Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GhostBusters 2016 **SPOILERS FROM POST 1751 ONWARD**

Options

Comments

I don't think anyone is hung up on the gender issue, bar those posting horrible comments about it and inferring that the announcing of the female cast before they had a script was part of some agenda. It's not all that uncommon and makes sense,most writers if they are tasked with something such as this would like to go in with some idea of who they are writing it for.

And yes,the film should be judged on its own merits but it's clear from those attacking it that the single biggest sticking point is the female cast.

As for Murray,well judge the art and not the artist but at the same time, it's hard to warm to him considering what an absolute dick he is. A great actor he may be,but I'd sooner watch Mellisa McCarthy fall around than I would Murray phoning it in and cashing a pay check.

I think the trailer for the film looks awful,but I feel the same way about many films made for kids. Ghostbusters may be funny and rather adult at times but it was a film made for 10 year old boys.

As I have stated several times it's the forced and cynical nature of the casting. Nothing wrong with female leads at all (regardless of film type)
    I just don't trust the motivation behind THIS particular film as anything but committee driven marketing ploy

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,269 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    She really seems to divide people.

Personally she wouldn't draw me to a film but I've seen her in a few things and she's made me laugh a fair bit so I don't get the hatred at all.

Personally she would never draw me to a film either, I only went to see Spy because there wasn't anything else on and the critical acclaim it was receiving from most quarters had made me curious. It's nice when a film you have no interest in surprises you when you give it a chance.
    Bacchus wrote: »

A symptom of the time we live in. Ghostbusters may have been a cross generation movie but it was scary as fcuk! That library scene, the demon dogs, the freaky woman at the end, the painting, the ghost stealing the baby, the pink goo coming out of the bath!! From the trailer, this one is a neon spectacle with buckets of slime. I doubt we'll get a single scare like we got in the originals.

Going by the trailer you're probably right unfortunately, but then the level of violence and decent action scenes in Spy were fairly unexpected for me so let's hope they pull a few decent moments out of the hat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Saying that,isn't it a little bit sad that so many grown men are getting this upset over what is by and large a kids film

Neither of the originals were kids films. In fact they had fairly adult themes, including them hinting at Ray getting a blow job from a ghost.

After the movies a cartoon series followed and a range of toys and comics, and a spin off cartoon series, but the original movie was a movie for adults. This new movie is yet another dumbing down, distillation of a great movie franchise. So thats why some people are unhappy.

Winston was a regular joe. He was there for the paycheck. Back in 1984 I dont remember a single reference to him being black. Or a reference to him having "street cred" or any other BS, he was just a regular guy. His replacement is the stereotypical loud Black woman and its cringey. So thats another reason why some people are unhappy.

You quoted two posters who had a problem with the gender of the characters. I, personally, think playing the misogyny card is very lazy stereotyping of people, admittedly predominantly men, who like games, comics and cartoons and cult movies from the 80s. If that sub-segment of people were so misogynistic, Tomb Raider would not have been a hit. Resident Evil would not have had the following it has. The vitriol has nothing to do with the leads being female, apart maybe from one or two small minded people. The vitriol stems from taking a much loved franchise, cheapening it with a gender flip to make it look "modern", which if I was female, I'd be embarrassed about. Ham-fisted references to the original, without any substance. Theres no need for them to copy the car. They could make it their own with a new car. Or they could have 'found' the old one and upgraded it. Instead, like the library ghost at the start of the trailer they vomited over the original material.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,942 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

From what I saw of the trailer it looks like you could swap out certain scenes and shots from the Goosebumps trailer with this one and no-one would tell the difference.

Aside from the fact that it's a terrible "show the whole movie in 90 seconds" trailer, I just have a bad feeling.

The grit of the original arc is gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Boo Radley

Some interesting points here:

"The Ghostbusters trailer has one job. But it may not be what you think..." https://t.co/U0LFRJkSfG

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭BMMachine

She really seems to divide people.

