Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GhostBusters 2016 **SPOILERS FROM POST 1751 ONWARD**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Finally a good trailer! Not one joke falls flat, and it doesn't have the AWFUL "is it a race thing or a lady thing?" line.

International Trailer #2.

Sadly that line is going to be in the movie regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

I wonder if they did a reshoot/changes after the backlash from the original trailer.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

py2006 wrote: »
    I wonder if they did a reshoot/changes after the backlash from the original trailer.

Reshooting the movie to replace the women with dudes would be very expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,745 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Yeah the race/lady line is in the second US trailer anyway.

This is a better trailer, but it still doesn't look like a good movie. It just feels like they're borrowing a beloved property to make money, it feels cold and heartless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Reshooting the movie to replace the women with dudes would be very expensive.

I wasn't suggesting that. I meant adding scenes/removing scenes or re doing certain scenes etc

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

py2006 wrote: »
    I wasn't suggesting that. I meant adding scenes/removing scenes or re doing certain scenes etc

Sorry, I know you weren't. I meant in terms of the backlash as a whole that's what they would have had to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭ShakerMaker91

I think from the second trailer its obvious what kind of film Paul Fieg wanted to make: basically a bridesmaids meets the haunted mansion type mash up with the Ghostbusters license veneered on top

I still cant believe Sony gave him Ghostbusters as they surely must have known what he was going to do with it which was basically make it a clone of all his other films

• Registered Users Posts: 19,287 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Sadly that line is going to be in the movie regardless.

It's gas. Everyone talking about how "good" a new trailer is because it's slightly less awful than what came before.

All the other crap we've seen in other areas is still going to be in this soulless drivel.

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭WoolyJumper

I think its gas how much hate there is for this movie to the point were its the most down voted trailer on youtube when its far from the worst movie ever made. After seeing the second trailer I think it looks quiet good. The problem is people have decided they hate this movie regardless, whether its good or whether it will be just middle of the road. It's gotten far more hate than is warranted. Question is why is that? There have been far worse remakes of much better movies in the past.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I was interested when I saw the cast. I knew it was a good possibility it was going to be very funny, but the jokes in the ads are appalling. I'll be giving this a miss, looks very much like one of the many remakes on the bad side of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,287 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

I think its gas how much hate there is for this movie to the point were its the most down voted trailer on youtube when its far from the worst movie ever made. After seeing the second trailer I think it looks quiet good. The problem is people have decided they hate this movie regardless, whether its good or whether it will be just middle of the road. It's gotten far more hate than is warranted. Question is why is that? There have been far worse remakes of much better movies in the past.

Because, from what we've seen already, it looks terrible.

It's not rocket science.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭BMMachine

2 reasons-
    * Some people have standards

* Some people hate seeing women doing things they think men should

unfortunately the two aren't related

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

BMMachine wrote: »
    2 reasons-
    * Some people have different standards

* Some people hate seeing women doing things they think men should

unfortunately the two aren't related

FYP :p

Yeah it's a bit of a mystery why this film in particular has provoked so much outrage. Hollywood has been doing bad remakes and reboots for years. Devin Faraci wrote an article suggesting it's soft sexism. It's part of it, but I think it goes deeper than that. There's a crisis in movie nerdom brought on by the realisation that nerds no longer have cultural ownership of traditional geek franchises. Ghostbusters doesn't belong to them and whether they go see it or not makes no difference because it's not aimed at them. Hollywood is just exploiting the brand name to make a female-centric comedy for fans of Bridesmaids. This is infuriating for movie nerds, not necessarily because they are sexist, but because they feel powerless to do anything about it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,497 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I think there's a groundswell of noisy anti-SJW/PC types lurking around the internet who have become increasingly emboldened by the media's reporting of their Neanderthal antics (eg. Gamergate), whereas previously they would have been ignored while the world kept spinning & moving on from their world.. Somehow, Ghostbusters has grown into a bit of a rallying cry for their perceived cause; that the cultural dominion of the straight-white-male is no longer absolute. The poor pets. What a world we live in a world where those pesky feminists have even managed to take over our fictional, traditional blue-collar jobs! :rolleyes:

Not that I think this Ghostbusters film looks good: those two new trailers have done nothing for me, and the humour looks as awkward and half-baked as ever. It's not uncommon for trailers to use different takes than the final product, so I really hope this is the case here because some of the line-readings in these trailers are really bad. And it's not like the cast don't know how to rattle off a funny or two - they're all funny women.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,324 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

it just looks like a bad movie compared to the original. Star Wars is female led and no backlash , there have been reboots like the Karate kid or Robocop and they were so so movies and probably nobody cared that much for the originals anyway. here they have taken a movie where it looks like the fans wanted at least a passing of the torch from the originals in some way and they are not getting it plus the style of humor is more slap stick and the special effects look weak

