Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GhostBusters 2016 **SPOILERS FROM POST 1751 ONWARD**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,324 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

is there something as well with some game and movie package which seems to be pants?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Haha. At this stage I'm sure they're like "In for a penny in for a pound with the outrage, let's get F.O.B and Missy Elliot to do the song".

Wait.

Are Fallout Boy actually still a thing?

Also goddamn this song sucks so far. They should've used the theme from Extreme Ghostbusters.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Aubrey Plaza would have been a good choice.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,497 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I think someone wayyyyyy back in this thread suggested a female Ghostbusters team featuring the likes of Amy Poehler and Julia Louis-Dreyfus; throw in Plaza and maybe Poehler's best bud Tina Fey and personally that could have been dream team. Mind you, I would also suspect those above names were much more expensive than 3/4s of the new crowd.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

:mad:

I remember when the first Spider-man movie came out and Nickleback did the song for it. That was also a bit meh. This tune sounds like the movie looks, a cheap knock off with no imagination used and no creativity.

Its getting tiring criticising this movie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

:mad:

Sounds more like the start to Men in Black???

That is just awful. THEY ARE RUINING MY CHILDHOOD

pixelburp wrote: »
    I think someone wayyyyyy back in this thread suggested a female Ghostbusters team featuring the likes of Amy Poehler and Julia Louis-Dreyfus; throw in Plaza and maybe Poehler's best bud Tina Fey and personally that could have been dream team. Mind you, I would also suspect those above names were much more expensive than 3/4s of the new crowd.

I had said similar. Keep Wiig in place of Plaza. A few people were saying similar before me.

I would have watched the **** outta that cast

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,442 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

syklops wrote: »

So what did you think of Embrace of the Serpent? Cemetery of Splendour? Did you watch the Arabian Nights trilogy on Mubi? Looking forward to Remainder tomorrow? :)

That is just awful. THEY ARE RUINING MY CHILDHOOD

Sounds more like the start to Men in Black???

No offence, but if this is ruining your childhood then it may not have been all that great. I like Ghostbusters as much as the next 30 year old and that song is woeful but it or the film will have no impact on my life and certainty won't lead me to look back on my childhood any differently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭ps3lover

I thought it would be considered misogyny to say that the song is bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

Ah sure 'Ghostbusters' was just a rip-off of Huey Lewis' 'I Want a New Drug' anyway ;)

Negative intuitions about this film seem like low-hanging fruit at this stage, but yeeesh that cover's a stinker. Honestly though, it's about the standard for those typical Hollywood, credits-music pop tie-in.

was just thinking that.

its shyte but its entirely in line with "homages" of other songs/tie ins for reboots. in fact its not that bad compared to the worst offenders in that category.

though i will say it gets spectacuarly worse towards the end. dunno what they were thinking at that part.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Ah sure 'Ghostbusters' was just a rip-off of Huey Lewis' 'I Want a New Drug' anyway ;)

It was later revealed that the filmmakers were to blame for this. They had been using "I Want a New Drug" on the temp track. Initially they asked Lewis to record a song but he refused, so they hired Parker instead and said "copy this", which he did. This is the norm with film scores and there's never any lawsuits, but it's obviously not acceptable in pop music, even though artists copy other artists all the time.

Here's "Pop Muzik" by M from 1979, four years before "I Want a New Drug". Sound familiar? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

So what did you think of Embrace of the Serpent? Cemetery of Splendour? Did you watch the Arabian Nights trilogy on Mubi? Looking forward to Remainder tomorrow? :)

I know you are trying to make a clever point here, but I have no idea what.

