Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GhostBusters 2016 **SPOILERS FROM POST 1751 ONWARD**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

razorblunt wrote: »
    Again not leaving the joke alone ... pushing a pull door = a snigger, granted ... " I always do that" = groan.

I don't mind the tag on the joke but the whole gag itself is lifted from this well known Farside cartoon:

midvale.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Ha, that was the first thing to pop into my head as well actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Finally watched the trailer, agreed the jokes a very dated and Leslie Jones character is so typecast (probably the wrong word)

Thought Melissa and Kristen characters were bland and boring, hell they even managed to make Chris hemsworth look robotic in the 2 seconds of screen time by just kicking a door

Only good things, slimer looks well designed in the CGI, only ghost that looks good
    Liked the theme remix and I like Kate mckinnon's character (minus the gun licking, a bit oot) I think she would be a good character with a better cast

That's my opinion anyway, others might disagree

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

Hococop wrote: »
    Finally watched the trailer, agreed the jokes a very dated and Leslie Jones character is so typecast (probably the wrong word)

Thought Melissa and Kristen characters were bland and boring, hell they even managed to make Chris hemsworth look robotic in the 2 seconds of screen time by just kicking a door

Only good things, slimer looks well designed in the CGI, only ghost that looks good
    Liked the theme remix and I like Kate mckinnon's character (minus the gun licking, a bit oot) I think she would be a good character with a better cast

I'm unsure whether you're sexist or not.

Others will be along later to let you know for sure.

Hococop wrote: »

To be fair, Hemsworth had the same look as McCarthy when she was possessed so assuming he gets controlled at some point

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

To be fair, Hemsworth had the same look as McCarthy when she was possessed so assuming he gets controlled at some point

Good call didn't think of that, also just watched the international trailer, still doesn't improve his character, him designing the logo was just too silly

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭ShakerMaker91

Anyone who criticizes this film is a massive sexist women hater so just shut up and accept this great foward thinking movie is happening it's got Ghostbusters licking their weapons for no reason whatsoever, blue neon ghosts and Melissa McCarthy getting slapped around by a loud black women what more do you people possibly want?? (sarcasm)

• Site Banned Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭BMMachine

(sarcasm)

ruined

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Anyone who criticizes this film is a...

Anyone who criticises this film without seeing it is an eejit. Can we at least agree on that?

Applies to all films

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Dodge wrote: »
    Anyone who criticises this film without seeing it is an eejit. Can we at least agree on that?

Applies to all films

Yes. However, the ad does give us a flavour of what to expect. The 3 or 4 jokes/gags we see in the ads are fairly lazy and poor by comparison to the clever whit of the actors in the original.

But yes, final opinion comes after seeing the movie.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭BMMachine

Applies to all films

nope. Im going to call it a bag of ass without seeing it

py2006 wrote: »
    Yes. However, the ad does give us a flavour of what to expect. The 3 or 4 jokes/gags we see in the ads are fairly lazy and poor by comparison to the clever whit of the actors in the original.

But yes, final opinion comes after seeing the movie.

Trailers are meant to entice me to see a film, which cost a lot of money, during my limited recreation time.
    There is nothing wrong with discounting a film without seeing it.
    Having an opinion on the quality of the film overall, without seeing it, is silly however.
    Having an view that it "Looks terrible" is perfectly valid

Applies to all films

Nope this film will be terrible

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Things gone a bit quiet on the aul 'Busters front. I wonder are they redoing any scenes etc or is it too late?

py2006 wrote: »
    Things gone a bit quiet on the aul 'Busters front. I wonder are they redoing any scenes etc or is it too late?

The marketing team announced a working proton pack, for April fools... They should just have re-released the trailer

• Registered Users Posts: 18,324 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

one of the reasons the marketing has been quiet is that Sony must be bricking themselves as the sequel to Bridesmaids I mean Ghostbusters didn't seem to go down too well on the old Youtube!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Jesus, they recycled so many worn out jokes that they couldn't get away from the "smart white folk and their street smart sassy black tag-along" stereotype.

Anyone involved in BvS must be saying "at least this wasn't us".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Its a sad state of the times where criticising this movie gets you labelled a misogynist. Comicbookgirl19 summed up exactly how I feel about this movie.

Sony probably got together with Paul Feig and basically came up with a Bridesmaids sequel as the first one done well and they probably said "you know what fu*k it throw the Ghostbusters logo on it as well that will make us a few more pound"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 803 ✭✭✭jungleman

The original Ghostbusters was a terrible movie. Everything about it sucked; it was unfunny, the special effects were lousy, it was crass, and the "token" black character was just there to be sassy. The movie was so bad that everyone was taking the piss out of it all over the world.

SNL come along and make a skit of the movie. The skit is that they repackage the jokes, but make them worse. Unfunnier. Totally lame. Worst jokes ever.