Personally she wouldn't draw me to a film but I've seen her in a few things and she's made me laugh a fair bit so I don't get the hatred at all.

its because shes really annoying, her comedy is to act annoying and she is extremely overrated. thats why people hate her. its 2/3 reasons i hate kevin james, he has the good grace not to be overrated... but instead of that hes just straight up offensive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

That trailer is like the culmination of everything I hate about many modern TV shows and movies. No charm, no empathy or wit and to top it off use the name of a movie I'm sure many of us hold in very high regard with great fondness. Greatness turned into dog doo doo. The Simpsons springs to mind.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,443 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

OK, I'm going to throw out something which might seem radical, perhaps may even be misconstrued as trolling by some. I've thought long and hard about posting this, because my experience with internet discourse has shown that weighing in on this controversial topic can lead to dark places - like the way you don't get into a web debate about politics, religion or The Dark Knight Rises. I apologise if anyone takes offense to this, but I think it's important to put out there. Here it goes.

Is there anything to be said for waiting until the finished film to pass final judgement rather than a 120 second trailer?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

It does appear to be cloning the old movie and it does look dumber but I'll give it a go.
    Is there anything to be said for waiting until the finished film to pass final judgement rather than a 120 second trailer?
    You get out of here and don't come back, you monster.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

You are spoiling the marketers plan to kick up a load of free publicity by annoying idiots with simple tricks and nonsense.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,498 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Absolutely 100% agree, although things are muddied by Hollywood's predilection to screen trailers that amount to a digest, shortened version of the final movie (or at least it feels that way). It's hard not to pass some kind of substantive opinion when you feel you've just watched a broad pass of the final film :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

BMMachine wrote: »
    its because shes really annoying, her comedy is to act annoying and she is extremely overrated. thats why people hate her. its 2/3 reasons i hate kevin james, he has the good grace not to be overrated... but instead of that hes just straight up offensive

I don't find her that annoying personally.

I'm sure there's plenty of people I find annoying that you quite like though. It's almost as if different people have different opinions or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,287 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

OK, I'm going to throw out something which might seem radical, perhaps may even be misconstrued as trolling by some. I've thought long and hard about posting this, because my experience with internet discourse has shown that weighing in on this controversial topic can lead to dark places - like the way you don't get into a web debate about politics, religion or The Dark Knight Rises. I apologise if anyone takes offense to this, but I think it's important to put out there. Here it goes.

:mad:

Outrageous.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭ShakerMaker91

The new outfits are atrocious they look like they're going painting walls or collecting rubbish

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,498 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The new outfits are atrocious they look like they're going painting walls or collecting rubbish

1984 designs make them look like utility / janitorial workers.
    2016 designs make them look like utility / janitorial workers.

:confused:

Tbh, of all the things about the film, the aesthetics and production design were spot on for me, really nailing the 'homemade', hobbyist appearance the Ghostbusters should have.

I don't find her that annoying personally.

I'm sure there's plenty of people I find annoying that you quite like though. It's almost as if different people have different opinions or something.

yeah its like that. its like when people have good taste in something and terrible taste in something. say comedy for instance, where melissa mccarthy would be terrible taste due to her one note "look at me im really annoying" schtick or say good taste would be Alan Partridge: Alpha Papa

yeah its like that. its like when people have good taste in something and terrible taste in something. say comedy for instance, where melissa mccarthy would be terrible taste due to her one note "look at me im really annoying" schtick or say good taste would be Alan Partridge: Alpha Papa

Or like say somebody could enjoy both those examples and blow your tiny little mind!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

I like Ghostbusters, I do not like Melissa McCarthy (at all). The type of film she stars does not appeal to me and rather than making a new Ghostbusters film, it just likes like a Melissa McCarthy film.

I will watch this at some stage for the same reason I watched Terminator Genisys (to see how bad it really turns out), but will not pay money to see it in the cinema.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Perhaps slightly OTT since he hasn't seen the full movie?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

tdy_tren_ghostbusters_150826.today-inline-vid-featured-desktop.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

quick question: do people actually like Melissa McCarthy in films?? Most of her roles so far have been her playing the stereotypical fat 'zany' character which generally just involves her screaming loudly and falling over a lot. Do people actually find her entertaining?? The fact that she is actually playing a Ghostbuster makes me very sad.

She was fine in Gilmore Girls. Occasionally annoyingly quirky, thought that was true for most GG characters. I haven't liked the comedy roles she has taken since then. It's all obvious 'jokes' and gross out humour (often based on her weight) with no real wit or cleverness to it.

