Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GhostBusters 2016 **SPOILERS FROM POST 1751 ONWARD**

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,269 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Tony EH wrote: »
    They do for most people.

If a trailer(s) is soooo bad, it WILL put people off of going to the cinema to see a film.

If they're good, it entices people to go and check the film out. I made the decision to go to see '10 Cloverfield Lane' based purely on the great trailer I saw on YouTube.

Going to the pictures is a relatively expensive luxury these days and forking out €15+ for shite is not on a lot of people's To Do list.

No doubt, this rubbish will do well enough, because it's nicked the name off of a well loved film. But based on what I've actually seen so far in the trailers, I certainly won't be wasting any money (or time) going to the cinema to see it.

No disagreement from me there but I would class these trailers as just plain generic rather than truly awful myself. I really don't think a film this harmless and bland looking has ever caused this much controversy before :D

I'm not pretending a good trailer won't make me interested in a film or a bad one won't put me off but if something looked bad in the trailers and ended up getting good reviews I'm always willing to give it a look (something tells me that might not be an issue here though).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭pumpkin4life

orubiru wrote: »
    Because it will annoy MRA, misogynist, sweaty, manchild, gamergate, angry nerds of course!! :D

At least that's what I've heard.

Hey, wouldn't you GLADLY fork out 20 euros to sit in front of a rubbish movie for 2 hours if it meant that known Twitter abuser NoFatChicks65646969 will cry himself to sleep at night? Come on! :pac:

There's been an increasing backlash from lads I know about diversity in films, but tbh, I don't even think its about that with this one.

One of the reasons that the original Ghostbusters appealed to people was because of the fact that it was an all male cast. The whole "we've been fired from our jobs, different men from different walks of life" friendship shine was one of the major themes and the major plot point (as far as I can remember, been ages since I've seen them) of the first two movies. A cast of all women is naturally going to change that.

If it was a spinoff based on the original ghostbusters, rather than titled ghostbusters 3, but everthing else the same (like the Everybody Wants Some movie, a spiritual successor) **** all lads would be talking about it in comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,287 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Penn wrote: »
    I disagree about people trying to justify going to it. I doubt I'll see it in the cinema (unless the reviews are really good). All I'm saying is that people are judging the film based on things that cannot be judged from the trailers alone, again, based on the post I originally quoted and similar comments from elsewhere

Oh come on, seriously? For every dickhead out there that's banging on about "wimmin in Ghostbusters", there are other dickheads saying it's going to be great because it's "wimmin in Ghostbusters" and both sides are equally nauseating. [/puke smilie].

The only fact we have to go on is that those trailers have been utterly terrible and a signifier that the film itself isn't that good. Even after the drubbing the first trailer got, they still couldn't put things right with the other trailers and I'd say that's because the content of the entire film is severely lacking, to say the least.

As for "judging", I'd say most people are only judging whether they'll go and see the film or not and so far they're going to do that based on the trailers.

Penn wrote: »
    I disagree about people trying to justify going to it. I doubt I'll see it in the cinema (unless the reviews are really good). All I'm saying is that people are judging the film based on things that cannot be judged from the trailers alone, again, based on the post I originally quoted and similar comments from elsewhere

It's an all women cast. You can see that from the trailers.

I don't care if they're women in it or not. I only care if it looks good. It looks **** so I'm not going to see it, unless it turns out to get good reviews from people whose opinion on movies I trust.

I think the backlash is a purely marketing one, not some men are sexist thing.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    No disagreement from me there but I would class these trailers as just plain generic rather than truly awful myself. I really don't think a film this harmless and bland looking has ever caused this much controversy before :D

I'm not pretending a good trailer won't make me interested in a film or a bad one won't put me off but if something looked bad in the trailers and ended up getting good reviews I'm always willing to give it a look (something tells me that might not be an issue here though).

Loads of things cause fandom to go into meltdown.

Where were you for the Star Wars prequels? That shitstorm makes this thing look like handbags and old ladies. :pac:

People go all "China Syndrome" over the slightest things and one of those things is movies.

