Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dunnes value club xmas voucher mailing.

Options
  • 11-12-2009 6:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭

Hi all not sure if im in the right spot for this so apologies if i am feel free to move me if i am.

Im just wondering if anyone else had received their xmas vouchers from dunnes after using their value club card. i received mine this morning a grand total of 9e!!!!! now im not really that bothered as i forget about my card more often than not but my mam also received her vouchers this morning and she got 29e in vouchers to use in dunnes.

now my mam shops religiously in dunnes every single week spending between 200e and 250e on groceries each time. then there are some weeks where she will also get stuff in the drapery department which will bump up her points even more. you get 1 value club point for every euro you spend. the latest mailing was for the period between the start of august to the 14th of november. now im no math whizz but thats roughly 15 weeks and if my mam spent say 200e every one of those weeks that would make about 3000e and 3000points. now im not sure how they convert the point to cash value but my mam was insulted to say the least that she was "rewarded with 29e for spending 3000e in the shop.

she called the customer services number attached to her statement and the woman she spoke to told her that they had been inundated all day with people complaining about the vouchers they received. she really took my mams point that for the amount she spends in dunnes every week 29e was indeed a bit of a miserable "reward".

anyway she took my mams details and said someone would contact her about it. sorry for the really long post but i just thought it was a bit of a let down when you are loyal to one store and spend so much and they thank you by sending you a miserable amount like that. i mean you can only spend the vouchers in dunnes its not like you are gonna go off and spend the vouchers somewhere else!

anyone else had the same!!??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Tesco give the same, to be honest I'd prefer get that than what supervalue and superquin and Lidl/Aldi give you ....... A big fat nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

You get 1 point per €1 spent in tesco, so €2,900 will get you €29, so it seems correct, since I think dunnes are also 1cent per €1.

The real issue/story is that in the past tesco & dunnes used to have 25% back in points offers on booze & other stuff like at christmas they might have 25% back in points on decorations etc. Its a way of them getting the money off you and forcing you to spend the 25% in their shop.

So many people (myself included) were used to getting say 3x€30 in vouchers before, while last time from tesco mine were a miserable 3x€1.50. When they had the 25% back I would stock up on booze and so spend a fortune and clock up all the points. People forget these offers are no longer really running and might have forgotten that they got so much at the time the 25% offer was on.

I only recently registered my dunnes card after a year or so using it, so am due my first vouchers.

A tip in tesco is to use the individual vouchers, like you get "25 points if you spend €3 on tesco meat products", I used to forget about these and they went out of date, now if you use them the cashier often gives you a second voucher on a receipt and it is often very good, like "200 points if you spend €10 on meat". Also check your tesco dates on vouchers, I had about €5 worth go out of date and they are now useless.

The tesco wine club is meant to be worth joining, they give vouchers for money off wine that you would not get in normal clubcard mailings, might be an over 18 thing.

Supervalu do have a clubcard now BTW.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭itsallaboutme!!

dont get me wrong its better than nothing but 29e for spending 3000e in 3months!! its a bit of a kick in the teeth! last year she got nearly 300e which she was able to use to cover her xmas grocery shopping this year it will not even make a dent in it!

its a loyalty card at the end of the day so i can see her shifting her shopping somewhere else if that how they are gonna reward her loyalty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

good points , I remember those extra points / 25% back wars they had between tesco and dunnes , seems like well over a year since they have run one of them :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

dont get me wrong its better than nothing but 29e for spending 3000e in 3months!! its a bit of a kick in the teeth! last year she got nearly 300e which she was able to use to cover her xmas grocery shopping this year it will not even make a dent in it!

its a loyalty card at the end of the day so i can see her shifting her shopping somewhere else if that how they are gonna reward her loyalty.

so the amount per value points changes?

I thought it was always spend €1 get 1 value point and 1 value point gets you €0.01 rewards

• Advertisement

i always thought it was 1 point for every 1e spent then 1cent for every point. ive been on the dunnes value club card site and it doesnt say how they convert points to cash.

I thought it was always spend €1 get 1 value point and 1 value point gets you €0.01 rewards
    That is it, but like I said people were getting 25% back buying games consoles etc. If more people complain they might bring these offers back! used to be on all the time, I used to run out of booze just as another offer would start!

I think tesco once gave 50% back on cds, I bought lots of them, you can quadruple your points for vouchers for some places, like some restaraunts & pizza takeaways. So if I spent €10 on a cd, I could get €20 in vouchers for a pizza. I remember in bargain alerts people were getting consoles and using the quadrupled vouchers for family trips on the ferry.

