Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GhostBusters 2016 **SPOILERS FROM POST 1751 ONWARD**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

It's like the move to make The Doctor in Dr Who a woman... why?

Because when timelords can regenerate into pretty much any living creature constantly having The Doctor be a different white male is boring storytelling.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

py2006 wrote: »
    I agree, but they did that in the original too. Prob more accepted back then?

Did you watch the original? While Winston was a small role, it was far from being stereotypical. He was a normal guy looking for a job.

I think race wise the new film is actually worse than the 80s Ghostbusters, which is a shame for a film that is claiming to be progressive.

FunLover18 wrote: »
    They also haven't recast the characters of the original, we're not getting a female Venkman or Egon, they're new characters who happen to be female and Ghostbusters.

The trailer shows a recast in all but name in fairness.

All reboots are treated with worry and often attacked, all male would be no different (maybe less vocal mind) from majority. The is definitely a misogynist slant to a lot of youtube comments etc.
    I repeat, my objection is that I see it as a cynical move but old suited men to generate publicity and cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Drumpot wrote: »
    Both relationships in the Star Wars universe thus far have yielded children at the heart of the stories. I didn't write them so don't blame me.

I don't care if Poe and Finn or Luke are gay but they don't add anything to the narrative. Some people might take Jedi being gay as a suggestion that abstinence Leads to gay. People will always take their own different take on these topics. Questions of sexuality are not needed in the Star Wars universe and have only been in it to further the story. Maybe they will find a relevant way of making a gay story part of the narrative and that's fine.

In fairness Han and Leia hadn't added children to the universe until recently. In the original trilogy their romance served no such purpose and I fail to see why a Poe-Finn romance couldn't add the same humour/tension to the narrative. I can't think of anything the Han-Leia romance brought to the table that was gender specific.

Male films for males, female films for females, is it? That's what it sounds like.

I agree with you to some degree that there needs to be more original content orientated towards females and minorities but I really don't see what's wrong with opening up previously white male dominated properties.

There have been two films, cartoon series and games all with the same characters who happen to be the same men.
    My issue is that they have succeeded in exactly what they aimed, generating publicity.
    It was done for no other reasons as far as I can see. I don't care about females in lead roles, I do care about (what I see as) manipulation by corporate decision. It smacks of that to me.

Now I'm off to buy my wife some mother's day stuff (no corporate manipulation there at all ha)

• Advertisement

In fairness Han and Leia hadn't added children to the universe until recently. In the original trilogy their romance served no such purpose and I fail to see why a Poe-Finn romance couldn't add the same humour/tension to the narrative. I can't think of anything the Han-Leia romance brought to the table that was gender specific.

Honestly, if one of those characters was a woman people would be raving about the chemistry between them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

If they recast Catniss Everdeen as a dude named Karl

The Hungus Games?

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭JohnFalstaff

The "girlpower" image silverharp posted isn't a poster, it's a behind-the-scenes photo tweeted by McCarthy to show the number of women working on a film in a traditionally male-dominated industry. It's not part of the marketing of the film, nor is it part of some scary feminist agenda.

The photo only reinforces in my mind that this film's publicity machine is employing a shallow and ill thought out campaign that looks to hitch the film to some sort of feminist bandwagon.

Judging by that picture, there's no more women working on the film than you'd find on any other movie set. And look at the roles that they are performing - the only one that stands out is a single female grip. The other positions are the ones that are the stereotypical domain of women on set.

If they really were serious about embracing a feminist take on this story, which could have been great, why didn't they bring a female director on board? Or a female DP - lots of good ones out there. Or even a female production designer... or costume designer... The Heads of Department all appear to be male, as usual.

I'm all for Girl Power, but this appears to be the Spice Girls version - a catchy slogan that doesn't hold up to very much scrutiny.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

They also haven't recast the characters of the original, we're not getting a female Venkman or Egon, they're new characters who happen to be female and Ghostbusters.

Yes they have.

McKinnon is the new Egon (she's even styled after his look)
    Wiig and McCarty fill the paranormal scientist roles of Ray and Venkman respectively
    Finally, Jones fills the role of non-scientist black Ghostbuster, Winston

It is a character for character recast. If this was a male cast we'd all be calling it a lazy straight up reboot of the series with zero imagination, but because the lead cast are women we're not allowed to point this out without people claiming we're just being anti-feminist. By extension of that, any criticism of that fairly awful looking trailer is also purely down us being sexist pigs and not because the movie looks terrible.

