lives in a one bedroom cottage with no central heating is in most cases , a million miles from reality , the over 70,s are in fact one of the wealthiest demographics in the country and are redicoloulsy spiled in terms of the level of wellfare they recieve , that said i dont blame the goverment for not touching them , the hysterical reaction to the proposed medica card changes last year would be warning to anyone that you dont touch the grey vote with a barge pole

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭IrishTonyO

irish_bob wrote: »
    if you look past the redicolous ( although undeniabley hillarious ) outburst , thier was substance in deputy gogartys message

yeah so much substance that he is voting with the government (that he is part of) and putting these through, he can't have it both ways.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Lowki

"I know a bad word Mummy! I heard it from the senior boys at the back of the Dail bikesheds" then he voted with the government like the spineless coward he is.

There are two possibilities. 1: he really lost it, in which case I genuinely feel sorry for the guy, stress like that is no fun at all.

Or...

2: He is a panty-waisted self-promoter who needs to root around and find a pair."fkyoudeputystaggfkyouIapologiseforunparliamentarylanguageandwithdrawtheremark" - please? Then this spalpin cravenly voted with the rest of the sheeple in the Dail as he always intended to. As an aside, his 'fk you' is about as intimidating as ladybirds....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭marcsignal

irish_bob wrote: »
    if you look past the redicolous ( although undeniabley hillarious ) outburst , thier was substance in deputy gogartys message , the blind are a lot more vulnerable than the pensioners in this country , too many people are sentimental chumps in thier attitude to the elderly in this country , the carracture of a little old lady who lives in a one bedroom cottage with no central heating is in most cases , a million miles from reality , the over 70,s are in fact one of the wealthiest demographics in the country and are redicoloulsy spiled in terms of the level of wellfare they recieve , that said i dont blame the goverment for not touching them , the hysterical reaction to the proposed medica card changes last year would be warning to anyone that you dont touch the grey vote with a barge pole

This doesn't make any sense, Gogarty supports the Gov. and will vote to cut the social welfare to blind people.

marcsignal wrote: »

don't see any difference in this clip, what was the difference meant to be?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭marcsignal

IrishTonyO wrote: »
    don't see any difference in this clip, what was the difference meant to be?

the difference is 13 seconds into it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 56,050 ✭✭✭✭walshb

ateam wrote: »
    Inappropriate and immature reaction from Gogarty. He should have been thrown out of the House straight away - it wasn't so much the use of the F word, it was the aggressive tone he used - you could tell he really meant it. That's the worrying thing.

It did liven up the news today though. TV3 showed the clip unedited, thought the F word isn't allowed before 9 pm.

+1

I just watched it again there. It was so aggressive and it was right from the pit of his stomach, and twice. An absolute disgraceful man and an embarrassment to the political system, which really could do without further embarrassment. I don't see any sacking here to be honest, it's Ireland, and we were never known for standards

I don't really understand the logic behind thanking Gogarty - is it because he used a "bad" word, that's sad. After all he SUPPORTS the government cuts on social welfare. So perhaps keep that in mind before you create a martyr of him. Stagg, although another useless Labour politician that has achieved nothing, didn't deserve to be subjected to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

walshb wrote: »
    +1

I just watched it again there. It was so aggressive and it was right from the pit of his stomach, and twice. An absolute disgraceful man and an embarrassment to the political system, which really could do without further embarrassment. I don't see any sacking here to be honest, it's Ireland, and we were never known for standards

Well, there we are.
    Gogarty brings more ridicule on the body politik by swearing, twice, at another TD in the chamber of our Parliament.

Well done, Gogarty.
    Clown.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭deadwood

That has Just Made my day

It made my hole weak.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭Valmont

deadwood wrote: »
    It made my hole weak.

Gay for the greens huh?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Shea O'Meara

Stagg had a point. You can't support the budget and then whinge about how aspects of it were wrong. That's trying to play both sides and failing.
    Gogarty swearing just showed he hasn't the political skills, (giving and taking a well worded brow beating) and is basically a bit of a pup and nothing more. Imagine him representing the country with that sharp Wilde-esque wit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭ismynametoolong

Well anything that brings shame and disgrace on this green bunch of spanners has to be welcomed rock on ! its just another spade full of muck in the grave they are digging for themselves

Has this made international headlines by any chance? I hope it does, a member of parliament swearing aggressively is newsworthy in my opinion. Someone email it to Sky News.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

It was uncalled for and unnecessary, certainly didn't add to the debate and it hasn't improved the state of the country one iota.

Having said that, Gogarty is one of the better backbenchers in the government, in the Green Partys programme for government, he as their education spokesman reversed some of the cuts, and has ensured other cuts won't follow, on paper anyway. I don't know him personally, have never met him but I have friends in his constituency and they speak well of him, though they are not Green voters.

Funny looking at Roisin Shorthall looking all indignant when he accused them of culpability in planning "transgressions", Labour in two areas I lived over the past few years have got an incredible record of voting in a block along with FF and (of course:rolleyes:) FG in voting in various planning proposals.

bijapos wrote: »
    Having said that, Gogarty is one of the better backbenchers in the government......
    I don't know him personally, have never met him but I have friends in his constituency and they speak well of him, though they are not Green voters.

I am in his constituency and even voted for him last election, but I think you will find he will never be elected again. He is an embarrassment even among the Green Party who I know a good few members of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 john_d_baptist

judging by his outburst, and the content of his rant, he seems like a man that knows his game is up, as he said himself... he has lost his seat, and at the hands of the people that accepted back-handers from developers, implicating the that his coalition partners indulged in corrupt actions in the Dail in the same breath as his angry outburst, is a statement of historic proportions.
    I imagine that he sees no hope of a career after the impending collapse of the government, and probably wishes he hadnt tried to play it clean, and accepted the odd bribe like the rest of them. He may well be thinking that he could now face the dole, and that Emmet Staggs mumblings were only a reminder to him of that.

FG / Green Party coalition 500-1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

judging by his outburst, and the content of his rant, he seems like a man that knows his game is up, as he said himself... he has lost his seat, and at the hands of the people that accepted back-handers from developers, implicating the that his coalition partners indulged in corrupt actions in the Dail in the same breath as his angry outburst, is a statement of historic proportions.

While this may be true, it is just another example of his lack of mental strength and morals. If he believes his seat is already gone, and that this budget is unfair, then he should step down. If he is being bullied along by the higher ups in the party and/or FF then he should feel doubly embarrassed for himself tonight. Removing himself from power, or better yet breaking with the government and voting against the budget and then leaving, would be the best thing for him to do now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

That was the campest "f*ck you", that I've heard in a long time.

That was the campest "f*ck you", that I've heard in a long time.

He has a lisp, get over it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Bigdeadlydave

In all honesty how many of us would love to stand up and say "**** you" to certain TDs?

Advertisement