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

pixelburp wrote: »
    I think there's a groundswell of noisy anti-SJW/PC types lurking around the internet who have become increasingly emboldened by the media's reporting of their Neanderthal antics (eg. Gamergate), whereas previously they would have been ignored while the world kept spinning & moving on from their world.. Somehow, Ghostbusters has grown into a bit of a rallying cry for their perceived cause; that the cultural dominion of the straight-white-male is no longer absolute. The poor pets. What a world we live in a world where those pesky feminists have even managed to take over our fictional, traditional blue-collar jobs! :rolleyes:

Not that I think this Ghostbusters film looks good: those two new trailers have done nothing for me, and the humour looks as awkward and half-baked as ever. It's not uncommon for trailers to use different takes than the final product, so I really hope this is the case here because some of the line-readings in these trailers are really bad. And it's not like the cast don't know how to rattle off a funny or two - they're all funny women.

This would make more sense if there also wasn't a load of female YouTube reviewers also calling out this totally unsubtle Girl Power resurgence as too in your face.
    They want women to organically be part of the team (as they should be) as opposed to any fair or unfair perceived message.

It's a pity because Wiig is funny, in a slight cringe way, which would have lent to this.

Don't think anyone would have batted an eyelid had the team been mixed genders and colours.
    Still think that these trailers (and the emails which leaked) would still have been hated though. They really are pants.
    The originals worked for me because they mixed tone from horror to slapstick to deadpan wit in a single scene. This is forcing the comedy

silverharp wrote: »
    it just looks like a bad movie compared to the original. Star Wars is female led and no backlash , there have been reboots like the Karate kid or Robocop and they were so so movies and probably nobody cared that much for the originals anyway. here they have taken a movie where it looks like the fans wanted at least a passing of the torch from the originals in some way and they are not getting it plus the style of humor is more slap stick and the special effects look weak

Star Wars screwed up though by pushing Finn as the lead, prerelease, to the point where people are expecting more from him.
    But it completely worked with Rea no problem. Hunger games was an "original" IP, not at all Battle Royalle again perfectly well female led.

80s Robocop was loved but yeah more of a cult following IMHO but the reboot has been slated far more than it deserved.
    Karate Kid didn't get enough crap. It's kung-fu and in China as opposed to Karate in LA, led by Smith Jr

Much of the nerd rage aimed toward the film, to me stems from the fact that the nerds and fanboys won but now they have no idea what to do. Right now and for the foreseeable future most cinemas are going to be showing little more than generic comic book fare and fan boy favorite adaptations which will have the Internet up in arms over the simple fact that someone has dared to touch a beloved classic that in reality isn't all that great a film. I liked Ghostbusters, it's a fun film that I loved as a kid and can still enjoy as an adult but can see the films many flaws. Same goes for most films from my youth, they hold up well but so much of it is nostalgia and sadly so many can't pick up on that simple fact.

• Advertisement

Much of the nerd rage aimed toward the film, to me stems from the fact that the nerds and fanboys won but now they have no idea what to do. Right now and for the foreseeable future most cinemas are going to be showing little more than generic comic book fare and fan boy favorite adaptations which will have the Internet up in arms over the simple fact that someone has dared to touch a beloved classic that in reality isn't all that great a film. I liked Ghostbusters, it's a fun film that I loved as a kid and can still enjoy as an adult but can see the films many flaws. Same goes for most films from my youth, they hold up well but so much of it is nostalgia and sadly so many can't pick up on that simple fact.

Huge flaws (especially GB2) but on balance great flicks. This reboot "looks" like a one dimensional comedy vehicle, hope that I'm wrong as none of this is the actors fault.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,443 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

There's no escaping the fact that the visceral, extreme nature of the 'backlash' has been driven by the fact women are the leads. Before I get poked with pitchforks, I will stress there are legitimate concerns beyond that - that the trailers fail to inspire much confidence primary among them. But there have been bad trailers before, and there have been unnecessary remakes of classics before (not a goddamn peep about Terry Gilliam having the tenacity to remake La Jette :pac:). There's even been a pretty weak Ghostbusters film before! The sheer hysteria on display over this one in particular has undoubtedly been driven by the gender swap, and that has mixed with the general... cautiousness about the end product expressed by more reasonable critics (many of whom have expressed their opinions in this here thread) to create something that is a whole new level of wild, baffling internet outrage.

But yeah, if nothing else, it does provide something of an insight into contemporary fan culture that somebody more academically inclined than I am should do a thesis on. Hollywood has succeeded hook, line and sinker in making borderline zealots out of some franchise fans, and they've also triumphed in peddling refined nostalgia. With this film, though, the status quo has been shattered, and turned what is a mostly harmless if inherently cynical big-budget reboot, like so many others before it, into a mini culture war. As somebody who really couldn't care less about this film one way or the other (apart from my beyond false hope that it will be brilliant, just to watch the world burn) I look forward to observing the continuing madness.