TBH, I wish people would stop using this "you just can't handle the cast being female" excuse to dismiss any criticism leveled at the movie. Other reboots like Terminator and Robocop received similar criticisms. This isn't about some deep seeded aversion to female actors, it's about a lazy reboot of a loved classic starring some very marmite actors getting criticized for having every existing concern confirmed in the trailer.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

wes wrote: »
    Did you watch the original? While Winston was a small role, it was far from being stereotypical. He was a normal guy looking for a job. .

Oh please!

Well it was more to do with the lesser role for the black actor, he wasn't educated like the others etc etc

• Advertisement

iguana wrote: »
    Because when timelords can regenerate into pretty much any living creature constantly having The Doctor be a different white male is boring storytelling.

So the story of a former warrior of galactical proportions who refutes violence at almost every tun and uses his mind to thwart foes is boring storytelling? Why?

That timelords could swap was only ever alluded to with a throwaway line regarding The Corsair and certain media segments latched onto it. Now it's canon

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭ShakerMaker91

quick question: do people actually like Melissa McCarthy in films?? Most of her roles so far have been her playing the stereotypical fat 'zany' character which generally just involves her screaming loudly and falling over a lot. Do people actually find her entertaining?? The fact that she is actually playing a Ghostbuster makes me very sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Bacchus wrote: »
    Yes they have.

McKinnon is the new Egon (she's even styled after his look)
    Wiig and McCarty fill the paranormal scientist roles of Ray and Venkman respectively
    Finally, Jones fills the role of non-scientist black Ghostbuster, Winston

It is a character for character recast. If this was a male cast we'd all be calling it a lazy straight up reboot of the series with zero imagination, but because the lead cast are women we're not allowed to point this out without people claiming we're just being anti-feminist. By extension of that, any criticism of that fairly awful looking trailer is also purely down us being sexist pigs and not because the movie looks terrible.

TBH, I wish people would stop using this "you just can't handle the cast being female" excuse to dismiss any criticism leveled at the movie. Other reboots like Terminator and Robocop received similar criticisms. This isn't about some deep seeded aversion to female actors, it's about a lazy reboot of a loved classic starring some very marmite actors getting criticized for having every existing concern confirmed in the trailer.

There's no doubt they've used the same blueprint I see little evidence to suggest they're the same characters. Zeddmore wasn't a brash, shouty street wise black character. 'non-black scientist' is not a character description.

As for the McKinnon/Egon comparison, sure they've both got glasses and sticky up hair but I think it's clear from the body language and costumes we've seen that McKinnon is not going to be the nerd of the group. I haven't watched the original in a while but I can't imagine Egon messing around with wigs and hats.

As with 'non-scientist black', ' paranormal scientist' is not a character description it's a job description. The scene in the trailer with Wiig doing the finger point in class indicates to me that she's insecure and wants to be seen as the cool professor, a character we didn't didn't see in the original. I think/hope from the lighter tone and humour on display in the trailer we're not going to get Aykroyd and Murray impressions and we're going to get a different team dynamic.

I have no problem with people thinking this looks ****, people have different tastes and different senses of humour and if I'm wrong about the above and they do end being carbon copies I'll be disappointed like a lot of people but there is no denying that there is a faction who have a problem with the gender swap. Cork_Exile referred to the original franchise as a "male vehicle" and silverharp said "it is essentially a chick flick", it's a concern they themselves have brought up.

This thread makes for incredibly sad reading, the vitriol aimed at the film due to the casting is disgusting. I'd sooner watch any of these four leads over Bill Murray, a man whose ex-wife accused him of  “adultery, addiction to marijuana and alcohol, abusive behavior, physical abuse, sexual addictions and frequent abandonmentâ€. It's sad to see how so many people on her view women, if this had been a film with four male leads there wouldn't be a tenth the criticism and anger. I'm just glad that my little 8 year old brother who loves ghostbusters is excited to see it and has no problem with a female led film. Saying that,isn't it a little bit sad that so many grown men are getting this upset over what is by and large a kids film

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Red King

I hope this bombs. Just another **** Hollywood remake.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,269 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

quick question: do people actually like Melissa McCarthy in films?? Most of her roles so far have been her playing the stereotypical fat 'zany' character which generally just involves her screaming loudly and falling over a lot. Do people actually find her entertaining?? The fact that she is actually playing a Ghostbuster makes me very sad.

