Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just wondering

Options
  • 11-12-2009 6:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭

This will probably stir up a hornets nest... or maybe not..

Is there any proactive gun PR to counteract people like, again, George Hook?

I didn't get the full story, he was arguing with Michael Graham (for Taoiseach please). Gist of it a woman on her own shot an intruder in the US with a shotgun, rightly IMO. George blathered on about how WE don't need guns, WE had fellas in balaclavas wandering around with guns shooting people.

Not trying to make a political argument, but this type of crap reflects badly on us as gunowners. As we know you don't need to be involved in something to get some of the sh1t stuck on you in this country.

Semi rant over, off out shooting soon!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭poulo6.5

Semi rant over, off out shooting soon![/quote]

i'm with you on this one . just after reading that makes me want to go home an put on my balaclava and go out and commit murder. the fox's are in for it now:rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭sfakiaman

The problem is that there is a de facto ban on any good news regarding sporting shooting. The deafening silence about the PPC championships where Ireland won twenty odd medals is evidence of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Yeah, but on the other hand, every time we try promoting the sport, we get various NGBs looking to "keep the head down, don't attract attention, don't rock the boat", we keep back names and faces from the press - partly because of personal security worries, partly because we've never done things any other way in the last forty years because of the Troubles - and that costs us. You look at other sports, and what do you see? GAA football, you see Gooch. Golf, you see Padraig or Tiger. Running, you used to see Sonia. Shooting, you see.... nothing. And so when you do see bad news involving gun crime or whatever, that's what's associated with it, because we've villains but no heroes, and all the media understands is villains and heroes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭chem

The airsoft lads are winning the fight. They invite people to events, games and to try it out. We could do with takeing a page from their book.

I was in my local airsoft shop few months back. Owner put on a display for the local IT collage. He showed me a phone book size bundle of applications to join the group!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭ivanthehunter

chem wrote: »
    The airsoft lads are winning the fight. They invite people to events, games and to try it out. We could do with takeing a page from their book.

I was in my local airsoft shop few months back. Owner put on a display for the local IT collage. He showed me a phone book size bundle of applications to join the group!

Yer dead rite there! Prmo of shooting!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭thedragon

Its a bit like vicious dog breeds, take your humble Rottweiler or Doberman or Pitbull, whats the first thing you think of when you hear of these breeds. These breeds are no more dangerous than your humble Labrador but in the wrong hands they can become killing machines. This is true for any breed of dog if given to the wrong people, then the frenzied media take a stab, and what do get. Its no different for guns, its the power of TV and radio and tabloids.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭4gun

Sparks wrote: »
    Yeah, but on the other hand, every time we try promoting the sport, we get various NGBs looking to "keep the head down, don't attract attention, don't rock the boat", we keep back names and faces from the press - partly because of personal security worries, partly because we've never done things any other way in the last forty years because of the Troubles - and that costs us. You look at other sports, and what do you see? GAA football, you see Gooch. Golf, you see Padraig or Tiger. Running, you used to see Sonia. Shooting, you see.... nothing. And so when you do see bad news involving gun crime or whatever, that's what's associated with it, because we've villains but no heroes, and all the media understands is villains and heroes.

I read in some earlier post of yours Sparks that you took up shooting while in college? or some thing along those lines
    how well is shooting promoted in other colleges what about clubs in colleges ....Thinking kinda recruitment policy here next generation sort of thing get more of the inteligencia involved start them early and get them hooked
    ignorance of firearms is the greatest enemy to shooting that we face teach enough of the right people that guns are not the cause of societies ills and who knows what might happen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

George Hook's just a [insert derogatory comment here] and not worth posting about.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

4gun wrote: »
    I read in some earlier post of yours Sparks that you took up shooting while in college? or some thing along those lines
    how well is shooting promoted in other colleges what about clubs in colleges ....Thinking kinda recruitment policy here next generation sort of thing get more of the inteligencia involved start them early and get them hooked
    ignorance of firearms is the greatest enemy to shooting that we face teach enough of the right people that guns are not the cause of societies ills and who knows what might happen

We tend to promote ourselves fairly hard at any opportunity. Unfortunately, currently only Trinity and UCD have rifle clubs. UCC have a DURC graduate about to land with them with ambitions to start something there however, and with any luck, we'll have them in several other colleges in time.

Be under no illusion though that the answer lies solely there, or even in a big way. I've known well-established shooters within these clubs denigrate a variety of larger calibre stuff because they had no personal interest in it, and most will never get interested beyond a basic level, and the vast, vast majority don't keep it up when they graduate. The colleges are a place to get a new generation of target shooters as things stand, but they're certainly not the political answer to the Irish shooting sports' issues.