However, I will say that there's more to this nu-Ghostbusters thing than just "sexists" getting their knickers in a twist or it "pissing all the right people off". I know plenty of very reasonable people who think this is a truly terrible idea. In general, I think vast majority of people who dislike the idea of this and what they've seen so far are just, quite rightly, sick of the endless "remake", "reboot", "reimagining" cycle, coupled with the generally poor product that results and nu-ghostbusters is just caught in the middle of that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,992 ✭✭✭Christy42

It's an all women cast. You can see that from the trailers.

I don't care if they're women in it or not. I only care if it looks good. It looks **** so I'm not going to see it, unless it turns out to get good reviews from people whose opinion on movies I trust.

I think the backlash is a purely marketing one, not some men are sexist thing.

It seems to be a combination. Plenty seemed ready to hate it no matter what because of the female cast. Of course then it actually looks like a terrible movie.

I can also see plenty going to see it based off of diversity (in spite of the racist stereotype of shout black woman who is none too bright but has street smarts).

Seriously though even the trailer didn't seem to know if it was a reboot or not. While I get movies will hold back jokes for viewers to enjoy in the cinema I can't believe they just showed the bad ones in the trailer. It seems very unlikely that this will turn out to be a good movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

There's been an increasing backlash from lads I know about diversity in films, but tbh, I don't even think its about that with this one.

One of the reasons that the original Ghostbusters appealed to people was because of the fact that it was an all male cast. The whole "we've been fired from our jobs, different men from different walks of life" friendship shine was one of the major themes and the major plot point (as far as I can remember, been ages since I've seen them) of the first two movies. A cast of all women is naturally going to change that.

Why would an all woman cast change that? I'm pretty sure that women can get fired, be from all different walks of life and have friendships that shine through.

To clarify; I'm NOT saying the movie will be good or bad, I just don't understand your point. Are those particular themes and plot points exclusive to men?

FunLover18 wrote: »
    Why would an all woman cast change that? I'm pretty sure that women can get fired, be from all different walks of life and have friendships that shine through.

To clarify; I'm NOT saying the movie will be good or bad, I just don't understand your point. Are those particular themes and plot points exclusive to men?

Yeah, grand stuff.

No of course they're not exclusive to men.

If I was to guess (pulling this out of nowhere) I would wager Ghostbusters is more popular for men than women. And for a lot of people, you can relate to something closer to yourself than father away from yourself.

So women relate to depictions of women friendship on screen stronger than men do. I wonder if say, there was a Bridemaids 2 with an all male cast and it looked ****e, what would the reaction from women be. Some bit similar to Ghostbusters 3 maybe.

Basically you've got a popular male orientated franchise marketed more towards women.

That's the interesting thing with this movie cause usually when a franchise does something like this it gets completely buried and fails, but the backlash with this movie is so big, it might just work out some bit the other way. That's a very new thing, wouldn't have existed a few years back. Internet thing?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,442 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

So women relate to depictions of women friendship on screen stronger than men do. I wonder if say, there was a Bridemaids 2 with an all male cast and it looked ****e, what would the reaction from women be. Some bit similar to Ghostbusters 3 maybe.

Well they'd have to reconsider the title of Bridesmaid, because a bridesmaid is an inherently gender-based concept, unlike, for example, being a ghostbuster. But if there was a male-led spin-off called Groomsmen I wouldn't forsee there being any backlash whatsoever.

Anyway, I'm long of the opinion that a good film will easily render any gender-orientated marketing or even creative direction moot and can be enjoyed by any rational viewer.

• Advertisement

Anyway, I'm long of the opinion that a good film will easily render any gender-orientated marketing or even creative direction moot and can be enjoyed by any rational viewer.

Agreed but I still reserve the right to bitch about them taking such an important issue and using it for (as far as I can see) publicity.
    This isn't the actors fault but when the first thing announced about the film is about a gender swap, it sets the tone as the execs reasoning.