Wouldn't say I'm a fan but she's a lot better than you're making out. Spy was one of the funniest films I saw last year and she was great in it imo(though Jason Statham was by far the funniest thing in it)The only film I've seen with her where she actually played the role you're talking about was Bridesmaids, and it was far from awful too.

She was reasonably good in St Vincent too, I think those are the only three films I've seen her in and all three characters were pretty different.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭BMMachine

Melissa McCarthy is the poster girl of that new form of comedy
    You know the one where being annoying is hilarious? Well thats her talent. Shes really really annoying and that is supposed to be hilarious nowadays.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Harika

I like her in Mike & Molly and St. Vincent. The other roles I saw here made me turn off the movie.
    The new trailer is bad and this has nothing to do with the actresses, the humour shown is simply totally overboard and in your face, compared to the dry adult humour of the old movies. In general at this time the humour was similar, while still incorporating stereotypes, what made movies like Gremlins, Back to the future or Predator so lasting.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,373 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

silverharp wrote: »
    its not for me to say who motivated what exactly, but looking at the pix below this looks like they are driving this as a"feminist" movie. So cool , they can have it, but it looks like a movie there is no point taking my son to see because its essentially a chic flick

ghostbusters-cast-and-crew-celebrates-girl-power-with-ellen-degeneres-584914.jpg
    The money men clearly aren't going out of their way to distance themselves from the publicity a simple tweet like this is bringing but what studio would? Every studio is going to do it's damned hardest to bring in as much cash as possible. I honestly see little difference in the studio not clamping down on the fact that an image like that founds it's way into the public domain and a studio releasing a prestige movie in awards season to garner some press and the potential plaudits an oscar nom brings.

The fact that you feel like there's no point in bringing your son to this is a real shame though.

As I said earlier, I really look forward to a day where movies can be made, remade, rebooted using different genders/races as the protagonists and nobody bats an eyelid.

Comments like yours further my belief that we are a long way from reaching that point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

silverharp wrote: »
    So cool , they can have it, but it looks like a movie there is no point taking my son to see because its essentially a chic flick

A chick flick traditionally means a romantic film.

You seem to be using it to mean a film where the main roles are women.

If your reasoning was it doesn't look good I'd understand but your reasoning seems to be, it stars women so my son wouldn't enjoy it? I find that kind of thinking odd.

It's a film about people chasing ghosts. Kids are probably going to love it even if older audience probably won't (as it looks a bit sh*te to me to be honest).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Wouldn't say I'm a fan but she's a lot better than you're making out. Spy was one of the funniest films I saw last year and she was great in it imo(though Jason Statham was by far the funniest thing in it)The only film I've seen with her where she actually played the role you're talking about was Bridesmaids, and it was far from awful too.

She was reasonably good in St Vincent too, I think those are the only three films I've seen her in and all three characters were pretty different.

She really seems to divide people.

Personally she wouldn't draw me to a film but I've seen her in a few things and she's made me laugh a fair bit so I don't get the hatred at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,287 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

faceman wrote: »
    Anyone reckoning that having an all female cast is a gimmick or impacting the quality of the film is very misguided.

Bad scripts, bad acting and bad direction make for a bad movie, not genitals.

Other than that I'm slightly disappointed that we all agree how awful this looks. There's no one to argue with in this thread! :D

Why are people constantly mistaking gimmick as being an inherently bad thing? Or something that will single handedly destroy something? Or that it means that pointing it out means that someone is afraid of people with vaginas?

OF COURSE the gender switch (not all female cast) was a gimmick. The very fact that it was almost the first thing to be announced 2 years ago, before there was even a plot outline, never mind a bloody script, screams GIMMICK!!!

That doesn't mean that in and of itself it's a bad thing and it certainly doesn't mean that a female cast is a bad thing either. Such an idea is idiocy. But many people are going to be uncomfortable with the gender switch because it's forced.

Put it this way, if 'Ghostbusters' (2016) existed in a world where the 1984 version didn't exist, nobody would have batted an eyelid. It would just be a continuation of Paul Feig's work and those that have worked with him in past films. But the original 'Ghostbusters' does exist, which makes this sub par effort (from what we've seen so far) all the more lamentable.

There's been lot of people looking for a 'Ghostbusters' sequel for a long time. Not me personally, because I couldn't care less and I'm frankly astounded that it has such a large fan base. But what they wanted was a continuation of the series with the established cast, which is gone now with one them being brown bread and the rest way too far over the hill.