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭WoolyJumper

The cast were on Graham Norton last week and I can't deny the two clips they showed of the movie did not look funny to me. The trailers I found quiet funny but if the movie is anything like those clips then I don't hold much hope. In saying that, I still don't think this is going to be the worst movie ever and the reaction is way out of proportion to what it should be. Still such a shame because the three i'm familiar with in the movie Wigg, McCarthy McKinnon are very funny in my opinion.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,442 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

No clever point at all, just think there's plenty of other interesting films knocking around at the moment that are well worth discussing if you're fed up of criticising this one :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

His point is quite obvious. If you're tired criticising this movie there's a wealth of other films out there you could watch or criticise without having seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

I remember when the first Spider-man movie came out and Nickleback did the song for it. That was also a bit meh. This tune sounds like the movie looks, a cheap knock off with no imagination used and no creativity.

But its not even out yet! The film hasn't been given any chance at all, and isn't going to be.

Ha yeah. I don't like that Nickelback song at all. Not a bit. Not a soft spot for it at all, at all...

:/

• Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I hope they didn't spend any budget on a post-credit sequence.

With that song playing full blast over the credits, it'll clear the room faster than a dose of laxatives in your large coke.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭BMMachine

that was me
    I had Mindy Kaling in there too, for um... 'flavour'
    Julia Louis Dreyfuss was completely robbed imo. She is literally the perfect female replacement for the Bill Murray type character.

but hey, Melissa McCarthy is loud and jokes are funnier when shouted

• Registered Users Posts: 19,286 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

The cast were on Graham Norton last week and I can't deny the two clips they showed of the movie did not look funny to me. The trailers I found quiet funny but if the movie is anything like those clips then I don't hold much hope. In saying that, I still don't think this is going to be the worst movie ever and the reaction is way out of proportion to what it should be. Still such a shame because the three i'm familiar with in the movie Wigg, McCarthy McKinnon are very funny in my opinion.

The girls were funny, but the film looks shit. There's no getting around it.

It's been given to the wrong people. It's as simple as that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Slydice wrote: »
    That feel when you come to the Ghostbusters thread thinking there's news :/

Same..

anyway..

https://twitter.com/FallOutBoyInfo/status/744222782033002497

...at least there's DMX and A$ap Ferg, I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

No offence, but if this is ruining your childhood then it may not have been all that great. I like Ghostbusters as much as the next 30 year old and that song is woeful but it or the film will have no impact on my life and certainty won't lead me to look back on my childhood any differently.

Well that was meant to be a joke....but anyway, had a great, amazing very fulfilled childhood. Maybe you should examine your childhood more closely.

Well that was meant to be a joke....but anyway, had a great, amazing very fulfilled childhood. Maybe you should examine your childhood more closely.

Mine was great and unlike so many others I didn't turn into a 30 year old child who thinks that the entertainment industry owes me something. This isn't aimed at you, but the amount of posts across social media in relation to how such and such reboot or slight change to beloved character "raped my childhood" is just pathetic. It's offensive that people can compare remaking a film to such a vile act.

Ghostbusters 2016 looks rather bland and uninteresting but then so did so many other films I've enjoyed. I don't think this is a film that will be considered a classic but the level of vitriol directed at aspect of it is way out of sync. For me anyways, the trailer is on par with that of any Marvel one, it leaves me with a sense of meh but then I'm one of those odd people who is more excited for Johnnie To's Three or The Wailing or Cemetery of Splendor than any of the big blockbusters. For anyone getting upset by the new Ghostbusters, I'd suggest widening you cinematic scope and not watch the film but instead support a smaller film or simply stay at home and rewatch the original.

Mine was great and unlike so many others I didn't turn into a 30 year old child who thinks that the entertainment industry owes me something. This isn't aimed at you, but the amount of posts across social media in relation to how such and such reboot or slight change to beloved character "raped my childhood" is just pathetic. It's offensive that people can compare remaking a film to such a vile act.