This is how the trailer comes across to me. Like the movie is one giant SNL skit of a shít film. I couldn't care less that it's an all female cast, but it just looks desperately unfunny. SASSY BLACK WOMAN SCREAMING THINGS. GOO IN MY HAIR. THAT'S GONNA LEAVE A MARK. HAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Did they really have to remake this film? Really?

syklops wrote: »
    Its a sad state of the times where criticising this movie gets you labelled a misogynist. Comicbookgirl19 summed up exactly how I feel about this movie.

Simply criticising the trailer doesn't get you labelled a misogynist, that's just for the people who are posting horrible, hate filled things about the female cast. By all means criticise the film but first actually watch the film and secondly, try and do it in an adult manner that does not simply rely on you calling the cast "cunts" or crying about how "they've raped my childhood". I have no expectations for the film, the trailer looks rather poor and I'm not expecting much but I'm going to go to it with an open mind and hope for the best. Notice that many of the people screaming the loudest about how awful it is that critics were writing Batman Vs Superman off before they saw it.

jungleman wrote: »
    The original Ghostbusters was a terrible movie. Everything about it sucked; it was unfunny, the special effects were lousy, it was crass, and the "token" black character was just there to be sassy. The movie was so bad that everyone was taking the piss out of it all over the world.

SNL come along and make a skit of the movie. The skit is that they repackage the jokes, but make them worse. Unfunnier. Totally lame. Worst jokes ever.

This is how the trailer comes across to me. Like the movie is one giant SNL skit of a shít film. I couldn't care less that it's an all female cast, but it just looks desperately unfunny. SASSY BLACK WOMAN SCREAMING THINGS. GOO IN MY HAIR. THAT'S GONNA LEAVE A MARK. HAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Maybe a bit harsh on the original, but I do think that how poorly some of these remakes are going over shows that the bar for quality in movies demanded from audiences is simply a lot higher than it was in the 70s or 80s (there's just so much more choice and competition nowadays). With a lot of them, I imagine had the originals only been released in recent times they would probably not be getting savaged as much, but would not be well received either.

Winston wasnt a sassy character, he was just a regular joe, and his colour was never once referenced in the movie. Why should it be? This reboot/remake bleurgh, manages to condense all Hollywood-black stereotypes into a single character and vomits it out at every opportunity. "Y'all know science but I know the street". :rolleyes: FYI idiot movie execs, African-Americans from New York dont sound like they are from the deep south, they tend to sound like they are from New York.

Billy86 wrote: »
    Maybe a bit harsh on the original, but I do think that how poorly some of these remakes are going over shows that the bar for quality in movies demanded from audiences is simply a lot higher than it was in the 70s or 80s (there's just so much more choice and competition nowadays). With a lot of them, I imagine had the originals only been released in recent times they would probably not be getting savaged as much, but would not be well received either.

Ha, I wasn't dissing the original. The original is a classic. I was just saying the new film comes across like it's taking the piss out of the original, if the original was a terrible movie. It's like Podge & Rodge ripping it out of Donna and Joe that time.

Winston wasnt a sassy character, he was just a regular joe, and his colour was never once referenced in the movie. Why should it be? This reboot/remake bleurgh, manages to condense all Hollywood-black stereotypes into a single character and vomits it out at every opportunity. "Y'all know science but I know the street". :rolleyes: FYI idiot movie execs, African-Americans from New York dont sound like they are from the deep south, they tend to sound like they are from New York.

That's the point I was making though. My original comment was saying imagine if the original was a terrible movie, and Winston was a sassy black character etc. The trailer is like SNL were taking the piss out of a crap movie.

Winston was probably the most intelligent character from the originals. And now his "role" is being filled by such a blatant stereotype, which is super annoying.

I'm white and I find Leslie Jones's character offensive "I DONT KNOW BOUT THESE SCIENCE THANGS BUT I CAN BORROW A CAR FROM MA UNCLE FOR Y'ALL SMART WHITE FOLK"

Ha, I wasn't dissing the original. The original is a classic. I was just saying the new film comes across like it's taking the piss out of the original, if the original was a terrible movie. It's like Podge & Rodge ripping it out of Donna and Joe that time.

It was a classic for it's time and still has a bunch of charm (and some of the best chemistry ever in my opinion between the main four, which I feel had a big role in it's success), I just feel if the original were brought out today (and updated for the times of course) having never been released in the 80s, it would get a bit of 'meh, it's pretty decent' response than what it did back then.

Also, why did Venkman have roofies or whatever to subdue the possessed woman in the original? He was meant to be going on a date with her... who brings date rape drugs on a date!? :p

Billy86 wrote: »
    Also, why did Venkman have roofies or whatever to subdue the possessed woman in the original? He was meant to be going on a date with her... who brings date rape drugs on a date!? :p

What?

• Advertisement

What?
    300cc's of thorazine.

Who the f*** brings that on a date!? :pac:

Advertisement