Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dunnes value club xmas voucher mailing.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

jor el wrote: »
    Exactly. It's a 1% rebate, so spend 500 euro, get 5 euro back. It's always been this way, except for special offers that gave extra points, or a percentage of the item back in points.

The other option is to not use the card at all, then you won't know how insulted you might have been, as you'll get nothing at all. Ignorance is bliss.

If you have any issue with Dunnes, Tesco, etc, it should be that they're charging you too much to begin with.

bing...hammer and nail.....well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

The loyality scheme is techanically speaking a supermarket giving everyone back 1%. The information is then collected and used to look at shopper patterns. You would be very surprised what tesco/Dunnes know about you... Some things are obvious.
    A mate of mine worked in dunnes and kept warning me that it was "only 1% back" and how it is crap and not to bother. I told him I already knew it was 1% and then he starts on about them getting "free information", and as though its all some big brother conspiracy going on. I have no problem with them knowing about my buying trends, the vouchers for food items they send me tend to be ones I would use.
    How is it an insult?

Its something for nothing, and the t&c's are clear and havent changed.
    It is certainly not an insult, but is not something for nothing, you can be certain they have themselves covered, just like play.com do not have postmen working for "free". It is sort of like an involuntary savings scheme with them. Would the OP's mother be glad to get 10% back per euro, and pay more for all the goods throughout the year?

To turn this on its head for a minute the OP's mother should be delighted, -even though she probably bought around the same amount of goods this year she got feck all in vouchers, therefore dunnes prices must have dropped considerably and she is spending very little compared to before.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

its a loyalty card at the end of the day so i can see her shifting her shopping somewhere else if that how they are gonna reward her loyalty.

I would be less inclined to call them a 'loyalty' card and more of a marketing ploy offering a 1% rebate - they do not employ these schemes for the benefit of the customer or to reward loyalty, but to collect marketing information to assist their future promotions and hopefully increase their sales and footfall numbers.
    Its nice to get something back, but don't for one minute think that they are rewarding 'loyalty'. How loyal would you be if they increased their prices so they were dearer than the other shops, but to 'reward' you for the loyalty of being over charged, gave you a small percentage of the extra money you spent back in vouchers which you could only spend back in their tills?????

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭PeteK*

My mother got the same, and hasn't been to Dunnes in aaaaaaages!

Hi all not sure if im in the right spot for this so apologies if i am feel free to move me if i am.

Im just wondering if anyone else had received their xmas vouchers from dunnes after using their value club card. i received mine this morning a grand total of 9e!!!!! now im not really that bothered as i forget about my card more often than not but my mam also received her vouchers this morning and she got 29e in vouchers to use in dunnes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 580 ✭✭✭karlr42

There haven't been any "extra points" promotions this year, that's the reason.
    Also, might be worth pointing out (to add to the discussion) that staff have received Christmas bonuses in Dunnes vouchers this year as per usual, based on years of service- this poster got €325, similar amount for most staff across the country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭JJ

I remember last year Dunnes gave out coupons before Christmas where if you spent over €20 or €30 you got a truckload of bonus points on your card. I used almost every coupon I was sent and when January rolled around, I got about €30+ worth of Dunnes vouchers in the post. My next Dunnes shop was more than cut in half.

Also, Superquinn have a Loyalty card too.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭jmbkay

karlr42 wrote: »
    Also, might be worth pointing out (to add to the discussion) that staff have received Christmas bonuses in Dunnes vouchers this year as per usual, based on years of service- this poster got €325, similar amount for most staff across the country.

Ooooo! Good to hear that they're still giving bonuses.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,046 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

calex71 wrote: »
    Tesco give the same, to be honest I'd prefer get that than what supervalue and superquin and Lidl/Aldi give you ....... A big fat nothing.

But if the woman spent her money in Aldi or Lidl she would have saved much more than €29 and she wouldn't have to carry around these ridiculous cards. Con job by Dunnes and Tesco etc. They give you back €1 for every €100 you spend (that's if you remember to bring the card and remember to spend the voucher). They should just do away with the cards and reduce their prices, would make everybodys life simpler.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

karlr42 wrote: »

I'd imagine there would have been hell to pay had they tried to get rid of them- particuarly in heavily unionised stores. I myself got €361 (pre-tax 422:rolleyes:)and I'm part-time:) Although part-time equates to 26 hours. Anyway, there's ructions in my store because a girl who had been on maternity leave for 2 days, and had the amount of vouchers she would receive in her payslip- along with the amount of tax she paid on them- was denied her vouchers.

dxhound2005- what do you mean, 'they should reduce their prices'. Have you been in a Dunnes lately? I can't speak for grocery- although loads of price reductions there. Drapery prices are slashed. The clothes come in at lower prices than they would have this time last year, and they're marked down further (yellow stickers!). Savida is halved in price- most other stuff would be at least a third down on what it used to be.

Ha give you all a laugh. Went shopping today with the vouchers and had recently lost our Dunnes card so had another one. They refused the vouchers because the card and voucher number did not match. I offered ID and explained that the card was replaced. The manager said that would be fine but the card is in a womens name. I said "Yes my wife". She said "Your wife will have to use them not you."