They didn't want Malissa McCarthy falling over or making fart jokes, even though they probably laughed at that in 'Bridesmaids'. But to them, that just isn't 'Ghostbusters'.

Frankly, I'm more saddened that we have yet another worthless remake/reboot on our hands instead of something original and worthwhile. Feig and his troupe have shown that they can make entertaining comedic films. I rate 'Bridesmaids' quite highly and like Kristen Wiig in what I've seen her in.

But this is just another attempt to suck some dollars out of people by conning them with an already well known title.

Bacchus wrote: »

This thread makes for incredibly sad reading, the vitriol aimed at the film due to the casting is disgusting. I'd sooner watch any of these four leads over Bill Murray, a man whose ex-wife accused him of  “adultery, addiction to marijuana and alcohol, abusive behavior, physical abuse, sexual addictions and frequent abandonmentâ€. It's sad to see how so many people on her view women, if this had been a film with four male leads there wouldn't be a tenth the criticism and anger. I'm just glad that my little 8 year old brother who loves ghostbusters is excited to see it and has no problem with a female led film. Saying that,isn't it a little bit sad that so many grown men are getting this upset over what is by and large a kids film

I'm never getting my wish :( On a certain level I kinda find it funny that the people most hung up about the gender issue and keep bringing it up are people insisting that we should give the movie a break because there's women in it... shouldn't the movie be allowed stand on its own two feet instead of using "but it's progressive" as a crutch.

Maybe the hate is worse on the likes of Twitter but Twitter is a breeding ground for closed minded opinions and hate in 160 characters.

BTW, what has Bill Murray's (fantastic actor) personal life have to do with his movies?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,287 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

They also haven't recast the characters of the original, we're not getting a female Venkman or Egon.

Actually we are and that's part of the problem.

They clearly mirror the original cast:

Abby Yates - Ray Stanz
    Erin Gilbert - Egon Spengler
    Jillian Holtzmann - Peter Venkman
    Patty Tolan - Winston Zeddemore

There's no doubt they've used the same blueprint I see little evidence to suggest they're the same characters. Zeddmore wasn't a brash, shouty street wise black character. 'non-black scientist' is not a character description.

As for the McKinnon/Egon comparison, sure they've both got glasses and sticky up hair but I think it's clear from the body language and costumes we've seen that McKinnon is not going to be the nerd of the group. I haven't watched the original in a while but I can't imagine Egon messing around with wigs and hats.

As with 'non-scientist black', ' paranormal scientist' is not a character description it's a job description. The scene in the trailer with Wiig doing the finger point in class indicates to me that she's insecure and wants to be seen as the cool professor, a character we didn't didn't see in the original. I think/hope from the lighter tone and humour on display in the trailer we're not going to get Aykroyd and Murray impressions and we're going to get a different team dynamic.

I have no problem with people thinking this looks ****, people have different tastes and different senses of humour and if I'm wrong about the above and they do end being carbon copies I'll be disappointed like a lot of people but there is no denying that there is a faction who have a problem with the gender swap. Cork_Exile referred to the original franchise as a "male vehicle" and silverharp said "it is essentially a chick flick", it's a concern they themselves have brought up.

This is getting a little bit pedantic (I blame myself too). I never claimed they were the exact same character. For a start, the original Ghostbusters were all men so unless there's some aging-reversing, gender swapping story kept under wraps, these are different characters :pac:

The issue I have is, to use your own term, that they copied the blueprint of the original characters to the point where they could sue themselves for copyright infringement (if you get me). The objective of the casting & character choices is a clear attempt to replicate the original team. I mean come on, the only non-scientist in this also happens to be black. They're not even trying to hide that they are replicating the original team. Yes, each of the actors will bring something new to the story (not necessarily a good thing from what I've seen in the trailer) but the plan is clear - stick to the formula of the original. To me, that's just lazy and the trailer did nothing to make me think this effort will capture any of the greatness of the originals.

McKinnon looks totally like the nerd (Egon) of the group btw, she's just a 21st century nerd :) FWIW, she's the only character that looks interesting in this.

Bacchus wrote:
    I'm never getting my wish On a certain level I kinda find it funny that the people most hung up about the gender issue and keep bringing it up are people insisting that we should give the movie a break because there's women in it... shouldn't the movie be allowed stand on its own two feet instead of using "but it's progressive" as a crutch.

