Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irishness a weakness???

Options
  • 11-12-2009 7:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 37

I'm through to the final round interview with one of the large investment banks on Monday so I rang a relation of mine for some advice.

I mentioned during the conversation that I was a bit put off at the assessment centre last week because everyone else was from one of the top U.K. universities (Oxford, Cambridge etc.) and I'm currently studying for my masters in DCU having done my undergrad. in UCD. He told me that alot of these big companies have a rating system for universities (all the Irish ones being 'bronze' with the exception of Trinity which is 'silver').

He also suggested that if asked what my greatest weakness was that I should say that I don't go to a top school and he went even further to suggest I say that it's the fact I'm Irish! He told me that these big companies have diversity quotients to meet and often look for people from what might be considered nontraditional backgrounds compared to their usual intake.

To clarify this relation is Irish himself, educated in Ireland and has interviewed people for these positions so he knows what he's talking about.

I thought I did really well getting through to the final round now I'm beginning to wonder if I might be the beneficiary of positive discrimination!

Anyone else think experienced anything like this? Think Irishness is a weakness in the international business world?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

gob wrote: »

I thought I did really well getting through to the final round now I'm beginning to wonder if I might be the beneficiary of positive discrimination!

Anyone else think experienced anything like this? Think Irishness is a weakness in the international business world?
    Discrimination is never positive. Anyways, I wouldn't dwell too much on that thought. Just go for it and do your best in the interview, think too much about it and you will lose confidence and it shows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Anyone else think experienced anything like this?

Yes, I have relations that are d!cks too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭loveissucide

Surely coming from a predominantly white,English speaking,rich country would rule the whole diversity bit out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Surely coming from a predominantly white,English speaking,broke country would rule the whole diversity bit out.

FYP ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,580 ✭✭✭✭Sand

They might be disgusted if you play the "poor me" card. Theyll be looking for heartless monsters to help them exploit the 3rd world and the working class, not people obsessed with their own failings.

When an interviewer asks you what your weaknesses are, they are looking for you to give them a reason to not give you the job. Dont give them one. Best advice I got was to explain how, in the past, I had such and such an issue - I addressed it through training or whatever, and now I would no longer consider it a weakness. I.E. turn a weakness into a strength.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Cadiz

TheZohan wrote: »
    Yes, I have relations that are d!cks too.

Ahem, attack the post, not the poster's relatives :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 gob

Surely coming from a predominantly white,English speaking,rich country would rule the whole diversity bit out.

That's what I would have thought. Though having spent time living and working in US and Australia I was surprised at the amount of people that don't think very positively about the Irish at all.

Sand wrote: »
    They might be disgusted if you play the "poor me" card. Theyll be looking for heartless monsters to help them exploit the 3rd world and the working class, not people obsessed with their own failings.

When an interviewer asks you what your weaknesses are, they are looking for you to give them a reason to not give you the job. Dont give them one. Best advice I got was to explain how, in the past, I had such and such an issue - I addressed it through training or whatever, and now I would no longer consider it a weakness. I.E. turn a weakness into a strength.

Exactly what I did in the previous interview. I have no intention of saying being Irish is my weakness but it did get me thinking about how we are considered as a race/nation.

Cadiz wrote: »
    Ahem, attack the post, not the poster's relatives :p
    He's a decent guy and he was just telling me what some people in these companies think; not necessarily his view.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Naos

Discrimination is never positive. Anyways, I wouldn't dwell too much on that thought. Just go for it and do your best in the interview, think too much about it and you will lose confidence and it shows.

Look up the meaning of Positive Discrimination.

Edit: Op - even if the positive discrimination edged it for you, it's more likely your qualifications got you there. Besides, as you're from the rich whiteclass background, it's not exactly the same :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Cadiz

I don't think it is anymore Gob. I don't know about it being a positive either though, I think they've just become more aware of Irish candidates in the last few years.

My sis in an investment banker in the City. At her particular institution they had a thing about UL grads, they recruited a disproportionately high amount of them in the seven years she was there. But they recruited plenty of Nigels and Jeremys from 'top' public schools as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Exactly what I did in the previous interview. I have no intention of saying being Irish is my weakness but it did get me thinking about how we are considered as a race/nation.
    What you have to remember is that national sterotypes that have built up over centuries in other countries filter through and are handed down from generation to generation, so even though you might be a confident educated person and have ticked all the right boxes on the page ,you will still find that your 'Irishness ' will be commented upon at some stage by individuals or groups ,That's being my expierence from time to time . How you react depends on the individual .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

All these Oxford, Cambridge etc educated investment bankers have been doing a great job.

Say the people doing risk analysis for Anglo, were they pure ****e or just ignored? Either way whats the point?

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭whadabouchasir

Sometimes being Irish it can be an advantage when applying for a job.I've heard of one hospital in East london that recently hired 200 Irish nurses.Apparently this is because they get more practical training when in college and so are more sought after than UK nurses.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

That's what I would have thought. Though having spent time living and working in US and Australia I was surprised at the amount of people that don't think very positively about the Irish at all.

Very true , in Australia they seem to think a lot of Irish are thick, possibly comes from the Paddy Irish jokes, but in a interview situation you have the opportunity to put your self across but stereotypes and ignorance do exist even more so from minorities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

well in some places its positive....too have a tolkein irish....

but most of the time being an immigrant is bad enough

Mousey- wrote: »
    well in some places its positive....too have a tolkein irish....

but most of the time being an immigrant is bad enough
    I assume you mean "token" and not the lord of the rings author.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

You didn't go into the interview with a pig under your arm did you?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

I assume you mean "token" and not the lord of the rings author.

Actually the Elvish Irish are well known for their work ethic.

Actually the Elvish Irish are well known for their work ethic.
    They prefer to be caled "little people"

• Advertisement

They prefer to be caled "little people"
    No they dont but their employers prefer to

Latchy wrote: »
    No they dont but their employees prefer to
    So the employees of the elves prefer to be called "Little people".This can't be true as elves are rarely given management positions due to their poor decision making skills and an inability to assert themselves.Unfortunately as a result many elves now find themselves in poorly paid menial factory jobs.

So the employees of the elves prefer to be called "Little people".This can't be true as elves are rarely given management positions due to their poor decision making skills and an inability to assert themselves.Unfortunately as a result many elves now find themselves in poorly paid menial factory jobs.
    Actually my bad ,I ment to say 'Employers ' not Employees :p

Latchy wrote: »
    Actually my bad ,I ment to say 'Employers ' not Employees :p
    Soon the elves will become unionised and then the tables will be turned on these unscrupulous employers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Whenever the fact that I'm from Ireland comes up I treat it as a matter of utter irrelevancy because it is. Works every time.

Soon the elves will become unionised and then the tables will be turned on these unscrupulous employers.
    Yes , Yes, the elves people will revolt

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Naos wrote: »
    Look up the meaning of Positive Discrimination.

Are you implying that there's nothing wrong with it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

I have to admit I never even came close to those circles where it mattered whether I've been to a 'big name' university or any university or the one I've actually been to. Therefore I'm not really qualified to answer this. Me and 99.9% of the other readers here no doubt.

But to me this sounds rather revolting to be frank. Everything about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Naos

eoin wrote: »
    Are you implying that there's nothing wrong with it?

Nope - I'm wondering if Party knew the expression is all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Naos wrote: »
    Nope - I'm wondering if Party knew the expression is all.

I think s/he was just saying that discrimination is discrimination, no matter what spin you put on it.

Advertisement