Jesus I though to myself if this is how hard they are going to make they can get knotted.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,046 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

I'd imagine there would have been hell to pay had they tried to get rid of them- particuarly in heavily unionised stores. I myself got €361 (pre-tax 422:rolleyes:)and I'm part-time:) Although part-time equates to 26 hours. Anyway, there's ructions in my store because a girl who had been on maternity leave for 2 days, and had the amount of vouchers she would receive in her payslip- along with the amount of tax she paid on them- was denied her vouchers.

dxhound2005- what do you mean, 'they should reduce their prices'. Have you been in a Dunnes lately? I can't speak for grocery- although loads of price reductions there. Drapery prices are slashed. The clothes come in at lower prices than they would have this time last year, and they're marked down further (yellow stickers!). Savida is halved in price- most other stuff would be at least a third down on what it used to be.

I mean do away with the cards and instead of sending out vouchers use that money plus the money spent on postage and administration to reduce their prices. The price reductions they have done are due to deflation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

I'd imagine there would have been hell to pay had they tried to get rid of them- particuarly in heavily unionised stores.

Sorry for bring this slightly off topic but just wondering is it in contract of employment about getting a Christmas bonus? If not I cant see how the unions could kick up a fuss if there were no bonus.

Where I work, which is partly unionised, we were told that there would be no Christmas bonus this year due to the economic climate yada yada yada. Although peeved, nobody kicked up a fuss as a bonus is exactly that, a bonus, not a devine right.

(not having a go or anything like that, just interested)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

The manager said that would be fine but the card is in a womens name. I said "Yes my wife". She said "Your wife will have to use them not you."
    Ahhh you missed the golden opportunity,
    -"this is a womans name"
    -"yes, what you are insinuating?"
    -"but you're a man"
    SLAP!-"how dare you!, I'm a lady"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Saint_Mel wrote: »
    Sorry for bring this slightly off topic but just wondering is it in contract of employment about getting a Christmas bonus? If not I cant see how the unions could kick up a fuss if there were no bonus.

Where I work, which is partly unionised, we were told that there would be no Christmas bonus this year due to the economic climate yada yada yada. Although peeved, nobody kicked up a fuss as a bonus is exactly that, a bonus, not a devine right.

(not having a go or anything like that, just interested)

It is indeed in the contract. Since it's vouchers for the store we work for- ie. the store has to buy them, but we can only spend them there anyway, so I think I'm right in saying it just breaks even anyway and they don't make a loss. My store has a large contingent of people there 10+ years, some the kind of people who'd sulk for the rest of the day if not given their preferred lunch..We need to be unionised really since the company really don't give a damn about their staff but it's a bit much when people threaten the union for petty grievances.

There are rules about the clubcard! They drew up a new contract for us to sign and a good few have but I haven't and haven't been made to. Voucher and card number must match. Person presenting vouchers MUST be the cardholder. They must be in date and you can't take the customer's friend's clubcard for the sale- only the clubcard holder can take the points for their own sale. You can only swipe or type a card that's present- you can't get the number off the vouchers/statement/receipt. I'd bend a few of them, you'd get the head bitten off you if you didn't. They've come down harder on it because it's skewing the data I suppose.

Nope, the prices are not just down to deflation. I've worked there for years and the way the prices are falling is very dramatic really. We used to have to rip off the price part of the tag and reprice things more expensive, but now we're re-pricing everything cheaper. Dunnes is as cheap as Penneys in loads of things and matching it in others. Some things are less than half of what they used to be. People can be very attached to their clubcards- it's very popular. 1 in 3/4 customers on average I'd say have one. Even for items that are €1.50= ie. 1 clubcard point, and you ask for the clubcard and they say no and you proceed with the sale and then as soon as it's too late oh wait they found it...and they freak when told it's too late. Over 1 point. Can't see people being happy with a proposed ending of the scheme. People have been reduced to tears if they forget to ask someone for their clubcard too- it's a bit much.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

But if the woman spent her money in Aldi or Lidl she would have saved much more than €29 and she wouldn't have to carry around these ridiculous cards. Con job by Dunnes and Tesco etc. They give you back €1 for every €100 you spend (that's if you remember to bring the card and remember to spend the voucher). They should just do away with the cards and reduce their prices, would make everybodys life simpler.

Those plastic cards are pretty heavy and burdening to your wallet alright:rolleyes:

I cant understand the issue here, the op got 29 euro for nothing, the fact they spent 3000 is irrelevant, they bought goods,it wasnt like they just gave Dunnes 3 grand for nothing, I dont bother with a clubcard in any store as i have no loyalty to them, some stuff i buy in dunnes, some in tesco, some in lidl, depends on whats on offer on what week or if i feel like shopping somewhere different

• Registered Users Posts: 7,405 ✭✭✭fletch

OP = idiot

fletch wrote: »
    OP = idiot

Uncalled for.....Totally

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Lollymcd

I haven't received any vouchers in nearly a year, has anyone else experienced this?

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭blossom180

Lollymcd wrote: »
    I haven't received any vouchers in nearly a year, has anyone else experienced this?
    this just got me thinking,i got none this year either.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭jmbkay

Ring the number on the back of your Dunnes card and give the card number and they'll sort you out. All the best.:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement