Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Billing Problems With O2

• 11-12-2009 6:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭

I signed up for O2 mobile broadband last month, an 18-month contract with 15GB allowance every month. Got my first bill during the week and it was nearly €150. With O2, you must pay a month in advance aswell so I wasn't expecting it to be more than €40 [2 Months X €20 fee]
    Obviously I went over the limit, but there was no message/notification from O2 saying that I was either approaching the 15GB allowance/gone over it and was getting charged for every MB afterwards. Fair enough, but there wasn't even a data tracker in my program. It simply tells you what amount of data you've used for that specific connected time, and resets everytime you disconnect. In our house, the dongle is shared so there's no way to try and estimate the usage when everyone is using it in their own private time.
    There were no instructions in the box as how to try and track your usage.
    When I got such a massive bill, I did research online into how to track data and eventually found that I had to register on the O2 website and could check it there, but that's a month-and-€150 too late. I'm just a bit angry about the whole thing, its not the first time O2 have ripped me off. I wouldn't mind if I went over it anytime after now, because I'm informed and can track it. But, to be given no instructions for tracking data out of the box or given no tracker in the computer program is a bit ridiculous. Surely that's an industry standard? I'm no fool with computers, so imagine the case of a less tech-savvy person. Its just a blatant attempt at ripping people off and I'm sure many people go ahead and just accept it. I would have only for I was told by many to speak up about my dissatisfaction. Again, I don't mind after this month, it'll be my own fault, but I feel like I was led into a money trap and I'd like some form of resolution from O2. You can't empty people's pockets because you're not informing them. That's called a scam.

I'm in the 2nd month of an 18th month contract and I hope it isn't going to be a rocky relationship, hoping someone from O2 can resolve this :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Mobile broadband devices go in the midband forum.

You should ring o2 and ask for the bill shock team to look at your case. You might get a deal with them this once, but technically, they did nothing wrong. You could also ask on the o2 forum, or PM daryll from o2 who is on boards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

King Darragh Doyle told me to post here :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

Healium wrote: »
    I signed up for O2 mobile broadband last month, an 18-month contract with 15GB allowance every month. Got my first bill during the week and it was nearly €150. With O2, you must pay a month in advance aswell so I wasn't expecting it to be more than €40 [2 Months X €20 fee]
    Obviously I went over the limit, but there was no message/notification from O2 saying that I was either approaching the 15GB allowance/gone over it and was getting charged for every MB afterwards. Fair enough, but there wasn't even a data tracker in my program. It simply tells you what amount of data you've used for that specific connected time, and resets everytime you disconnect. In our house, the dongle is shared so there's no way to try and estimate the usage when everyone is using it in their own private time.
    There were no instructions in the box as how to try and track your usage.
    When I got such a massive bill, I did research online into how to track data and eventually found that I had to register on the O2 website and could check it there, but that's a month-and-€150 too late. I'm just a bit angry about the whole thing, its not the first time O2 have ripped me off. I wouldn't mind if I went over it anytime after now, because I'm informed and can track it. But, to be given no instructions for tracking data out of the box or given no tracker in the computer program is a bit ridiculous. Surely that's an industry standard? I'm no fool with computers, so imagine the case of a less tech-savvy person. Its just a blatant attempt at ripping people off and I'm sure many people go ahead and just accept it. I would have only for I was told by many to speak up about my dissatisfaction. Again, I don't mind after this month, it'll be my own fault, but I feel like I was led into a money trap and I'd like some form of resolution from O2. You can't empty people's pockets because you're not informing them. That's called a scam.

I'm in the 2nd month of an 18th month contract and I hope it isn't going to be a rocky relationship, hoping someone from O2 can resolve this :)

No offence OP - but didnt you notice you were using it a lot ?

also, isnt there a 30day trial with O2 mobile broadband ? didnt you try this before you committed to a contract (try before you buy)

I'm an O2 customer for a number of years and while I hate their guts (and also Vodafone) I have no sympathy for you either. This is simply your own fault for not choosing the right broadband package for you. I browse every day on my mobile phone and browse on my laptop for hours on end and my bill doesnt go over my 30GB limit.... I'm guessing you might be downloading from the internet.

How do you want O2 to resolve the issue - YOU made the mistake of not monitoring your usage ....its not their fault if you didnt control YOUR internet usage, just pay the bill....like the rest of us.

Ps. my phone/internet averages €200 per month..... and I struggle to pay every month - but its a requirement for work and I'm self employed.

As I said, the whole house uses it so I don't know what people are using it for or how much they're using

My problem is with them providing nothing out of the box for tracking data. I said it above, surely its an industry standard? My problem is that its my first bill. Any month after this, its completely my own fault for going over. Just dissatisfied that there's nothing from O2 about tracking, out of the box

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Ah come off it! The limit is 15GB thats well advertised. You can't seriously be calling it a scam that O2 charged you when you went over it. It's not O2's job to be keeping track of your useage, I may come across harsh but O2 were 100% right in what they did and you should have been keeping an eye on it.

Your thread title is misleading, there was no billing problem. Quite frankly calling it a scam and saying that O2 ripped you off is out of order.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭McGrath5

15Gb is a quite a high monthly limit, OP what where you doing? Using torrents or streaming films?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

As I said, the whole house uses it so I don't know what people are using it for or how much they're using

My problem is with them providing nothing out of the box for tracking data. I said it above, surely its an industry standard? My problem is that its my first bill. Any month after this, its completely my own fault for going over. Just dissatisfied that there's nothing from O2 about tracking, out of the box

Tough shyte tbh, its on YOU to check your usage, thats like complaining the manufacturer of your car doesnt tell you when you need to put more petrol in it, typical "not my fault" consumer problem, zero sympathy for you. and you can check your usage on the broadband tool itself,its on the Statisics bar ffs

krudler wrote: »
    Tough shyte tbh, its on YOU to check your usage, thats like complaining the manufacturer of your car doesnt tell you when you need to put more petrol in it, typical "not my fault" consumer problem, zero sympathy for you. and you can check your usage on the broadband tool itself,its on the Statisics bar ffs

There isn't a Statistics bar on my program, mine is obviously different to yours

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

There isn't a Statistics bar on my program, mine is obviously different to yours
    Do you not have a MyO2 (or whatever O2 call it) account. This should show you your correct usage. You will get no sympathy here. It's up to you to monitor your usage not O2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭O2_Daryll

If you need any other help from O2 regarding this, cause I think darragh told you to contact me, send me a PM and I will look into it for you.

• Advertisement
Advertisement