Would have killed to have Dreyfus, Fey, Poehler and Wiig though

Edit: oh and a script which doesn't suck ass (looking bad at the moment)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

Well they'd have to reconsider the title of Bridesmaid, because a bridesmaid is an inherently gender-based concept
    Oh, so a man can't be a bridesmaid? How dare you.

https://www.google.ie/#q=male+bridesmaid

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,442 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

If Hollywood wants to make something with a more progressive view of 'bridespeople', go for it, would be delighted. I reckon we may be a ways away from that point though ;)

If Hollywood wants to make something with a more progressive view of 'bridespeople', go for it, would be delighted. I reckon we may be a ways away from that point though ;)

It would suck like if they (properly) reboot Alien and cast Chris Pratt as Ripley...

Shudder. And I like him as an actor

Yeah it may turn out to be a great film but... No

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

e_e wrote: »

More laughs? More gags maybe but that don't make them funny.

Quality over quantity Mr Stantz!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,324 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

actor who has a part in the movie is positive about movie shocker :pac:

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭ps3lover

I really don't have much nostalgia for Ghostbusters, I think the original movie is decent but it's not something I return to watch. I don't really have any fond memories of seeing it as a child.
    So when this remake was coming out, I was totally indifferent to it, didn't really care, don't care if the original cast was coming back or not, don't really care if the leads are all women, just didn't care.
    I saw the trailer, and like how I felt about Warcraft, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and Alice 2, I thought it looked awful. I made ONE comment, ONE ****ING COMMENT on Facebook saying I thought the trailer was an unfunny mess and was almost immediately accused of being a woman hating mysoginist. Because that's the only reason this movie doesn't look any good, because it stars women.
    It doesn't matter that I LOVE the Resident Evil and Underworld movies, I defended and loved The Thing Prequel (oh no they cast a women in a starring role!), I prefer female leads to male leads in horror movies. Apperently saying Ghostbusters looks lame now means you ****ing hate women, you are now the asshole rapists from I Spit On Your Grave.
    This has now gone from a film I didn't give a **** about, to a film I hate just because of that backlash.

ps3lover wrote: »
    I really don't have much nostalgia for Ghostbusters, I think the original movie is decent but it's not something I return to watch. I don't really have any fond memories of seeing it as a child.
    So when this remake was coming out, I was totally indifferent to it, didn't really care, don't care if the original cast was coming back or not, don't really care if the leads are all women, just didn't care.
    I saw the trailer, and like how I felt about Warcraft, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and Alice 2, I thought it looked awful. I made ONE comment, ONE ****ING COMMENT on Facebook saying I thought the trailer was an unfunny mess and was almost immediately accused of being a woman hating mysoginist. Because that's the only reason this movie doesn't look any good, because it stars women.
    It doesn't matter that I LOVE the Resident Evil and Underworld movies, I defended and loved The Thing Prequel (oh no they cast a women in a starring role!), I prefer female leads to male leads in horror movies. Apperently saying Ghostbusters looks lame now means you ****ing hate women, you are now the asshole rapists from I Spit On Your Grave.
    This has now gone from a film I didn't give a **** about, to a film I hate just because of that backlash.

One of many reasons I deplore and criticise feminism

But not loving the original is unforgivable

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭ps3lover

My mysoginy and hatred for women is really running rampant today as I also think Yoga Hosers looks absolutely dreadful.
    Monster Trucks also looks awful but that has a male lead so it's ok to think that one looks bad.

• Advertisement

I have just watched to women absolutely kicking ass in Person of Interest and am MAJOR SPOILER
    Gutted that Root dies!! But obviously more so that Elias dies cause he is a dude

Damn I am going to miss that show but not obviously the Root and Shaw characters. Too kick ass and not half enough real women:rolleyes:

py2006 wrote: »
    One of many reasons I deplore and criticise feminism

But not loving the original is unforgivable
    Ci7kQdBXIAA8F8L.jpg:medium

The original is fine tbh, I don't know why people hold it up as one of the great movie comedies. I think it's nostalgia speaking more than anything.