That's her prerogative. At the end of the day, Tesco / Dunnes etc are quite clear about how their loyalty cards work, and it's up to individual consumers to take it or leave it.

i always thought it was 1 point for every 1e spent then 1cent for every point. ive been on the dunnes value club card site and it doesnt say how they convert points to cash.

http://www.dunnesstores.ie/page.php?pid=427
    3. One point will be awarded for every €1 spent by you in the Republic of Ireland. Points will be accumulated on a quarterly basis. Once you have accumulated 400 points in each quarter you will be entitled to a Dunnes Stores VALUE club voucher worth €4 in the Republic of Ireland. For every 100 points accumulated by you after that, you will receive a €1 Dunnes Stores VALUE club voucher in the Republic of Ireland.

according to the woman she spoke to there are alot of people complaining about it. she says they have been crazy busy on the phones all day with the same thing.

maybe it is as a result of there being less offers on points during the year but it does kind of sting when you spend so much in such a short space of time and get back so little.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

The points system hasn't changed but this year I don't recall there been a lot of double points weekends and special offers regarding points which were around last year. Can't see anywhere Dunnes are at fault over this, but €29 does seem mean when you bought €3000 worth of goods.

Supervalu do have a clubcard now BTW.

I don't know what there offers are like, but each store acts independently, some stores just decided not to partake in the clubcard thing

• Registered Users Posts: 24,078 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

rubadub wrote: »
    I would stock up on booze and so spend a fortune and clock up all the points.

I'll have to visit the "Diet and Nutrition Forum", it sounds interesting.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭JohnC.

There has certainly been less (none?) of the extra points offers this year, which is why she got less. What she got is right for what she spent. I don't see what she is getting upset for, considering they don't really have to offer her any money back. The points/vouchers are a bonus scheme they run, not some kind of right.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭blond45

Hi all not sure if im in the right spot for this so apologies if i am feel free to move me if i am.

Im just wondering if anyone else had received their xmas vouchers from dunnes after using their value club card. i received mine this morning a grand total of 9e!!!!! now im not really that bothered as i forget about my card more often than not but my mam also received her vouchers this morning and she got 29e in vouchers to use in dunnes.

now my mam shops religiously in dunnes every single week spending between 200e and 250e on groceries each time. then there are some weeks where she will also get stuff in the drapery department which will bump up her points even more. you get 1 value club point for every euro you spend. the latest mailing was for the period between the start of august to the 14th of november. now im no math whizz but thats roughly 15 weeks and if my mam spent say 200e every one of those weeks that would make about 3000e and 3000points. now im not sure how they convert the point to cash value but my mam was insulted to say the least that she was "rewarded with 29e for spending 3000e in the shop.

she called the customer services number attached to her statement and the woman she spoke to told her that they had been inundated all day with people complaining about the vouchers they received. she really took my mams point that for the amount she spends in dunnes every week 29e was indeed a bit of a miserable "reward".

anyway she took my mams details and said someone would contact her about it. sorry for the really long post but i just thought it was a bit of a let down when you are loyal to one store and spend so much and they thank you by sending you a miserable amount like that. i mean you can only spend the vouchers in dunnes its not like you are gonna go off and spend the vouchers somewhere else!

anyone else had the same!!??
    oh god i thought i was the only one, got my 'big' voucher of 5e yesterday. thought it would be more. cos there was a time when i was going in to dunns every weekend and giving in the card on every transaction. but a poxy 5e is an insult to any one.

i think some people are taking me up wrong here. i am not saying dunnes are at fault in any way i am just saying that i think its a bit rubbish that after spending 3000e in a period of three months using a loyalty card that is supposed to give you rewards for that loyalty they send you out a meesley 29e!!

blonde45- sounds like you get what im talking about. it kind of makes you think well whats the point in staying loyal if thats all you get for it! my mam was insulted by the 29e and called the customer services so ill keep you posted if she gets a reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

How did she not know she would get 29euro, all she had to do was move the decimal point back 2 places on the points on her receipt.
    ie 2900 points = 29.00 euro.

I usually have my Tesco vouchers spent in my head a week before they come out because I know what am getting.

The main reason there are less offers like this (speculation) is that when people got their vouchers back in late Jan they spent them then went back to Lidl/Aldi and also grocery prices are about 22% less then they were last year. There's your 20% back!!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,699 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

This issue sounds like user error to me :)

I mean, it's simple, every euro spent, = 1c in voucher, €3000 = €30.

They haven't been running offers this year because they've had to reduce their prices in competition with Tesco and Superquinn. They put on the offers last year instead of dropping prices.

Would you prefer they put the prices back up 25% but gave vouchers instead?

edit:
    I can only imagine being the CS rep having to listen to a bunch of people complaining about this. Facepalm with a plastic smile and a cheery voice in order to placate them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Why has noone said

3000 points = 3000cents = 30 Euro.

It has ALWAYS been this way

Dunnes/Tesco all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

i think some people are taking me up wrong here. i am not saying dunnes are at fault in any way i am just saying that i think its a bit rubbish that after spending 3000e in a period of three months using a loyalty card that is supposed to give you rewards for that loyalty they send you out a meesley 29e!!

blonde45- sounds like you get what im talking about. it kind of makes you think well whats the point in staying loyal if thats all you get for it! my mam was insulted by the 29e and called the customer services so ill keep you posted if she gets a reply.

How much would you like them to send you out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭happymondays

How much would you like them to send you out?

I dont know why everyone's having a go at the OP, 30 euro is definetly a misery sum after spending 3000. The big difference is as already said there has been no double points or bonus offers for a while so its just basic points being given out which dont work out to very much.

