Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GhostBusters 2016 **SPOILERS FROM POST 1751 ONWARD**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

I'm not as down on Paul Feig as BMMachine but I'm reminded of this video and specifically where it compares the direction in The Heat (Paul Feig) to Hot Fuzz (Edgar Wright).

I liked the idea of an all girl Ghostbusters from the start but can you imagine a truly great director like Edgar Wright being behind it. Not only for great visual comedy but action and scares too.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,942 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

ricero wrote: »
    Looks dreadful hope it flops and hollywood learns a lesson

Hah! Good one.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭ShakerMaker91

WOW Melissa McCarthy wielding a proton punch that's both totally awesome and funny at the same time...

The new trailer has confirmed to me that this movie is just full of unfunny jokes and it seems that all of Leslie Jones bits in the film revolve around her being black

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

I had some goodwill towards the first trailer. That is all gone for the second one.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

It's sad when the best part of a trailer is the banner ad that popped up in it. Ironically enough, the film comes across as incredibly soulless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,287 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Bacchus wrote: »
    That trailer is slightly better, though I still find Leslie Jones annoying (further evidence of her just shouting her way through the movie and using the colour of her skin as a punchline).

Also, LOL at the updated text at the start... it's now "30 years ago, four friends..." as opposed to "four scientists". At least someone on the production is listening to the feedback :)

Why bother though?

This film takes place in a different universe by all accounts and the guys from the original have cameos as different people.

So it's utterly pointless even mentioning it, never mind "updating" it.

This just screams out the fact that they haven't a clue how to make this picture and it's a bloody mess.

I think Landis might be correct. He was working on a script, when Feig walked into Sony 2 years ago and went "Women!". Sony were sold on the idea. I'd say because of the success of 'Bridesmaids', etc. But, unfortunately, Feig and crew have this all arseways, by the looks of things.

Mentioning the lads from the real film sounds like they're trying to con people into thinking that this is 'Ghostbusters 3' and not a lazy ripoff.

As Leslie would say, "Aw Hells no!"

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭WoolyJumper

To be honest rebooting a movie that is a childhood favourite is never going win over those that grew up with the original. It's never going to recapture that "magic" that you felt when you watched as a kid and its not going to bring back a feeling of nostalgia. People want the movie to recapture that feeling when they first so the original and that is never going to happen, so its never going to live up to what they hope. Now unfortunately this movie is going to come under so really undue criticism. As we can see from the trailer reaction people are going to be nitpicking ever little detail and looking for reasons not to like it. I mean already its been ripped apart and we only seen a 2 min trailer. A trailer that would otherwise be fine and a lot of people would think was funny.

I'm personally glad they did do a gender switch. For me that stops the movie feeling like a recreation and allows it to go in a different direction and allow the characters to have different dynamics. I think if it was 4 guys, it would too easy to try and compare and obviously wouldn't live up to the original. For what its worth, I'm a big fan of Wiig and Mckinnon. I think they are the best things to come out of SNL in recent years. McKinnon is probably the only funny thing on that show now. I also liked Melissa McCarthy in spy and heat. I dont know anything about the other one. But you've got a solid cast, who are naturally funny and have worked well together in one way or another before so that is giving me hope that it will still be a funny and enjoyable movie. I just have to give it a chance and not go into it with the exceptions from the old movie.

As for the reaction to just the trailer alone, its both sad and laughable. Those youtube video reactions are cringe worthy. The original will always be there, its not going away and childhood wont be erased either.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Notavirus.exe

I'm not a sexist but the fact that the main characters are women and not men like the other films just ruins it for me.

I have nothing against female casts. I just like tradition.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

To be honest rebooting a movie that is a childhood favourite is never going win over those that grew up with the original.

Yeah, nobody liked the recent Mad Max or Star Wars movies.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Tony EH wrote: »
    This film takes place in a different universe by all accounts and the guys from the original have cameos as different people.

What?! Is this verified? I always thought this was essentially Ghostbusters 3, a continuation of the original films but with a new team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Q_Ball

Bacchus wrote: »
    What?! Is this verified? I always thought this was essentially Ghostbusters 3, a continuation of the original films but with a new team.