Maybe the hate is worse on the likes of Twitter but Twitter is a breeding ground for closed minded opinions and hate in 160 characters.

BTW, what has Bill Murray's (fantastic actor) personal life have to do with his movies?

I don't think anyone is hung up on the gender issue, bar those posting horrible comments about it and inferring that the announcing of the female cast before they had a script was part of some agenda. It's not all that uncommon and makes sense,most writers if they are tasked with something such as this would like to go in with some idea of who they are writing it for.

And yes,the film should be judged on its own merits but it's clear from those attacking it that the single biggest sticking point is the female cast.

As for Murray,well judge the art and not the artist but at the same time, it's hard to warm to him considering what an absolute dick he is. A great actor he may be,but I'd sooner watch Mellisa McCarthy fall around than I would Murray phoning it in and cashing a pay check.

I think the trailer for the film looks awful,but I feel the same way about many films made for kids. Ghostbusters may be funny and rather adult at times but it was a film made for 10 year old boys.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,780 ✭✭✭buried

I think the trailer for the film looks awful,but I feel the same way about many films made for kids. Ghostbusters may be funny and rather adult at times but it was a film made for 10 year old boys.

But at least the 1984 film had dry subtle intelligent humour in it that was clearly aimed for adults so they could get something out of it too. Remember Rick Moranis's character 'Louis Tully', lots of funny lines from him that adults would probably only get, cutting on his taxes, that bit at his party where he says to one of the guests "I'm givin' this whole thing as a promotional expense, that's why I invited clients instead of friends. You havin' a good time, Mark?" I can bet there will be no character or humour like that in this loud zany new thing

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Site Banned Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭BMMachine

If I had a kid I would not take them to see it because I wouldnt want them seeing bad things.

As far as a feminist perspective, all they are doing is providing more ammo to those "MRA's" and social misogynists by putting out something of such horrible quality that they can sit there and go "see! feminism ruined Ghostbusters!" Of course they are wrong, sh*tty directors, actors, dialogue, comedy and well, general film making are the problem here.
    I suppose thats what annoys me so much. Not only have they taken a massive steamy dump on Ghostbusters, but they are actively feeding morons sh*t they can throw. Everybody looks bad here

I don't think anyone is hung up on the gender issue, bar those posting horrible comments about it and inferring that the announcing of the female cast before they had a script was part of some agenda. It's not all that uncommon and makes sense,most writers if they are tasked with something such as this would like to go in with some idea of who they are writing it for.

Is that happening on Twitter? Shame on the people who act like that anyway but if it's Twitter, you'll often find the ignorant minority find a voice on there.
    As for Murray,well judge the art and not the artist but at the same time, it's hard to warm to him considering what an absolute dick he is. A great actor he may be,but I'd sooner watch Mellisa McCarthy fall around than I would Murray phoning it in and cashing a pay check.

Fair enough if that affects your viewing pleasure. McCarty is alright but she's no Murray and I hope she shows a bit of the range she had in St. Vincent (opposite Murray) as opposed to fat, sex and fat sex jokes.

A symptom of the time we live in. Ghostbusters may have been a cross generation movie but it was scary as fcuk! That library scene, the demon dogs, the freaky woman at the end, the painting, the ghost stealing the baby, the pink goo coming out of the bath!! From the trailer, this one is a neon spectacle with buckets of slime. I doubt we'll get a single scare like we got in the originals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,324 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

S.M.B. wrote: »
    The money men clearly aren't going out of their way to distance themselves from the publicity a simple tweet like this is bringing but what studio would? Every studio is going to do it's damned hardest to bring in as much cash as possible. I honestly see little difference in the studio not clamping down on the fact that an image like that founds it's way into the public domain and a studio releasing a prestige movie in awards season to garner some press and the potential plaudits an oscar nom brings.

The fact that you feel like there's no point in bringing your son to this is a real shame though.

As I said earlier, I really look forward to a day where movies can be made, remade, rebooted using different genders/races as the protagonists and nobody bats an eyelid.

Comments like yours further my belief that we are a long way from reaching that point.

nothing happens in a vacuum, the current heat is down to identity politics and film studios either being influenced by it or trying to bandwagon the situation. I dont believe that the director found the "4 funniest actors" he could find so I simply hope the customers punish the movie by not seeing it in the numbers they expect.
    I hope that film makers make films from a creative place and not run out of ideas to the point that they need to make forced and gimmicky reboots.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Advertisement