Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GhostBusters 2016 **SPOILERS FROM POST 1751 ONWARD**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

e_e wrote: »
    Nonsense, utter nonsense. Why is it that I've seen plenty of men criticize the trailer without nary a word said against them? Is it because they aren't whiny/entitled and don't appear to have a ridiculous chip on their shoulder about certain groups?

I actually agree. I am talking about the people saying the hate for the trailer is because it is women and not actually because it doesn't look great.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭yqtwqxqm

I dont really want a female or a black James Bond.
    Its just not my image of James Bond.

What does that make me? I know ive been labelled. It seems all must be labelled these days.

I also didnt want Daniel Craig as James Bond when he was announced. He was excellent though when i saw the movie.

yqtwqxqm wrote: »
    I dont really want a female or a black James Bond.
    Its just not my image of James Bond.

What does that make me? I know ive been labelled. It seems all must be labelled these days.

Female Dr Who? I'd go for that.

In fairness to a black or female James Bond, it would definitely buy into the fact that Bond is just the codeword they adapt once they become that particular spy. Having said that, I do hope the female one sticks with the mantel, but Jane Bond is likely.

I'd absolutely love to see Idris Elba in the role.

py2006 wrote: »

Wouldnt work for me either.
    But then I didnt want Matt Smith either when he was announced. He turned out a good Doctor though.

• Advertisement

yqtwqxqm wrote: »
    Wouldnt work for me either.
    But then I didnt want Matt Smith either when he was announced. He turned out a good Doctor though.

So you have been wrong now twice! :D

Dr Who would work I think but I wouldn't be crazy about a Jane Bond

So you have been wrong now twice! :D

Dr Who would work I think but I wouldn't be crazy about a Jane Bond

Im wrong a lot.
    But sometimes I dont realize until after its all done.
    You wouldnt want me making decisions for casting in Hollywood.

I'd absolutely watch a female James Bond if they got the casting right, if they matched the whole persona, but have them be, er, manizing. Because I don't think the gender or the race has anything to do with it, if they can do justice to the role itself. And to the franchise.

And I think that's the biggest issue with this incarnation of the Ghostbusters - based on the actor's previous work and the trailers, none of them seem to do justice to the roles, bar Wiig, who I love. I'd gladly see her in absolutely anything.

And I think that's the biggest issue with this incarnation of the Ghostbusters - based on the actor's previous work and the trailers, none of them seem to do justice to the roles, bar Wiig, who I love. I'd gladly see her in absolutely anything.

Yea I like Wiig. Hopefully she will be good in this. The others worry me more. There are better choices out there.

Why? Why do it?

One of the only male action heros who doesn't use violence and you want to remove that?
    For what point other than ohh look how progressive?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Benedict Cumberbatch as Moneypenny.

Why? Why do it?

Why not? Its a generic character as opposed to James Bond.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

Grayditch wrote: »
    Benedict Cumberbatch as Moneypenny.

I could actually see that working !

Just watched the most recent trailer again and its not as bad as the first one and it has grown on me slightly.

But damn, I can't get over how awful the suits are.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Why? Why do it?

One of the only male action heros who doesn't use violence and you want to remove that?
    For what point other than ohh look how progressive?

If you have to ask why, you don't understand the character at all. The doctor is not an "action hero", and is an alien who regenerates into random bodies. What's odd and totally not understandable is why we *haven't* seen the doctor regenerate female yet.

If you have to ask why, you don't understand the character at all. The doctor is not an "action hero", and is an alien who regenerates into random bodies. What's odd and totally not understandable is why we *haven't* seen the doctor regenerate female yet.

He is totally an action hero. Are you saying that the show is not action filled and he is the hero?

The show has only twice referenced gender changes? Corsair and the Galifrey commander?
    Corsair was an offhand comment and on Galifrey last season totally forced you mean?

Can you please point out where it's ever stated as random bodies?

So tell me, what's the point in doing it?

So tell me, what's the point in doing it?

Wow, why are you so dead against it?

It is one of the few so called male roles that a quirky female actress could easily take over.

Not all doctors are male you know! ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

One of the only male action heros who doesn't use violence and you want to remove that? For what point other than ohh look how progressive?

I see the importance of having an action hero who doesn't use violence but why does it have to be male?

FunLover18 wrote: »
    I see the importance of having an action hero who doesn't use violence but why does it have to be male?

Because he has always been a male role model for the typical audience (young boys)

• Advertisement

It is one of the few so called male roles that a quirky female actress could easily take over.

So your reason is "just because"?

I'm not necessarily advocating for it, I am just saying why not. I could actually see it working if they get the right actress.

Now if you were to say a female Rambo, Rocky, Bond I'd be with ya on that :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,992 ✭✭✭Christy42

Surely it would be better to have roles started off by great female leads? In this regard ghost busters are doing it the right way by not having them be the same characters (but to do it better make a good movie like star wars or fury road).

Shrugs and as a guy I don't have experience not seeing my gender not be the hero all the time so will take a correction. I would still happily watch a female doctor and quite a few could pull it off. But the fact that it is described as a female doctor seems like it isn't quite equality.

The likes of Peg Carter or Jessica Jones aren't the female anything. Their roles are defined by their characters (which happen to be female) as opposed to being a female version of something else.

Christy42 wrote: »
    But the fact that it is described as a female doctor seems like it isn't quite equality.

Ah come on.

Equality has nothing to do with it. The role as been has always been male, that is why we are saying female doctor. The female part doesnt degrade it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,442 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Mod note: Getting fairly off topic here, let's stick with Ghostbusters discussion please folks :)

My bad! Who ya gonnna call?

There hasn't been much discussion on their jumpsuit thingies, I think they look awful.

ghostbusters-iii.jpg

ghostbusters-screengrab-01.jpg?itok=U8ME09TP

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Those look like their 'first attempt' suits, that superheroes try making themselves when they first start out.

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭WoolyJumper

My bad! Who ya gonnna call?

There hasn't been much discussion on their jumpsuit thingies, I think they look awful.

ghostbusters-iii.jpg

ghostbusters-screengrab-01.jpg?itok=U8ME09TP

I know, they look so....jumpsuity. They are women. They should be wearing skin tight lycra and high heels. Well the hot ones anyway.

• Advertisement

Unfortunately this is the closet we will get to a proper sequel...

Advertisement