The original is fine tbh, I don't know why people hold it up as one of the great movie comedies. I think it's nostalgia speaking more than anything.

I think its more described as a scary-ish family movie with comedic elements more so than a comedy movie.

I get that but I still don't understand why this remake is the hill movie fans want to die on, I genuinely think there'd be less outrage at a Godfather or Casablanca remake at this stage. I think it's absurd and laughable to accuse everyone critical of it of sexism (I think this angle has been over-played and exaggerated too) but you can't deny that this film has incited such a perfect storm from thumbs-down warriors and trolls that you have to ask why that is really. Either it's a terrible movie that will be forgotten in a few months time wherein the original will be still canon or it will be decent enough popcorn fun and will engage with a new audience and generation. It's still win win for the original movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,992 ✭✭✭Christy42

I get that but I still don't understand why this remake is the hill movie fans want to die on, I genuinely think there'd be less outrage at a Godfather or Casablanca remake at this stage. I think it's absurd and laughable to accuse everyone critical of it of sexism (I think this angle has been over-played and exaggerated too) but you can't deny that this film has incited such a perfect storm from thumbs-down warriors and trolls that you have to ask why that is really. Either it's a terrible movie that will be forgotten in a few months time wherein the original will be still canon or it will be decent enough popcorn fun and will engage with a new audience and generation. It's still win win for the original movie.

I am curious if because some of it is because some do hate the movie because it has women and some presume that everyone who hates it is sexist. So while the majority hate it because it looks terrible (like many others that have looked terrible transformers, new ninja turtles etc.) they aren't the ones driving the debate. It is the loud shouty people on both sides and then ordinary people end up dragged back in through the same horrible instinct that leads to rubber necking.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

There is a level of vitriol being directed at this film that I can't remember seeing in regard to any other remake/reboot and I genuinely don't understand it. At least I know where the bigots are coming from but I cannot get my head around why people have reacted so strongly to the trailer not being funny/scary enough. Just don't go see it.

FunLover18 wrote: »
    There is a level of vitriol being directed at this film that I can't remember seeing in regard to any other remake/reboot and I genuinely don't understand it. At least I know where the bigots are coming from but I cannot get my head around why people have reacted so strongly to the trailer not being funny/scary enough. Just don't go see it.

For me anyway it's, while every studio film is to make money, this one is so cynically a cash grab trying to plsy heavily on nostalgia without really giving a crap about those same nostalgic audience members.

Even with Transformers I have not felt like a studio is trying to play me so much.

Also, straw breaking camel's back syndrome I guess

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

If it was a spinoff based on the original ghostbusters, rather than titled ghostbusters 3, but everthing else the same (like the Everybody Wants Some movie, a spiritual successor) **** all lads would be talking about it in comparison.

I remember it too, practically every poster for the film at the time specifically mentioned the all male cast. Critics thought it was the most fundamentally important pillar of the movie. In fact, the only reason it wasn't titled "Ghost all-male-team Busters" was that they couldn't fit the equivalent text onto the Scandinavian press pack. Everyone coming out of the first screenings was talking about nothing else apart from how all-male the Ghostbusters were, I didn't hear a thing about the marshmallow man or the proton packs for weeks until the hype about how all-male it was had died down.

• Advertisement

Also, straw breaking camel's back syndrome I guess

I think this is the crux of the matter and it could have happened with another remake/reboot just as easily.

Nu-Ghostbusters is just caught in the middle of audience fatigue with this seemingly endless cycle.

Plus, as strange as it may seem, there are uber fans of 'Ghostbusters' (mainly in America). I actually know a few. The hold 'Ghostbusters' up as "their Star Wars", so they tell me, and I've no reason to disbelieve them. But, the likes of those people were waiting a LONG time for 'Ghostbusters 3' and instead they got this shite. They feel "cheated" is some way. Plus with Harold Ramis kicking the bucket and the actors they loved from the original being replaced in a cynical reboot that "forgets" the original completely and is simply stealing the franchise name...they're completely pissed off that the chance for a third film is now well and truly dead.

Advertisement