Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GhostBusters 2016 **SPOILERS FROM POST 1751 ONWARD**

Options

Comments

They should just make a movie out of Extreme Ghostbusters already!

That was a heckuva' dark cartoon.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,442 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Any 'uber fans' of any franchise should, frankly, be completely ignored when considering the continuation of a series like Ghostbusters. Hardcore fans by their nature are irrational, hyperbolic and - if reams if fan fiction are anything to go by - completely untrustworthy when it comes to conjuring up worthwhile new stories. This is not to say a series should by any stretch ignore what made it special in the first place, but yeah the most obsessive fans are usually well worth blocking out.

And let's be perfectly honest here: for all the accusations of studio and creative cynicism that can be directed at this film, a Ghostbusters 3 would very likely be an inherent misguided idea. You already have a sequel that was in its way cynical and delivered well diminished returns. Key cast members have expressed active hostility towards the idea, suggesting that their involvement would likely be predicated on a massive payday (or, much more unlikely, a really good script). Ivan Reitman hasn't turned in a great film since... erm... arguably Ghostbusters 1 (heck, he's barely turned in decent ones - Evolution was a bit of fun, I guess). Has been an almost equally long time since the most game original cast member has been in anything decent. And then there's the long, sordid history of belated sequels - the utterly pointless ones far outweighing the ones that were actually worthwhile.

As somebody who is generally indifferent to the series as a whole, and unsure whether this film will/can be anything beyond merely decent (although I naturally am unwilling to offer any actual conclusive judgement until having actually seen it, if I see it at all), I still believe if Hollywood must redundantly 'reboot' something you may as well do it with a fresh creative team to make it feel like something different than what has come before. Certainly would prefer it over an almost inevitably 'we're too old for this ****'-esque sequels to the originals.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,287 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Any 'uber fans' of any franchise should, frankly, be completely ignored when considering the continuation of a series like Ghostbusters. Hardcore fans by their nature are irrational, hyperbolic and - if reams if fan fiction are anything to go by - completely untrustworthy when it comes to conjuring up worthwhile new stories. This is not to say a series should by any stretch ignore what made it special in the first place, but yeah the most obsessive fans are usually well worth blocking out.

Except studios want their dollars, so they don't get ignored. The people who kept going back to the likes of Star Wars or Star Trek are the uber fans that Disney etc want in the seats at the cinema. They are the guys that fork out stupid amounts of money for the books, t-shirts and the toys, etc. They're the very heart and soul of stuff like this, not average Joe and Josephine soap and their 2.4 children that pop along to the pictures for something to do on a Sunday afternoon.
    And let's be perfectly honest here: for all the accusations of studio and creative cynicism that can be directed at this film, a Ghostbusters 3 would very likely be an inherent misguided idea. You already have a sequel that was in its way cynical and delivered well diminished returns. Key cast members have expressed active hostility towards the idea, suggesting that their involvement would likely be predicated on a massive payday (or, much more unlikely, a really good script). Ivan Reitman hasn't turned in a great film since... erm... arguably Ghostbusters 1 (heck, he's barely turned in decent ones - Evolution was a bit of fun, I guess). Has been an almost equally long time since the most game original cast member has been in anything decent. And then there's the long, sordid history of belated sequels - the utterly pointless ones far outweighing the ones that were actually worthwhile.

There isn't a single doubt in my mind that 'Ghostbusters 3' would have been pretty bad. 'Ghostbusters' is a film that rode a certain zeitgeist in 1984 and hasn't captured that spirit since, despite the efforts of Hollywood execs and they never will in my opinion.

Sometimes, things should just die an honourable death. But, this is Hollywood we're talking about. Honour need not apply. :pac:

And I agree completely, the original cast haven't been tearing up the screen in quality shows either, with the exception of maybe Bill Murray, who has been in a few good things, like 'Groundhog Day'.
    As somebody who is generally indifferent to the series as a whole, and unsure whether this film will/can be anything beyond merely decent (although I naturally am unwilling to offer any actual conclusive judgement until having actually seen it, if I see it at all), I still believe if Hollywood must redundantly 'reboot' something you may as well do it with a fresh creative team to make it feel like something different than what has come before.

Or...just make some, ya know...new stuff. :(

Feig and his troupe have already shown they can come up with original ideas.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Ivan Reitman hasn't turned in a great film since... erm... arguably Ghostbusters 1 (heck, he's barely turned in decent ones - Evolution was a bit of fun, I guess).

I watched Evolution without noticing that it was by the guy who made Ghostbusters, and was quite puzzled by it.

Mad scientist comes across freaky stuff, tries to work on it, the Feds kick him out, a monster escapes and the good guys explode it splashing goo everywhere.

Then I realized it was Reitman trying to recapture the Ghostbusters formula, and missing by several miles. Painfully unfunny.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

That feel when you come to the Ghostbusters thread thinking there's news :/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

• Registered Users Posts: 18,324 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

its a political act to see this movie :pac:

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

MundaneMatt, skip.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,324 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

e_e wrote: »
    MundaneMatt, skip.

the TLDR version is the studio/PR have run out of ideas to sell this film on merit so are pushing that "you" have to see this as a political statement

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

silverharp wrote: »
    the TLDR version is the studio/PR have run out of ideas to sell this film on merit so are pushing that "you" have to see this as a political statement
    They should put "When you buy a ticket a Gamergater somewhere sheds a single tear." on the poster. :D

• Advertisement

So every negative reaction is what... according to this??