Ghostbusters 2016 looks rather bland and uninteresting but then so did so many other films I've enjoyed. I don't think this is a film that will be considered a classic but the level of vitriol directed at aspect of it is way out of sync. For me anyways, the trailer is on par with that of any Marvel one, it leaves me with a sense of meh but then I'm one of those odd people who is more excited for Johnnie To's Three or The Wailing or Cemetery of Splendor than any of the big blockbusters. For anyone getting upset by the new Ghostbusters, I'd suggest widening you cinematic scope and not watch the film but instead support a smaller film or simply stay at home and rewatch the original.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

This isn't aimed at you, but the amount of posts across social media in relation to how such and such reboot or slight change to beloved character "raped my childhood" is just pathetic. It's offensive that people can compare remaking a film to such a vile act.
    Easily offended much? Nobody is making light of rape, by using that term. It's the same as watching something like "2 girls, 1 cup", and saying it "raped my eyes". Literally nothing bad happens, because of someone using the word "rape" like that. Yeah, you get offended, because you choose to get offended. You're not doing anything for rape victims, by saying it's "offensive that people can compare remaking a film to such a vile act", you're just saying you get easily offended. Great.

I find it funny that the biggest defenders of the new Ghostbusters, say stuff like, "I would never watch such a terrible looking comedy, like the new Ghostbusters, I watch stuff like Cemetery of Splendour..." Who cares what you actually watch? You're still defending what seems like a terrible film.

Easily offended much? Nobody is making light of rape, by using that term. It's the same as watching something like "2 girls, 1 cup", and saying it "raped my eyes". Literally nothing bad happens, because of someone using the word "rape" like that. Yeah, you get offended, because you choose to get offended. You're not doing anything for rape victims, by saying it's "offensive that people can compare remaking a film to such a vile act", you're just saying you get easily offended. Great.

I find it funny that the biggest defenders of the new Ghostbusters, say stuff like, "I would never watch such a terrible looking comedy, like the new Ghostbusters, I watch stuff like Cemetery of Splendour..." Who cares what you actually watch? You're still defending what seems like a terrible film.

I wasn't offended in the least but for people who have suffered so to have it trivialized and used in such a frivolous manner is offensive to them. Maybe, it's not, maybe rape victims have no problem with someone equating what happened to them with the remaking of a film or the changing of a character.

Also, can I ask where I said I would never watch the new Ghostbusters, if you read back through the thread you'll find a post where I said that I am in fact looking forward to taking my 8 year old brother to see it as he loves the original films and is excited to see the new film. Also, I'm not so much defending the film as merely suggesting the people hold back judging it till they see it or at least even see the critical response. You'd also see from my posting history that I will give almost anything a chance, sure my cinematic tastes generally favor some more esoteric offerings and I'm more excited for Cemetery of Splendor than I am any major Hollywood productiont this year but I'll be first in line to see Independence Day and the Secret Life of Pets this weekend. People have such a narrow view of cinema that most seem to think that Hollywood is the be all and end all, there's so many great looking films being released in the coming months that it's hard to get upset just because some $150+ million film looks mediocre. The outcry over something like the Ghostbusters remake makes me think that some people really need to get their priorities right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

I wasn't offended in the least but for people who have suffered so to have it trivialized and used in such a frivolous manner is offensive to them. Maybe, it's not, maybe rape victims have no problem with someone equating what happened to them with the remaking of a film or the changing of a character.

Also, can I ask where I said I would never watch the new Ghostbusters, if you read back through the thread you'll find a post where I said that I am in fact looking forward to taking my 8 year old brother to see it as he loves the original films and is excited to see the new film. Also, I'm not so much defending the film as merely suggesting the people hold back judging it till they see it or at least even see the critical response. You'd also see from my posting history that I will give almost anything a chance, sure my cinematic tastes generally favor some more esoteric offerings and I'm more excited for Cemetery of Splendor than I am any major Hollywood productiont this year but I'll be first in line to see Independence Day and the Secret Life of Pets this weekend. People have such a narrow view of cinema that most seem to think that Hollywood is the be all and end all, there's so many great looking films being released in the coming months that it's hard to get upset just because some $150+ million film looks mediocre. The outcry over something like the Ghostbusters remake makes me think that some people really need to get their priorities right.

So in short, everyone should be more like you. Cos you're great.

Advertisement