Its in the best insterest of the shop to keep thier customers loyal and keep them coming back so she's right to let them know shes not happy,
    after all she obviously did all her shopping there to take advantage
    of the bonus points.

if there's no reason to be loyal then the customers will go elsewhere and dunness or whoever should be made aware. its up to duness to react and
    who knows if enough people complain then it might encourage them to bring back the bonus points offers or some other offer to keep the edge over the competition.

btw super quinn have a club card as well, and offer a triple points voucher
    when you sign up for any sale you want.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Why are you disappointed with it? It's exactly what you signed up for - 100 points = E1 (therefore E3,000 spend gives you E30 in vouchers). That's the same return as the Tesco loyalty card.

Any extra money she got in the past would have been gained through extra promotions - but you don't get reliant on those.

I dont know why everyone's having a go at the OP, 30 euro is definetly a misery sum after spending 3000. The big difference is as already said there has been no double points or bonus offers for a while so its just basic points being given out which dont work out to very much.

Its in the best insterest of the shop to keep thier customers loyal and keep them coming back so she's right to let them know shes not happy,
    after all she obviously did all her shopping there to take advantage
    of the bonus points.

if there's no reason to be loyal then the customers will go elsewhere and dunness or whoever should be made aware. its up to duness to react and
    who knows if enough people complain then it might encourage them to bring back the bonus points offers or some other offer to keep the edge over the competition.

btw super quinn have a club card as well, and offer a triple points voucher
    when you sign up for any sale you want.

Your missing the point of the scheme if this is the way your thinking. Supermarkets do not reward you for spending. Otherwise there prices would be higher and returned to you in a rebate discount type of way. Supermarkets work on low margin high turnover. Simply put 1% of 100 is far better than 10% of 10 to a supermarket.

The loyality scheme is techanically speaking a supermarket giving everyone back 1%. The information is then collected and used to look at shopper patterns. You would be very surprised what tesco/Dunnes know about you... Some things are obvious. If 50 people out of a 100 buy nappies for newborn then they can cater a lot of promotions towards this element. If 25 of these 50 shop on a saturday they can tailor the promotion for a saturday when most of them will be around. Then run normal prices on weekdays.

Have you ever noticed that the meal for 2 is not available mon/Tues? This is because generally speaking. This promotion is aimed at parents to give them time out. a 2 adult household has more income and is generally not bothered by promotions. They also tend to shop mon/tues when mammy's and daddy's dont.

To summerise. If your getting a lot more of another supermarket then you are paying for it in your basket.... Think about it. Aldi and Lidl dont run this for a reason.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,317 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Good luck finding any other store offering more then 1% back...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

This time last year I got up on €85 in vouchers from dunnes, got €15 this time round, the lack / stop of the double points on your shop has to do with the drop in vouchers a lot, even the money off coupons are miserable this year. Recession must be hitting Dunnes hard this year, good way to keep what customers you have left loyal, not ! :rolleyes:

hellboy99 wrote: »
    This time last year I got up on €85 in vouchers from dunnes, got €15 this time round, the lack / stop of the double points on your shop has to do with the drop in vouchers a lot, even the money off coupons are miserable this year. Recession must be hitting Dunnes hard this year, good way to keep what customers you have left loyal, not ! :rolleyes:

You will always have customers if you give stuff away. Its a balance. Dunnes are not stupid. They are clearly fighting hard times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

Other posters are correct and it simply shows a move to a different type of marketing - lower prices.

Lastv year you got x% back in vouchers in certain promotions, but you were paying full price. This year it was straight price reductions on most promotions (33% off wine, slab of guinness €27, vodka €17, groceries half price etc etc etc)

If your mother checked the average shopping bill from last year against the average shopping bill from this year, you'll probaly find she is paying €30 - €50 less per shop this year.

Much fairer way as I dispise loyalty cards as they prevent many people from shopping around and getting the best value.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭compsys

astrofool wrote: »

I mean, it's simple, every euro spent, = 1c in voucher, €3000 = €30.

They haven't been running offers this year because they've had to reduce their prices in competition with Tesco and Superquinn. They put on the offers last year instead of dropping prices.

Would you prefer they put the prices back up 25% but gave vouchers instead?

edit:
    I can only imagine being the CS rep having to listen to a bunch of people complaining about this. Facepalm with a plastic smile and a cheery voice in order to placate them.

Well said and good point. +1 from me

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

I was amazed at my vouchers this time around.

They were higher than expected as I've reduced my Dunnes shopping quite a bit and noticed that their prices have come down as well.

I prefer to have my prices lower at the till than getting vouchers every three months.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Xterminator

How is it an insult?

Its something for nothing, and the t&c's are clear and havent changed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

astrofool wrote: »

Exactly. It's a 1% rebate, so spend 500 euro, get 5 euro back. It's always been this way, except for special offers that gave extra points, or a percentage of the item back in points.

The other option is to not use the card at all, then you won't know how insulted you might have been, as you'll get nothing at all. Ignorance is bliss.

If you have any issue with Dunnes, Tesco, etc, it should be that they're charging you too much to begin with.

Advertisement