The 2009 game was GhostBusters 3 according to Dan. I'll dig up a link to it when I get to work. It was only in the news yesterday, probably on empire.

Q_Ball wrote: »
    The 2009 game was GhostBusters 3 according to Dan. I'll dig up a link to it when I get to work. It was only in the news yesterday, probably on empire.

You're right. It was stated at the time it came out. Christ that was 2009???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

What if they'd kept them as dudes but three of them were black and one was white?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

I'm not a sexist but the fact that the main characters are women and not men like the other films just ruins it for me.

Is this tongue in cheek?

Sexism by definition is gender discrimination therefore thinking that Ghostbusters shouldn't be female is sexist.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,443 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

FunLover18 wrote: »
    Is this tongue in cheek?

Sexism by definition is gender discrimination therefore thinking that Ghostbusters shouldn't be female is sexist.

Don't be silly. Everybody knows that 'I'm not xxxist but...' is one of the great debating trump cards, ensuring that no matter how seemingly xxxist the comments that follow are, they are most defiantly not xxxist despite any appearances to the contrary.

**** it. The cast is the cast, gimmck or no.

Pros: Wiig is very good. Stupid facial expressions aside, McKinnon's looks good too and seems to be embracing role.
    Cons: McCarthy is pigeonholed but LOVE that proton punch!!
    Leslie Jones character is horrible stereotypical shouty black uneducated woman.
    Overtly sexist workplace shown in lighthearted manner cause it's Hemsworth

The trailer itself makes the film look very weak with none of the scares/tension/humour of source. Too many nods to source, really needs to be its own film.
    The effects look wonderfully rendered (except the proton cannons??) but the design is way off for me. To bright and cartoony

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭ShakerMaker91

one thing I can thank this monstrosity of a film for is its after making me want to watch the originals again

• Registered Users Posts: 9,373 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

one thing I can thank this monstrosity of a film for is its after making me want to watch the originals again

One thing I can thank it for is that it's making it easy for me to have a 5 minute chat with anybody and it will inform me if I've any need to ever talk to them again or not.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Second Toughest in_the Freshers

seen on facebook
    "Who Ya Gonna Call?"
    Asks the trailer for the new Ghostbusters movie.....
    "Dan Akroyds Lawyer" i shout at the screen while waving a clenched fist.

Can we all just agree that this movie... Has no dick?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

Glad to see the Michelin man got a makeover.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

GreNoLi wrote: »
    Glad to see the Michelin man got a makeover.

Staypuft Marshmallow Man are you thinking of?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

• Site Banned Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭BMMachine

http://www.avclub.com/article/leslie-jones-ghostbusters-role-was-originally-writ-233550

Oh look, the role of Leslie Jones' character was meant to go to Melissa McCarthy. Shocking to think that a big loud annoying character was cast with McCarthy in mind isn't it.

but I suppose she does have comic timing......

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

tbh the more i see of this the LESS i like it.

i just CANT get past the fuking ghosts looking like neon glow sticks.

one or two lookin like that i can take but by the looks of the trailer its all of em.

i mean one of the benefits of a remake/reboot is you can take advantage of technological advances.

as it is the taxi driver ghost from 1 pisses all over these lads from a great height.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Just watched the opening 12mins of the original there and I am laughing.

From the off, there are 3 great characters. The sarcastic dry wit of Bill Murray is fantastic (none of the slap in the face humour). The opening scene with the library is genuinely eerie, the music and old fashioned library add to it. It was something I found genuinely scary and a blast when I was a kid.

Also, the scene were the 3 confront the library ghost is hilarious and the ghost effect still looks good today.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Interestingly, the librarian from the original is still with us. I wonder will she have a cameo! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭conorhal

e_e wrote: »

He said while counting a huge mountian of cash......

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭conorhal

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Staypuft Marshmallow Man are you thinking of?

That's the one! He was told he needed to slim down for the role but made the mistake of taking weigh loss advice from Victoria Beckham's dietician.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

That Leslie Jones "thang" is a horrific thang.

Again not leaving the joke alone ... pushing a pull door = a snigger, granted ... " I always do that" = groan.

Ghosts are way too bright, it's hard to focus on the faces when their bodies are just a blinding blue and white.

Kudos on adding the Slimer sound effect though.

Advertisement