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭WoolyJumper

So every negative reaction is what... according to this??

She (I think) didn't imply every negative reaction is because everyone who hates the movie is sexist if thats what you were thinking. But she did say there was an element of that to it. Especially from certain youtubers you seem to dedicate their lives criticism feminism and "SJW's" Also rightly pointed out that though there have been many remakes, good and bad that have gone under the radar the ones that have caused the biggest stir recently (before they were even released) was Mad Max (female lead) and Star Wars (Female and black male lead). I'm not very good a condensing down other peoples arguments (at least not quickly). It's an interesting read and she makes some good points......if you are invested enough to read a long article about it :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,442 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

the studio/PR have run out of ideas to sell this film on merit so are pushing that "you" have to see this as a political statement

Ah yes, the old 'jet fuel can't melt steel beams' of Ghostbusters criticism.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

the ones that have caused the biggest stir recently (before they were even released) was Mad Max (female lead) and Star Wars (Female and black male lead).

I don't recall there being much of an issue with these and when released they were great performances and we'll received.

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭WoolyJumper

py2006 wrote: »
    I don't recall there being much of an issue with these and when released they were great performances and we'll received.

Yeah they were well received once they were released. I can't speak for mad max because i never had any interest in the film but certainly for star wars there was a lot of controversy. Especially about Finn being black. But still nothing compared to the hate ghostbusters is getting.

Max drew massive ire from misogynistic quarters, much more vile than the GB comments for me as GB has relevant worries being lumped in with the haters (unfairly)

The only part of the Max critics that was not misogynistic was that the promotion made it appear the the studio didn't have faith in Hardy, and felt that they needed Theron to rescue it. Making it appear that Max was not the main character (regardless of him being generally silent anyway).
    That was the vast vast minority (and unnecessary) vocal worriers, the rest was pure hate

Better grab some popcorn.

hbomberguy also did a great video about one guy's (who shall no longer be mentioned in this thread) reaction to the Ghostbusters trailer.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

• Registered Users Posts: 7,992 ✭✭✭Christy42

Yeah they were well received once they were released. I can't speak for mad max because i never had any interest in the film but certainly for star wars there was a lot of controversy. Especially about Finn being black. But still nothing compared to the hate ghostbusters is getting.

I feel the issue is that Star wars and fury road always looked like good films so only the nuts (and a few on personal taste) gave out about it.
    Here you have all the nuts giving out about it cos da women's as well people that think it is going to be terrible. Things like the Turtles never had this issue as nuts didn't give out about it for stupid political reasons so people didn't feel the need to defend on political views either so it never developed into an issue. It was just accepted that it was going to be bad and make much more money than it deserved.

It has spiraled as you can now not criticise the casting choices or the trailer quality without having to defend yourself pre-emptively, against comments of sexism which then fuels more sinister comments ad nauseum

• Advertisement

In fairness the trailers for Star Wars were amazing and hopefully relayed any fears those had with Finn and Rey.

Ghostbusters trailers on the other hand...

hbomberguy also did a great video about one guy's (who shall no longer be mentioned in this thread) reaction to the Ghostbusters trailer.

Fair enough, there was some. But I never really came across it at the time.

There is a huge backlash to the GB trailers but for different reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Idiots get shared more than people talking sense, these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

wNMzO6Z.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 4,483 ✭✭✭tigger123

Great piece, cheers for sharing!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,483 ✭✭✭tigger123

I don't think the trailer is as bad as people are making out. But if you don't like the look of a film, don't watch it, it's that simple.

There is a worrying campaign developing here. Basically the ONLY people complaining about the trailer are the 'men who hate women' group according to some. We are all pathetic neanderthal mysoginists who can't get laid...

Personally I warmed to the idea of a female cast once I got over the disappointment of the original cast not being used. Albeit there could be one or two better female cast members.

The movie is never going to live up to the cultural phenomenon that was the original. It's doomed to heavy criticism no mater the gender of the cast.

If there were four male actors used and it was the same trailers you would still get the heavy criticism. Unfortunately the 'you are not allowed criticise women' brand of modern feminism has taken over. It will be interesting to see how many of these feminists will see the movie...

On a brighter note, I will be there on opening night. I'm curious to see what they do, I'm intrigued as to what nods and winks to the original they will use and of course the cameos.

I showed my dad (71) the trailer and he was surprised at the female cast but enjoyed the trailer as he liked the original when he brought me as a kid. I think I will bring him.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭BMMachine

I just think it looks sh*t, women or no women :) Same as the remakes of Total Recall and Robocop and so forth, just a load of nonsense

Unfortunately the 'you are not allowed criticise women' brand of modern feminism has taken over.
    Nonsense, utter nonsense. Why is it that I've seen plenty of men criticize the trailer without nary a word said against them? Is it because they aren't whiny/entitled and don't appear to have a ridiculous chip on their shoulder about certain groups?

• Advertisement

It's funny how the internet exaggerates things to a ridiculous extent though. I went to see The Nice Guys today and this trailer played before it. Had a sinking feeling at the start and you know what happened? The trailer played, I chuckled once or twice and heard a few laughs from the back of a near empty cinema. There was no drama, the trailer passed and we then silently moved onto watching the movie.

Everything's gonna be okay.

Advertisement