Oh, and this will still make ****loads of money, thus proving the disparity that exists between web outrage and box office returns.
    silverharp wrote: »
    Star Wars is female led and no backlash

Actually, it did - for having female and black characters - albeit from a particularly horrid, reactionary minority. They made enough noise to draw attention to themselves, but thankfully they were largely ignored as the bigoted jackasses they were.

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭WoolyJumper

There's no escaping the fact that the visceral, extreme nature of the 'backlash' has been driven by the fact women are the leads. Before I get poked with pitchforks, I will stress there are legitimate concerns beyond that - that the trailers fail to inspire much confidence primary among them. But there have been bad trailers before, and there have been unnecessary remakes of classics before (not a goddamn peep about Terry Gilliam having the tenacity to remake La Jette :pac:). There's even been a pretty weak Ghostbusters film before! The sheer hysteria on display over this one in particular has undoubtedly been driven by the gender swap, and that has mixed with the general... cautiousness about the end product expressed by more reasonable critics (many of whom have expressed their opinions in this here thread) to create something that is a whole new level of wild, baffling internet outrage.

But yeah, if nothing else, it does provide something of an insight into contemporary fan culture that somebody more academically inclined than I am should do a thesis on. Hollywood has succeeded hook, line and sinker in making borderline zealots out of some franchise fans, and they've also triumphed in peddling refined nostalgia. With this film, though, the status quo has been shattered, and turned what is a mostly harmless if inherently cynical big-budget reboot, like so many others before it, into a mini culture war. As somebody who really couldn't care less about this film one way or the other (apart from my beyond false hope that it will be brilliant, just to watch the world burn) I look forward to observing the continuing madness.

Oh, and this will still make ****loads of money, thus proving the disparity that exists between web outrage and box office returns.

Actually, it did - for having female and black characters - albeit from a particularly horrid, reactionary minority. They made enough noise to draw attention to themselves, but thankfully they were largely ignored as the bigoted jackasses they were.

I think a lot of people have already decided they don't like it so at this point for them it will make no difference whether its good it or not. Even if it was critically acclaimed you would still have people claiming its that worst movie ever. For what its worth I don't think it will be bad or particularly amazing. I'll watch, probably enjoy it and get a few laughs from it but nothing more than that. At the same time I never thought the original was a master piece so maybe it's because I don't have the same connection or nostalgia around the original. Either way from the trailer the movie looks fine, its a C+ but people are reacting like its the devil incarnate coming to steal their childhood and I just don't get it.

It is a bit harsh the way upon it's release, all original copies of Ghostbusters will be wiped from their formats and all memories of the original will fade from memory almost instantly. That's what people are probably angry about. The way that always happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Heckler

Ah look, I was 11 when the original came out. I saw it in a cinema where they showed Bugs Bunny cartoons before the main movie, you could still smoke and there was no such thing as emergency lights. When the main movie came on it was pitch dark.

The opening scene in the library I nearly shat myself. Still a great jump scare.

The movie was iconic for so many people. Venkman was an outstanding character.

From the outfits to the eyesearing neon ghosts and the brutal humour it just looks terrible.

Yes its true. This man has no dick.

This one is never coming close.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Grayditch wrote: »
    It is a bit harsh the way upon it's release, all original copies of Ghostbusters will be wiped from their formats and all memories of the original will fade from memory almost instantly. That's what people are probably angry about. The way that always happens.
    First they took our video games, now it's our Ghostbusters!!!

I'm so rational. :mad:

e_e wrote: »
    First they took our video games, now it's our Ghostbusters!!!

I'm so rational. :mad:

Just remembered I'll have to forget Ghostbusters on the C64. I mean it was terrible... Actually maybe I won't miss that memory so much.

Grayditch wrote: »

More like
    Viewer: "I like the IP, I hope that they make more in the same tone/strucutre so that I may continue to enjoy new stories in the universe"

Studio Exec: We're rebooting; scrapping the characters, tone, horror, wit, and look while ramping up the slapstick

Viewer: FFS (angry face)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Heckler wrote:
    The movie was iconic for so many people. Venkman was an outstanding character.

I don't know what rating this movie will have, more than likely a 12A but there's every chance this movie is going to be iconic for some of the younger generation. I'm sure in the 80s there was some old fuddy duddy who thought the original was **** as well.

• Advertisement

Just don't put any hopes in reboots/remakes. Ever. They're hardly ever good. It makes life a lot easier. Don't get me wrong. Watch them, but don't stress yourself over them. They're gonna happen. Release control!

In return you get the nice odd surprise like (for me) Vacation and Robocop, Judge Dredd.

Advertisement