Also worth bearing in mind is that the college shooters and ex-college shooters you speak with here and those whose roots are in that scene are not necessarily representative of that scene on a wider level. While I'll shoot anything from air guns to rimfires to fullbores and bigbores, rifle, pistol, shotgun, target shooting, hunting, training, coaching, competing, whatever, and while a lot of the other guys here would have a similar breadth of interest, the college shooters by and large don't have the legal intellect of Sparks or IRLConor, or any enthusiasm for hunting like myself. They're a different sort altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭deeksofdoom

chem wrote: »

Come on now! you can hardly compare airsoft to shooting. Airsoft is using toy guns shooting plastic balls. Shooting is firing real guns using live ammunition. There's a little bit more at stake when your talking about inviting people out shooting compared to taking them out playing airsoft.... or wouldn't you think?

• Advertisement

Doesn't matter deeks. Do it, get publicity. Don't do it, no matter what the reason or how good or bad that reason is, don't get publicity.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

marlin vs wrote: »
    George Hook's just a [insert derogatory comment here] and not worth posting about.

As are 99.9% of the media figures here.Strange life forms ,usually a fog horn at one end of a large intestine with an anus on the other end.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭boc121

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055767622

And then we end up like this poor guy:mad:
    Its just not right.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Come on now! you can hardly compare airsoft to shooting. Airsoft is using toy guns shooting plastic balls. Shooting is firing real guns using live ammunition. There's a little bit more at stake when your talking about inviting people out shooting compared to taking them out playing airsoft.... or wouldn't you think?

They seem to get similar $hite from the media/politicians. I seem to remember airsoft players being likened to terrorists in training, similar to the way we get treated as criminals.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

marlin vs wrote: »

Sparks, I should appoligse (hand's up) I just can't stand the man,when he said, I just abhor gun's it just sticks in my mind.Slap on the hand taken.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭happyjack

sfakiaman wrote: »
    The problem is that there is a de facto ban on any good news regarding sporting shooting. The deafening silence about the PPC championships where Ireland won twenty odd medals is evidence of this.

That is so true, I could'nt believe nothing psoitive was written about that, it was a perfect chance to show our sport in a good light, why was it missed?

HJ:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭.243

happyjack wrote: »
    That is so true, I could'nt believe nothing psoitive was written about that, it was a perfect chance to show our sport in a good light, why was it missed?

HJ:)

it wasn't missed by the media,its plain and simple it doesn't sell news papers

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

What we need is a celeb who loves shooting ,or is seen to try it and say they want to take it up.Instant publicity then.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭murph226

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    What we need is a celeb who loves shooting ,or is seen to try it and say they want to take it up.Instant publicity then.

Bang on Griz, there has to be someone out there!

Yeah, but Jesse Ventura isn't really the kind of PR we'd like :D
    More Pierce Brosnan maybe.

• Advertisement

anyone at this stage Sparks, any real suggestions?

That was a real suggestion murph, the man's from Ireland, he's well known for playing James Bond so there's your easy newspaper story tie-in, just get him to give out prizes at a match and there's your PR right there.

As to getting someone to take up the sport and then volunteer for the PR, that's not something you can arrange unless they come to the sport themselves really.

That was a real suggestion murph, the man's from Ireland, he's well known for playing James Bond so there's your easy newspaper story tie-in, just get him to give out prizes at a match and there's your PR right there.

As to getting someone to take up the sport and then volunteer for the PR, that's not something you can arrange unless they come to the sport themselves really.

Fair enough, but there must be some Irish celeb actively involved in some form of shooting that would be willing to promote Irish shooting as a whole?

None I know of, but if anyone does...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

I know of none either but someone springs to mind.
    Bit far fetched but Jack Charlton is big into shooting. Used to have a programme called Jacks Game. I know he's not Irish but it would be good person to get(even though ya probably wouldnt have a chance).

Suppose he's called "An Honoury Irishman"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Daniel Day Lewis was going to come to the range in Rathdrum but work called him away. He lives in the area and is involved in the local athletics and fishing clubs (the fishing club uses part of the Rathdrum range as a clubhouse).

We're still hopeful, but nowadays he spends half his time in New York because his kids go to school there.

He'd be a dose of good news for the black powder enthusiasts :D

DanielDayLewis2.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭xesse

;)
    Today FM ... Ray Darcy holds like a challenge every now and then for his program
    the concept is are males better than females
    they had like reverse parking and spelling etc etc....
    maybe they could try olympic pistol shooting???
    they would get a week training and then a 40 shot match and we get a week of publicity
    just an idea......

They'd win.
    Women have a fairly well-acknowleged advantage in most of the olympic disciplines bar prone rifle because of physiological and psychological factors.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭xesse

i think you missed the point i was trying to make:confused::confused::confused:
    They'd win.
    Women have a fairly well-acknowleged advantage in most of the olympic disciplines bar prone rifle because of physiological and psychological factors.

Advertisement