Or like say somebody could enjoy both those examples and blow your tiny little mind!

oh they could, but Melissa McCarthy remains terrible and annoying. It is possible to have both good and bad tastes, thats taste. but this is quality and McCarthy lacks that in spades.

unless you think being really loud and annoying is funny

py2006 wrote: »
    Perhaps slightly OTT since he hasn't seen the full movie?

Thunderf00t is not a credible source for anything ever. A misogynist disguising himself as an intellectual. He provides nothing but a negative impact on the world and is a horrible little man.

The exact type of cretin I feared would be all over Ghostbusters like a rash :s

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭Arturo Bandini

Thunderf00t is not a credible source for anything ever. A misogynist disguising himself as an intellectual. He provides nothing but a negative impact on the world and is a horrible little man.

The exact type of cretin I feared would be all over Ghostbusters like a rash :s

How exactly is he a misogynist? I listen to a lot of his work so I'm unsure what you're basing this on. Does opposing feminism equal misogyny? I'm not saying that's what you're implying, but I do know a lot of people who use that kind of logic.

How exactly is he a misogynist? I listen to a lot of his work so I'm unsure what you're basing this on. Does opposing feminism equal misogyny? I'm not saying that's what you're implying, but I do know a lot of people who use that kind of logic.

oh no, thats exactly what im implying. Hes a bigoted misogynist masquerading as an intellectual. Ive seen a few of his videos, I've met a few of his 'fans' - horrible c*nts all. they all have that same approach too - "its not bigotry or misogyny, feminism is just wrong and I'm being logical".

The+only+magazine+i+subscribe+to+credit+to+tumblr_cac326_4607848.jpg
    anyone you know?

oh they could, but Melissa McCarthy remains terrible and annoying. It is possible to have both good and bad tastes, thats taste. but this is quality and McCarthy lacks that in spades.

unless you think being really loud and annoying is funny

Well I have laughed at her antics in some films (although not in all of hers that I've seen) so perhaps I do. I've never really given it much thought - although I enjoy how annoyed she makes you. :)

Well I have laughed at her antics in some films (although not in all of hers that I've seen) so perhaps I do. I've never really given it much thought - although I enjoy how annoyed she makes you. :)

yeah i can't stand sh*t things being overrated then being looked at as an alien if I say so.

Marvel movies (the use of the phrase 'Marvelverse' or 'MCU') - a bunch of 4/10, 5/10 movies hyped to f**k
    Deadpool - awful movie with a good character
    Melissa McCarthy - covered. loud and annoying isn't funny, if you think it is - sort yourself out
    Adele - christ. the Queen of Overrated
    any bands like Mumford and Sons and the like - crap on a stick, somehow told they are acceptable. Nickleback levels yet they are the only ones that cop any heat for being awful.
    what else annoys the piss out of me.... oh, buses... and slow drivers sitting in the fast lane like a giant egg f**k.
    'Reimagining' old films like Total Recall and Robocop (oh and hey, ghostbusters. thats two!).
    The Amazing Aethiest and Thunderf00t - social cancer who should be beaten, bullied and burned.
    ummmm, im sure theres more.

so there ya go, take your pick there. thats your enjoyment

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Does opposing feminism equal misogyny.

Doesn't it?

FunLover18 wrote: »
    Doesn't it?

nah if you listen to thunderf00t he will very clearly tell you how you can hide your bigotry and irrational fear of feminism behind a shield of supposed logic and intellectualism. its a pretty good system. its like, you can say things (you know, things that annoy you like i just did) and you dont have to be afraid of looking like a d1ck. best thing is, theres loads of people like that too so you can give off the appearance of being right without fear as there will be someone to back you up.
    Its like those guys who play with my little ponies. loads of them do it so its okay and not at all a form of social and cultural poison which should be eliminated via chemical castration

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,373 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Is Melissa McCarthy even that loud? And does she do that much physical comedy?

I've never watched Mike and Molly so maybe that's where she gets the reputation but I've enjoyed most things I've seen her in.

She's got pretty decent comic timing and I think she could do really well for herself if she distanced herself from this persona.

Advertisement